[tunefix-update] Automated Freeview channel updates

Easier to ask and get the answer a couple of mins later
In the old days, rather than spend half an hour trawling the shelves of the library to find something one, just asked the librarian and they'd point you straight at it. They were happy to help, and it justified their job.
Now it's the new days and the 'librarians'* tell you off for asking :cry: :)

(* the keepers of internet info)

Last edited:
I didn't notice a tunefix update this week but my Talking Pictures is on 81 and tunefix is on 1.6.5 (can't find a date in the info). Is that the latest?

Edit. My WebIf has now flashed a message that tunefix-update has gone from 1.0.29 to 1.0.30. If that is the change to move TP to 81 I'm seriously confused.

Ditto,
I don't have COM7 but now have channel 81 on on COM6
Tunefix-update only updated this morning
I'm always confused :o_O:

In the old days, rather than spend half an hour trawling the shelves of the library to find something one, just asked the librarian and they'd point you straight at it. They were happy to help, and it justified their job.
Now it's the new days and the 'librarians' tell you off for asking :cry: :)

Not in our neck of the woods, the staff at our library are second to none in helpfulness. ( Nowt to do with CF, but I couldn't let that one pass!)

I don't think I have seen a recent update of tunefix-update.
I don't have auto-update on and it didn't show any packages needing updating.
That's odd, given the package is over 2 days old. Are you absolutely sure you have tunefix-update installed and not just tunefix?
Try this and report the output:
Code:
humax# opkg remove tunefix-update
humax# opkg install tunefix-update
humax# ls -l /mod/boot/tunefix-update.conf
Then reboot and see if /tmp/xinit.log is any different to previously (no need to post it all again).
If it doesn't (and assuming you already have services from COM6 tuned), then you'll need to PM me your tuning database in /var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db so I can take a look. Otherwise it'll be endless to and fro messages (and I ought to be out doing bl@@dy shopping and stuff).

Not in our neck of the woods, the staff at our library are second to none in helpfulness. ( Nowt to do with CF, but I couldn't let that one pass!)
Yes, I put librarians in inverted commas the second time - the real ones are still good, when there are any. I've added a note to clarify :)

I didn't notice a tunefix update this week but my Talking Pictures is on 81 and tunefix is on 1.6.5 (can't find a date in the info). Is that the latest?
There hasn't been a tunefix update this week. 1.6.5 is the latest.
My WebIf has now flashed a message that tunefix-update has gone from 1.0.29 to 1.0.30. If that is the change to move TP to 81 I'm seriously confused.
It is, but Talking Pictures is on LCN 81 both before the move and after. You need to check to see whether you are getting pictures or just an info. slate to see whether you're on the correct mux. or not.

There hasn't been a tunefix update this week. 1.6.5 is the latest.
Yeah, sorry, my confusion.

It is, but Talking Pictures is on LCN 81 both before the move and after. You need to check to see whether you are getting pictures or just an info. slate to see whether you're on the correct mux. or not.
OK, I got the impression from previous posts that it had moved to 81.
The box is off now and since tunefix-update has updated I imagine it will do the change on next boot. I'll check then.
Is there actually a way to see which mux a channel is (trying to be) on?

OK, I got the impression from previous posts that it had moved to 81.
#91 and #93 clearly say it's a mux. move not an LCN change.
Is there actually a way to see which mux a channel is (trying to be) on?
Cross reference the Mux. Info. page on the WebIf's Diagnostics screen with the data given in the link in #96 ?

Well, before applying tunefix-update this morning, I did not have a CH81, but do now.

It's much easier to ask someone who knows off the op of his head rather than trawling through a long list that you didn't know existed (or, more explicitely, where), looking for "Talking Pictures", esp. when they have asked you to provide feedback on something that you care not a jot about.:p
Enough already!

Last edited:
Now it's the new days and the 'librarians'* tell you off for asking :cry: :)
I don't mind people asking and I'm happy to provide directions - I just get narked when you tell them which shelf to look on and they expect you to go and fetch it, and then read it out to them!

It would be nice if the tunefix-update thread tracked implemented changes (I know it has done, but I don't recall seeing this one advertised).

#91 and #93 clearly say it's a mux. move not an LCN change.
Yes, I'd seen that. But somehow I managed to acquire a false memory that somewhere in all the posts it had been on 80. You then said it was on 81.

Cross reference the Mux. Info. page on the WebIf's Diagnostics screen with the data given in the link in #96 ?
Thanks.

I just get narked when you tell them which shelf to look on and they expect you to go and fetch it, and then read it out to them!
Quite so. But sometimes the response (and this isn't aimed at you or anyone in particular) is more along the lines of "It's in the wiki. Go hunt."

Tunefix-update only updated this morning
I think I might just have to build in its own update mechanism. Relying on auto-update or manual update is not great.
To be more precise I only saw the webif alert message for the update this morning
According to the Activity log it actually updated yesterday
Code:
01/12/2017 07:50:21 - Automatically upgraded package tunefix-update from 1.0.29 to 1.0.30
System has been booted at least once a day every day this week

Quite so. But sometimes the response (and this isn't aimed at you or anyone in particular) is more along the lines of "It's in the wiki. Go hunt."
I agree to an extent, but I also offer the defence that both the wiki and the forum are equipped with search engines (and failing that there's Google "site:hummy.tv <search term>") - which is quite often how I track down something to refer somebody to... who could equally well have done that themselves once they knew to look.

Do you want to give someone a fish, or encourage them to learn how to catch as many fish as they need?

It would be nice if the tunefix-update thread tracked implemented changes (I know it has done, but I don't recall seeing this one advertised).
I think I only did it for major changes. Things like shifting LCNs on minority (cr@p) channels didn't seem that worthy to me. But I can do it if that's what people want.

So, here's what's happened since Freeview Retune day (1.0.25):

1.0.26:
Remove 3 x Adult, Rishtey Europe, Colors HD, Community/TCC
LCN change for Blaze and Blaze+1
Rename Kix to POP Max
Add TCC on new mux.
Clear any legacy from Freeview Retune day​

1.0.27:
LCN change for QUEST+1 and Quest Red+1
Add Forces TV​

1.0.28:
Mux. move for True Christmas.
Add 675 to list of removed streamed channels.​

1.0.29:
Remove TJC Choice
LCN change for TV Warehouse
Rename Spike to 5Spike and Chart Show TV to The Vault​

1.0.30 (also includes changes from 1.0.29):
Mux. move for TalkingPictures TV
Rename Kiss to KISS​

tunefix-update could post a red alert on the webif to warn users when it has made a change to the tuning.
Possibly, but you already know you've updated it if you do the package upgrade manually, and if it's automatically upgraded then you get an alert to tell you so.

Possibly, but you already know you've updated it if you do the package upgrade manually, and if it's automatically upgraded then you get an alert to tell you so.
You know some change has been made but not what is different and whether Sweeper rules might need to be updated as a result,
Perhaps if it listed changes made in a tunefix.log it would help for both users knowing what changes have been made and for debugging if changes don't happen as expected.

Last edited:
Back