[tunefix-update] Automated Freeview channel updates

Ahh. This caught me out. I haven't bothered to tune com 8 of late as it is relatively weak and didn't carry any channels we use. So tunefix 'deleted' BBC4HD :(
I had to tune com 8 in, re-add Four to favourites and then peek in the schedule backups in WebIf to see which series we'd lost and redo them.
I think we're good now.

So will my BBC4HD now retune itself without user intervention?

How about moving to the same position in the channel list?

(Asking for a friend. Who is a bit thick.)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
So will my BBC4HD now retune itself without user intervention?
Only if you have the relevant mux in your existing tuned set, and after a reboot.

How about moving to the same position in the channel list?
Its position in the list is governed by its LCN, so unless that changes as well...

See Glossary (click), entry LCN.

You might have tweaked the LCN via tunefix to place BBC4HD at a more convenient place for yourself, but I expect that to be maintained.

(Asking for a friend. Who is a bit thick.)
Yeah, yeah!

Only if you have the relevant mux in your existing tuned set, and after a reboot.

Its position in the list is governed by its LCN, so unless that changes as well...

See Glossary (click), entry LCN.

You might have tweaked the LCN via tunefix to place BBC4HD at a more convenient place for yourself, but I expect that to be maintained.

Yeah, yeah!

My friend says thanks very much.

:o_O:

I haven't bothered to tune com 8 of late as it is relatively weak and didn't carry any channels we use. So tunefix 'deleted' BBC4HD :(
Ah. This is an unavoidable flaw I think. OK, you'd have lost it next week if you'd done 'nothing', but you lost it a week early by doing 'something'.
Oh well, like I said somewhere, nothing is perfect with regards to this stuff, but overall it's a whole lot better with tunefix-update than without it.

Yes. What actually happened is that his existing LCN 7 got deleted, the new FOUR HD got added on 106 by tunefix-update, and then tunefix moved it back to 7 as per his rules.

The move doesn't happen until 27th Feb on the Mendip transmitter.
The BBC FOUR HD move is happening nationally from 11th to 17th January. It the multiplexes ARQ A (56 to 33) and COM7 (33 to 36) that are moving on the 27th for Mendip.

This is an unavoidable flaw I think.
I wouldn't call it a flaw. Just me being lazy and not bothering to tune an (at the time) unused mux. It's more that the automatic tuning is a bit flawed which causes many of us to use manual tuning and thus sometimes muck things up :)
it's a whole lot better with tunefix-update than without it.
Absolutely. It's how all freeview boxes should work, out of the box.

I wouldn't call it a flaw.
I would, because it left you in a worse position that it should have.
There is currently no link between the removal of the old service and the addition of the new one. I could make it so that there is a conditional link between the two, but the SQL query is complicated enough as it is and it hurts my head every time I think about it. I'll think a bit more about whether it's worth implementing.
It's more that the automatic tuning is a bit flawed which causes many of us to use manual tuning and thus sometimes muck things up
You should be able to configure tunefix to ignore all the muxes you don't want and then just let Automatic do its thing and the mess will hopefully get sorted out on the next reboot.
Beware of mux. channel moves though, which is a thought that has just struck me.

Beware of mux. channel moves though, which is a thought that has just struck me.
On the 27th February when for Mendip multiplexes ARQ A (56 to 33) and COM7 (33 to 36) move I was presuming that, and similar, would involve a normal retune.

What I consider to be an utter waste of bandwidth is CBBC HD and CBeebies HD. Are the target audience (pre-school to 12) that critical of resolution?

What I consider to be an utter waste of bandwidth is CBBC HD and CBeebies HD. Are the target audience (pre-school to 12) that critical of resolution?
Are you suggesting that the BBC should not offer parents the absolute best for their precious little darlings? You'll be in all sorts of doo-doo for that (even if you are absolutely correct). :)

Thinking about it, it's not for the kids anyway; it's for the adults who have to keep them company :eek:

Back