[tunefix-update] Automated Freeview channel updates

I think I have said this before: it would be nice if (somehow, somewhen) tunefix-update was able to force a reboot when needed. Then another reboot after it had done its job.

That's what WebIf backup and restore is for. I've never really investigated if this can be incorporated into tunefix.
Although the restore procedure handles services (channels) that have changed details while keeping the same name, it doesn't deal with something like "Channel 4+1 HD" disappearing, where one might want to substitute plain "Channel 4+1". A further step could be added to check for a channel with " HD" removed (or added, if it wasn't there), but (a) although that would be straightforward for favourites, it would be quite tricky for events (which SD show corresponds to a certain HD show?) and (b) the horse has bolted.
My auto-schedule-restore didn't work though on the box I had to retune to get the data for the update, and I expected it to. Nor does WebIf Schedule Restore seem to use Real-Time Scheduling. I kind of expected it to do that as well. Had to reboot.
It not only doesn't use RTS, it disables it, presumably because RTS could only handle the event restoration and not the favourites and favourite group names. And the same would apply to auto-schedule-restore which uses the same mechanism.

...it would be nice if (somehow, somewhen) tunefix-update was able to force a reboot when needed. Then another reboot after it had done its job.
It's not really safe to force a reboot whenever tunefix-update runs, but perhaps auto-schedule-restore could (optionally?) run tunefix-update and also reboot if that results in changes?

Something like this logic:
  • if tunefix-update is enabled, run tunefix-update
  • if changes
    • if schedule backup exists, delete schedule
    • reboot
  • if schedule is empty and schedule backup exists
    • restore auto-schedule backup
    • unless schedule is (still) empty, reboot

Currently the auto-schedule-restore script does the last block only.

Although the restore procedure handles services (channels) that have changed details while keeping the same name, it doesn't deal with something like "Channel 4+1 HD" disappearing, where one might want to substitute plain "Channel 4+1". A further step could be added to check for a channel with " HD" removed (or added, if it wasn't there), but (a) although that would be straightforward for favourites, it would be quite tricky for events (which SD show corresponds to a certain HD show?) and (b) the horse has bolted.
That is something that Schedchk might have handled, If programmes were already scheduled on Channel 4+1 HD after the cutoff it would attempt to move those episodes to alternate channels but it wouldn't attempt to move series recordings because, normally, the seires crid differs across channels

Maybe not, but it could have a setting for the user to declare when he's prepared to have the box reboot.
Such as, when auto-schedule-restore, by installing which consent has already been given implicitly, runs.

And if the box is otherwise always on, the informed user could change the configuration of tunefix-update so that anacrontab runs the modified auto-schedule-restore instead.

1.0.102:
LCN change from 58 to 97 for ITVBe+1​
LCN change from 34 to 58 for ITV3+1​
Add Merit on LCN 34 (COM4)​

I think I have said this before: it would be nice if (somehow, somewhen) tunefix-update was able to force a reboot when needed.
The next version of tunefix will do this, if necessary, overnight if not busy.
Then another reboot after it had done its job.
What's that for? It's in danger of triggering the crash-disable stuff.

1.0.104:
Mux. moves for 700 MHz clearance at:​
Winter Hill (Old PSB1, PSB2, PSB3, COM4 and COM5)​
Moel y Parc (COM4)​

(The previous problem with the upload server has now been resolved.)

Last edited:
Hi @prpr

I'm sure your instructions would have worked, had I not been so incompetent as to misname the file tunefix-update.config :dunno: ... and not realise until after I'd given up and done a manual retune, after which tunefix has resorted things impeccably. For which I truly Thank You! :thumbsup:

Anyone got a suggestion as to how to delete a superfluous /mod/boot/tunefix-update.config file ... via the webif, ideally?

Cheers, Phil

Oh, Braman!

Go to Command Line on the Diagnostics page, enter the system PIN, select the cli option and then enter the command:
rm /mod/boot/tunefix-update.config
followed by exit then x.

there's no Command Line on the Diagnostics page of my webif, version 1.4.8-8 :whistling:
Install the webshell package, reboot, then there will be.

Alternatives are to use FTP from whatever file manager you use on your PC (assuming you have betaftpd installed), the Telnet command prompt, or network file sharing such as SMB (samba package) or NFS (nfs-utils package).

The only way to do it with CF installed but nothing else is Telnet, and then you need to provide a Telnet client at the PC end... so wouldn't it just be easier to have installed the web command console (webshell) in the first place?

Install the webshell package, reboot, then there will be.
... thank you, that's got me sorted :thumbsup: :cheers:

... so wouldn't it just be easier to have installed the web command console (webshell) in the first place?
... erm, is that intended as a rhetorical question, explaining why you'd started with that advice? Or are you genuinely asking why I'd not installed it? You do appreciate that most people out here don't just have ALL packages installed, as a matter of course :o_O:

Anyways, thanks for your help ... the Winter Hill retune event is now a thing of the past for me :clap_:
Cheers, Phil

Back