TV loses channel signals....baffled or what

back to the main thread problem...
I have a single coax lead from my aerial in the loft down to the humax box. I was having lots of problems of variable signal strengths and missed recordings when the coax went to a twin wall-plate to feed the pvr and the TV. The major thing I found was that when watching a DVD, TV became unwatchable as the DVD player HDMI lead was close to the coax going to the telly (4m run) - and therefore recordings would not happen in the meantime as the interference was obviously running back down the coax.
I don't know with the T2 (only had it for a couple of weeks) whether it might still output some kind of rubbish on the HDMI on low power mode and for that to interfere with the signal to the telly on the coax? I doubt it, but it was just a thought.

Yes, I have heard that poor quality HDMI leads can radiate and swamp the incoming UHF, but I doubt that would be a problem with the Humax in standby. However, perhaps there is something else active at the time?

I did have, when I first noticed and tried to identify the problems with my old 9200T. However I only noticed anything really bad when the DVD player was on. I never played with the scart cable from the pvr. Subsequently have found issues with aerial set-up, which I sorted out when the T2 came in (direction,type, all the embarassing things that shouldn't have been wrong!) - needless to say so many changes now I would have to do more experimentation with coax and my new set-up.

I don't know your set up but I did have a TV whose inputs crossed talked very badly ie humax playing back you could see the tv underneath. I'm afraid it was a faulty tv ( now in use in the bedroom as a tv only). try isolating the hdmi inputs and the aerial inputs see if you identify a particular input. Could be a TV switching problem . Also if you can take the wall plate off and check the connections are all ok particularly the earth.

I have a single coax lead from my aerial in the loft down to the humax box. I was having lots of problems of variable signal strengths and missed recordings when the coax went to a twin wall-plate to feed the pvr and the TV. The major thing I found was that when watching a DVD, TV became unwatchable as the DVD player HDMI lead was close to the coax going to the telly (4m run)
Those nasty cheap white flyleads with moulded plugs which are typically supplied with stuff can cause all sorts of problems. You would be better off getting a properly screened one. Better still make your own using CT100 cable with metal connectors (and get a screened faceplate).
You'll have even more incentive to make sure your Rx chain is in decent order when 4G gets turned on.

Ok, ITV & C4 are now reasonably stable when the Humax is in standby (only occasional pixilation). The weather has improved over the week and may be a factor, however still struggling with C55 (Film4 and 4Music). I tried a different coax tonight, again a good quality double screened cable, but no change. After some research, I think if I perform an initial installation on my Loewe TV, then it may be possible to manually retune and access the active Antenna power setting.

Finally got to see mum today to try out some of the suggestions but so far, no luck.
I attempted a manual tune with the Humax in standby (if you recall, the main cable goes into the Humax and another cable goes from there to the TV).
As I understand it, tuning in to Winter Hill, we are looking for channels 55 58 59 61 62 & 54 (for HD which the tv isn't).
I can only get a signal for channels 57 58 61 & 62 assuming I'm doing it right.
With the Humax on, an auto tune on the TV picks up channels 55 57 58 59 61 & 62
With the Humax on, I can manual tune channels 55 58 59 61 & 62.

As I have mentioned before, the tv works fine if the Humax is on but switch it to standby and, if you are watching ITV, it freezes after about a minute. Click channel 3 on the remote again and the no service message comes up.

Plug the aerial directly in to the TV & everything is fine.

Any more suggestions gratefully received..........

Sorry failed to mention ch 57 it has a MEN news and a couple of other channels of no quality at all and Ch54 is hd only. From what I can gather it's when you're using the TV tuner is when you have the problem. Are you 100% sure the humax is not in power saving mode ie the pass through powered down

Mine seems to be working ok tonight, ITV, C4, Film4 & 4Music all without pixilation. Replaced the HDD>TV coax yesterday and hours of strategic cable routing. I performed initial installation with the Humax on standby. This was just an auto retune since still no option to manually retune or change active antenna power. I am convinced in my case the problems encountered earlier in the week were weather related (with some improvements due to cable routing), but that would not explain why Petethebarracks is seeing no improvement. What I have noticed is the integral sound bar is picking up significant interference, even when all other equipment is turned off at the mains. Not sure if this has any relevance.

Good God, those are hideous things - the last thing you need if you have Rx problems. Get a proper screened splitter. They're available cheaper than those nasty Y splitters from Maplin.

Perhaps the signals being passed on by the Humax are actually too strong? If that's the case any cheapie Y-splitter will do, or an in-line attenuator either upstream or downstream of the Humax.

What signal strengths are being reported by the Humax? Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection

that was sort of my intention, seems to be a tv issue so split the signal try to keep the humax out of the loop. Be far easier if they just kept the hummy on and used it as their main tuner. Can't understand why people don't do this , pause and rewind live tv is used all the time in our house

Cheap and nasty splitters don't keep out interference whereas screened splitters do. Signal strength is not the only factor at work here.
The latter of the links posted by brianmt is what I would recommend.
Yes, signals can be too strong. I'm running with a 20dB attenuator in circuit and wish I'd left it in on my mum's when I was last there.
Transmitter powers since DSO are mostly excessive and sensitivity of current boxes seems to be high.
Interference levels are potentially about to go through the roof though with 4G.

I double checked that the 2 power saving modes were switched off yesterday.
The signal strengths on the Humax are all 75%+.
I agree that using just the Humax makes sense. It's what we do with our freesat version.
I guess it's just the "not wanting to let it beat me" thing that is making me pursue it.

The advantage of having a split feed is that, if you wish to, you can use power saving mode.

Back