TV portal can't connect!

Hi everyone. New to the forum, but found this thread after trying to find out why I "suddenly" couldn't connect to the Portal on Friday. I say "suddenly" since I very rarely access the portal anyway, so this could have been the case for months...
This is a known fix for the HDR-FOX, not the HD-FOX which we are discussing. The Humax servers stopped working for 1.02.xx standard firmware, but continue to work with 1.03.xx standard firmware. This can be worked around by using custom firmware to access the portal apps directly using a custom portal package, but very soon the BBC are going to withdraw iPlayer support for 1.02.xx firmware anyway. There is no 1.03.xx firmware for the HD-FOX.

Last edited:
Ah, Apologies. My mistake - I came from the HDR forum and was linked here. I didn't notice the cross forum link and the absence of the "R". Sorry for any hopes dashed!

Hi NEast_Ncl - I was very interested to read your response, and it proves that the TV portal is now incompatible with earlier versions of the firmware, most particularly versions 1.02.xx. This means that Humax must have made a change to their server software. Unfortunately, I don't have a HDR, only a HD Fox, so cannot use any of the 1.03.xx versions. I converted my box into a recorder by adding an external hard drive, and this works with later versions of 1.02. It seems that Humax are employing the usual shabby commercial trick of trying to make your hardware obsolete, with the aim of making you buy new hardware.

You can run your HD-FOX for decryption and iPlayer purposes using 1.03.xx HDR-FOX firmware, via the custom firmware BootHDR Mode. It has to be rebooted back to normal HD-FOX firmware for recording etc (unfortunately). For information see the wiki or Things Every... (click) section 5 and follow links for custom firmware decryption on HD-FOX.

Perhaps Humax need reminding of their Vision/Mission. To quote their web site: "We want to give access to every content without limitation, such as time, place, and so on. This is why we exist, and we are confident that we can realize this mission with our excellent technology and innovative products." Why restrict access on TV Portal?

The loss of the portal server for 1.02.xx firmware is probably a mistake on their part, but the fact remains that iPlayer will cease support for 1.02.xx this month and that is not Humax's fault.

It certainly looks like Humax have dropped support for HD-FOX, in that no firmware updates have been issued since 1.02.29 (and an escaped 1.02.31) while there have been four firmware versions for HDR-FOX (only one of which made it to OTA). Anyone using HDR-FOX as a normal user will have been updated to 1.03.12 and not be having a portal problem at all.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I have two Fox T2 freeview boxes in the house and for the past three days they both show error when trying to connect to humaxtvportal.com and then the boxes freeze up until you go on standby and re-start. One is connected to the network by powerline adaptor and the other is wifi. I also have a Humax Foxsat box and it connects no problem but you can't get youtube of course. I've tried updating software, factory re-set and re-configuring the network connection but no luck.
I had same problem with accessing the Portal -tried everything & then, eventually, updated to Firmware 3.0 - worked straightaway!

You must be talking about an HDR-FOX - 1.03.xx firmware is only available for HDR-FOX, and this topic is in the HD-FOX section.

We are well aware that this problem relates to 1.02.xx firmware. Updating your HDR-FOX to custom firmware 3.00 will also have updated the standard firmware to 1.03.12 at the same time unless you specifically chose CF3.00/1.02.20 or CF3.00/1.02.32 . Just saying you updated to "Firmware 3.0" is too vague and leaves us having to guess exactly what you mean.

Last edited:
I also keep getting error message when trying to enter tv portal its been about a month now is it possible to contact humax and ask them whats going on? and are they going to fix this problem.I don't want to get another box unless I have to,i like the epg in particular,and only use the tv portal to access bbc iplayer, which I cant do now.

It's not worth the bother, because BBC are withdrawing their support for the old-version firmware by the end of September anyway. Even if Humax got the portal up, iPlayer still wouldn't work for firmware prior to 1.03.xx.

You do have a work-around: proceed as per decryption on HD-FOX (see item 7 HERE - click), and while booted in HDR Mode using HDR-FOX firmware 1.03.xx you will be able to access the Humax TV Portal and BBC iPlayer.

Thanks for the information BH. I didn't use iPlayer much but I did use Youtube a lot. Is there any way to do the work-around if the USB port on the HD-Fox T2 has malfunctioned? (Any ideas how to reset the USB port would be appreciated. I've tried a warm reset, cold reset and factory reset several times but no success) Or do you think Humax can be persuaded to broadcast an OTA update at some point in the future? Thanks again for all your advice BH.

More information required regarding "malfunctioned". What exactly have you expected the USB port to do that it hasn't done?

Hi BH. The port is not detecting any USB devices that are plugged in.
I was using an external hard drive that worked great for 2 years then I got the message "the USB storage is no longer detected. Recordings may be affected and damages may occur." When I unplugged the drive and then plugged it in again I got the message "USB device has malfunctioned. " Now when I plug it in, though the power is going to the external hard drive, nothing is detected by the set top box- Media button on remote brings up "USB Free storage Not available" with a white circle . I've also tried a USB flash drive that did work but not detecting that now either. I've plugged the drive into a computer running linux puppy and can see my recordings are all still there and the drive is functioning properly. Thanks again BH for any advice.

Try a few more UPDs - preferably no bigger than 8GB, fresh ones. Don't give up on it until you have. The fact a PC can access the ones you have tried is little indication.

I've got 2 UPDs, both 8gb, both did work but don't work now. Got 1Tb external samsung that I have recordings from HD-Fox T2 on. This did work but not working now too.
USB port not detecting any attached device since the "USB storage is no longer detected. Recordings may be affected and damages may occur"/ "USB device has malfunctioned" messages.

Thanks BH. I'll keep trying but I think my USB port is gone. To get back on topic to what this thread is about has anyone got an idea if or when Humax plan to get the TV portal back up and running for those with the HD-Fox T2?

Hi BH. Is this thread not about the TV portal not working on the HD-FOX?
Your post this thread number 21 "...the HD-FOX which we are discussing"
Your post this thread number 24 "You can run your HD-FOX for decryption and iPlayer purposes using 1.03.xx HDR-FOX firmware, via the custom firmware BootHDR Mode. It has to be rebooted back to normal HD-FOX firmware for recording etc (unfortunately). For information see the wiki or Things Every... (click) section 5 and follow links for custom firmware decryption on HD-FOX."
Your post this thread number 28 "...this topic is in the HD-FOX section."
Your post this thread number 30 "You do have a work-around: proceed as per decryption on HD-FOX (see item 7 HERE - click), and while booted in HDR Mode using HDR-FOX firmware 1.03.xx you will be able to access the Humax TV Portal and BBC iPlayer."
I am a bit confused that you think there has been absolutely no mention of HD-FOX.

Back