TV Portal Won't Run

Ooooooooo....... now we're getting somewhere.

I just loaded the CF, and tried to download the MSP... nothing. What do I do now? This is beyond my network knowledge.

What do I ping to test?

Further, I just tried to telnet to the HD-FOX IP address and got no connection. Does telnet work from the CF or only once the MSP is downloaded?

False alarm!

After a reset I now have Telnet access AND I have downloaded the MSP. So I guess that discounts the Internet access as an issue. Still no portal. :(

I didn't know you could ping a url, I thought it had to be an IP address.

Ping!

Ping times around 30ms.

Still no portal.

Hmm so it's deffo able to see the outside world.
I think your next step is Humax. You've done everything correctly (including stuff you shouldnt need to to verify connectivity), so there should be trouble accessing the portal.

I'm stumped.
One last thing I would try if were in your shoes would be to downgrade to a firmware before the portal was available and then upgrade it again to the latest.
That would guarantee all the portal files were wiped and reloaded.
Also re-download the flash file incase it had a minor corruption previously.

Dont know. Check the humax beta page and look at the release notes for when the portal came out and go for the one before.
Either that or just go for the earliest you can find.

If I recall, 1.02.18 was the first portal for the HD-FOX, but I agree - take the earliest available. I think a "restore factory defaults" before and after would flush everything it is possible to flush, then rebuild to 1.02.20 and see what happens. Need a damned aerial feed.

On the HDR there's an option in the hidden menu to reset cookies etc. worth a go if it's also on the HD. Otherwise I suspect you have some stats data on the HDD that needs deleting and a firmware load won't do that : (

I tried resetting cookies, no change.

Can I clear out those areas manually?

Other than that, I'm going to move the unit to where the HDR is so I have aerial feed and network, backdate its firmware, restore factory defaults, retune (no choice), download 1.02.20 again, flash to 1.02.20, restore factory defaults, retune.... and then find the portal still won't work.

Another idea. If you create the file /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/debugtv on the box, then the Humax software output will end up in /tmp/humaxtv.log and that usually includes at least some debug messages relating to the portal. Something in there might give us a clue.

Well smoke me a kipper.

I am absolutely gob-smacked and not a clue what to do next. At least I have confirmed it's (probably) not the box.

I did a full strip-down of my (admittedly temporary) Qumi-Humax install, and took the HD-FOX into the living room where I plumbed it in in place of the HDR-FOX, ready to do the multiple reflashes etc etc as mentioned above and having already downloaded 1.01.12 and re-downloaded 1.02.20, complete with aerial lead to do the rescans necessary after restore system defaults.

Turned on, and thought OK, lets just check (still on 1.02.20)... and damn me if the portal didn't start up straight away! Had to go through the T&Cs screen, so I thought OK, maybe it has to have an aerial for initial set-up to detect that it is in the UK and therefore permitted to access iPlayer. So I unplugged the aerial and sure enough, the portal continued to work.

Fine, saves a lot of bother then. I just spent half and hour re-integrating the Qumi-Humax install, more tidily and less temporary this time, got everything hooked up and the network cable plugged in... no portal!!!!!!! FFS.

Other than a lack of an aerial, I cannot fathom what the difference is. Different viewing device on the end of the HDMI? Different Ethernet wire?? I thought maybe the HDR was completely off-line rather than standby, so I tried that - nothing.

At least I know it's not the box per se. Having put everything back and tidy I am not about to pull it all out again tonight. Going to bed to watch Holy Flying Circus.

:frantic:

Another idea. If you create the file /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/debugtv on the box, then the Humax software output will end up in /tmp/humaxtv.log and that usually includes at least some debug messages relating to the portal. Something in there might give us a clue.
Saw this after I posted. Might help. Shame the official software doesn't put something more helpful on the screen.

I'll hold off telling Humax I got it wrong - see how long it takes them to respond to the email (you never know, they might know what it is).

You can rule out HDMI for starters as its the network side of things that is the issue.
I would test it the other way around now to confirm its the network. Try your HDR where you normally have your HD and see if the portal fails.
If it fails too, then I would look at swapping the ethernet cable.

I know you got it to ping sucessfully, but maybe the cable is on the way out, or the network settings are not 100% correct.

Thinking about it, could you post your network settings for the HDR from the living room, and for the HD from its location?

Which settings exactly - the ones on the two Humaxes' settings screens?

Remember I stream content from the HDR to the HD perfectly well, I was watching Town in HiDef this morning.

When I get a solid couple of hours to spare I shall return to the living room!

Back