humax# /mod/bin/busybox/busybox date
Thu Jan  1 00:09:19 GMT 1970
humax#
humax# /mod/bin/busybox/busybox date 2011.11.1-22:20
Tue Nov  1 22:20:00 GMT 2011
humax#
humax#
Still no portal though :(

Again, the need for these convoluted commands is because of FAT32 instead of Ext3

If you restart the Humax software, does the portal work now?

humax# /etc/init.d/S90settop restart

Success!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Now, here's a few interesting observations (maybe):

Run the date command and it gives the right answer (I was slightly surprised the telnet link didn't break). The screen-saver clock, which was showing the right time immediately after I got the date command to take, now shows "00:00:00". The i-plate shows "00:00 THU 01.01.1970". Run the date command again, and the screen-saver clock still shows "00:00:00", the i-plate remains the same, and the portal still works.

Nice catch : )

So, setting the date to something more current prior to the Humax software starting should be good enough... that can be achieved with a couple of custom scripts.

I'm trying to figure out how the heck I got the right time on the screen saver at one point. Why didn't ntpclient set the clock? Maybe I have to run it on the command line??

We also have to be careful that any time-setting function doesn't over-ride an EPG time set and mess up recordings. I guess an optional install for the likes of me will sort that.

I have now further established that the system clock survives a warm restart. I'll find out what happens after a cold restart tomorrow!

Update: The portal survived a brief power-down...

I have now spawned a separate topic for system clock issues HERE (click). Any non-clock portal problem queries should remain in this topic.

I can confirm that ntpclient updating the system clock from the Internet has solved my particular problem.

From the other thread:

I'm new to this but have amazingly managed to get the customised firmware and web interface up and running.

Portal was working fine, but I moved box to bedroom to connect to tv (no aerial) to watch some recorded stuff. Now on returning to living room and connecting aerial the Portal is failing to load - I sometimes get that error message, other times not, it just shows a blank screen. I have checked internet is connected ok. Telnet is working so I can still boot the HDR firmware and uncrypt files ok.

My TV is an LG internet model, so I can access iPlayer, etc via that, so I'm not too bothered about The HD-Fox T2 Portal problem - still, would be nice if I can get it fixed. I have read your other thread, does my problem sound like it might be something to do with system clock. The EPG and time on front of box are showing correctly. Thanks.

Les.
If you have an aerial connected I don't think this can be the same problem. More likely to be a network issue. As long as the screen-saver clock is showing the right time (unplug the aerial and the HD-FOX will get fed up telling you "there is no signal" in a few minutes), I have never known the TV Portal to fail because of system time.
I checked the screen saver and its showing the correct time, as is front of box. I checked that the ethernet cable is ok by plugging into tv, and trying four other router ports. Internet is confirmed in the box settings and IP address, etc is showing ok.

What happens when I try to get to the portal is a box shows 'connecting' but disappears leaving just the tv channel showing full screen.

No idea what problem is. I guess I could reinstall original firmware and then reinstall mod and web interface, but maybe that won't get portal back? Also, can't connect to web portal interface. I have Telnet connection to box and can decrypt recordings ok, so that's the main thing.
It sounds like the far end isn't responding for some reason. I'm going to redirect this to a more appropriate thread HERE (click), which I think also suggests some pings to try.

My Portal problem is as described in redirected post above (thanks for redirecting).

Latest is that, although clock was showing correct time, I reset with Telnet. This has made no difference and I still can't get Portal up and running. In settings internet is connected and all settings, IP address, etc, are ok. I pinged www.google.com with Telnet (22ms) and am able to Telnet the command to reset box with the HDR firmware ok. No access to web portal interface.

I did have the web portal running fine, and had downloaded the additional files required for booting the HDR firmware ok, and its since doing this that the Portal problem arose (relevant?). When I press Portal on remote I get a brief 'connecting' message but the screen remains showing channel full screen.

I have checked the 4 router ethernet ports, connected ok to LG Netcast, tried other ethernet cables. I can't think of anything else to try (have read through this thread and tried suggestions). If anyone can suggest anything else to try, please reply. Thanks.

*UPDATE* When the HDR firmware is running on box, I can connect to the portal, great! No access to web portal though.

Try pinging the Humax portal web site (can't tell you what the url is off-hand).

I don't know the Humax portal website url.

> You've confused me

Telnet: Boot up the HDR firmware (bootHDRmode) so I can copy/decrypt (green pie chart), then Humax portal is available and I can connect to Iplayer, etc.

So you can run iPlayer in HDR mode but not when running the native HD-FOX code? Seems an obvious to me: try restoring 1.02.20.

Obvious to me too, now. I'm gonna give it a go.

*Update: Success! Humax portal working, Telnet able to boot HDR fware, but web interface not working, even with reinstalled mod, but I'll figure that out. Thanks for help!

Important: I have foot-noted some of the posts in the topic above - new information has come to light that trying to run the MSP on an external USB stick formatted FAT32 is like opening a can of worms. The "normal" arrangement would be to use an external HDD, formatted Ext3.

One question - what on Earth are Humax doing to fix this? Any suggestions from them yet? I bought an HD-FOX-T2 purely to play back recordings from the HDR and access iPlayer, but thanks to this I can't get the system time, or use the TV Portal. So, to confirm, as a consumer, I must install ntpclient in order to use the TV Portal?

Back