TV recommendation - streams from hummy

NickZack

Hi, can anyone recommend a flat screen TV (about 32'') with DNLA that can stream programs from a Hummy over a home network?

As I understand it, DNLA compatibility varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and some have problems with stuttering etc. when streaming...

By the way, would be using homeplugs for the network.

Thanks

I second that, Humax to Humax is the best guarantee of success. You don't need a full-blown TV either, if you can get a big monitor with HDMI input (I intend to use a projector with an HD-FOX).

I've not got it set up at the moment, but from what I recall / noted down it all works fine for StDef, but FF/REW doesn't work in HiDef and skip is very slow to respond but does work.

See Black Hole's Trail Guide stage 2B.

I second that, Humax to Humax is the best guarantee of success. You don't need a full-blown TV either, if you can get a big monitor with HDMI input (I intend to use a projector with an HD-FOX).
I'd be interested to know how you get on with the Qumi if you take the plunge. BTW I heard that there might be focusing problems with it.

Well, that's the sort of thing I'm hoping to find out BEFORE I take the plunge! It ticks all the right boxes on paper, but I have no interest in spending £500 on a white elephant!

Hmm. Not looked all the way through, but I'm not terribly put off by the focus issues. I wonder if it is possible to remove the lens entirely (I would want a longer focal length on it)?

The 15-minute focus shift must be thermal expansion - again it should be possible to engineer out.

Regarding streaming to a TV, I have a Samsung LE40C750 with a wireless dongle in one usb port. It will connect to the HDR(with Humax WiFi dongle) shows content and plays SDef very well in terms of picture quality, however it will not fast forward or reverse or jump within a programme, does this work with any others? Jumping within a programme works when streaming to my android phone with Skifta. Can the HDR stream HiDef with the firmware mod?

Transport control (that's what I call FF/REW/skip etc) is variable to non-existant with the streaming solutions so far.

HiDef can be streamed unmodified to the HD-FOX T2 client, or by running auto-unprotect in the MSP it can stream without the protection mechanisms to a DLNA client, but if I recall we have yet to identify a client able to play the stream. HiDef can be downloaded across the network and played from the local file using Splash, or by mounting the Humax drive as a network file share . Some have also had success with VLC. With direct file access (instead of DLNA), transport control becomes more viable.

Transport control (that's what I call FF/REW/skip etc) is variable to non-existant with the streaming solutions so far.

HiDef can be streamed unmodified to the HD-FOX T2 client, or by running auto-unprotect in the MSP it can stream without the protection mechanisms to a DLNA client, but if I recall we have yet to identify a client able to play the stream. HiDef can be downloaded across the network and played from the local file using Splash, or by mounting the Humax drive as a network file share . Some have also had success with VLC. With direct file access (instead of DLNA), transport control becomes more viable.

Thanks for the info, I am plucking up the courage to try the mod. When I first tried streaming to the TV I then thought that would be great to use around the house to save cables, but the lack of transport control (thanks for the term!) really spoils that. It does work well on the phone. I will consider a FOX HD.

Don't worry - I'll let everyone know when I've got one!!

Would you believe (over on AVForums) somebody reckons I should buy a cheap second-hand bulb projector? Like I want a great big shock-sensitive brick with an unknown number of hours on the lamp! Maybe somebody's got one to sell!

It's arrived!!!

Gotta hand it to Misco: they were the only people I could find offering the Qumi for RRP (£499) instead of closer to £600, and sourced from the UK (following the trail of a £409 offer led me to Hong Kong) who I had actually heard of and thought I could trust with my credit card.

Delivery (3-day) only a fiver too, but the web site said "nil stock, order on demand". When I enquired, they said 7-10 days. I placed the order Tuesday morning, they rang me up (left a message) to confirm identity (I had specified a different delivery address) to which I responded yesterday (Wednesday), and FedEx turned up 9am today!!!

I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight. First impressions though: you wouldn't believe how small it is in the flesh.

Last edited:
Any first impressions. How loud is the eco setting noise and is the picture dim in dark/ fairly dark conditions, north facing windows?

Back