TV signal issue with Freeview PVR

Denwyn

This is a bit of a puzzle. All the Freeview channels work fine on the Humax box, but when we are using the TV some of the channels break up. If we turn the Humax off all seems ok. The Ariel is fine, it has a amplifier connected which feeds one more tv. The amp is in the loft and power is fed from a box plugged in to the mains socket behind the TV, power goes through the the coax to the loft. It was fitted by Ariel rigger about 3 years back. I have checked all the settings on the Humax and the power feed to Ariel in settings is off as it states it must be off if another power supply is on. If I disconnect the Freeview box and connect Ariel direct to TV everything works fine. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

All the Freeview channels work fine on the Humax box, but when we are using the TV some of the channels break up. If we turn the Humax off all seems ok.
Odds on favourite: interference from the HDMI. See what happens if you have the TV and HDR both on, with the TV on its internal tuner, and disconnect the HDMI lead from the HDR end.

If that solves the problem you need a better quality aerial pass-through from the HDR to the TV, a better quality HDMI lead, and to separate them as far as possible. A work-around is to set the VFORMAT to 1080i instead of 1080p.

Tee hee. I had no idea we were discussing Disney movies.

PS: this is not a custom firmware issue, therefore has been posted in the wrong section of the forum. I note there is also a very similar post under a different title, which will be removed.

Odds on favourite: interference from the HDMI. See what happens if you have the TV and HDR both on, with the TV on its internal tuner, and disconnect the HDMI lead from the HDR end.
I think that is a good shout.
If that solves the problem you need a better quality aerial pass-through from the HDR to the TV, a better quality HDMI lead, and to separate them as far as possible. A work-around is to set the VFORMAT to 1080i instead of 1080p.
I would try just making sure the aerial leads and the HDMI cable are as far apart as possible before purchasing new cables.

HDMI leads are ones that came Humax, and the Ariel pass through lead, all the cables, power, hdmi from pvr & DVD player, network & digital sound are grouped together on one side of the TV. I’ll try and route the HDMI to the other side, prob need to get a longer HDMI lead, I take it it’s just the Humax hdmi lead I need to re route. This never happened with our old Panasonic TV. Bought a Samsung 46” Oled one, big mistake it’s so fussy to set up, to many settings and gizmos. Simple is always better.

Tee hee. I had no idea we were discussing Disney movies.
Just tried that but made no difference.

Got the handbook out, changed the VFORMAT from 1080p to 1080i, no idea why but the issue seems to have stopped. Never really got into any of the settings on this, bought the box many years back, more than had our moneys money’s worth out of it. Apart from switch it on to record and playback we have never really touched it, it’s been so reliable. Hopefully it’s sorted now, although I may get a better Ariel lead and HDMI cable from Amazon.

How do I set the Vformat then
Derr, try the VFORMAT button.

no idea why but the issue seems to have stopped.
That's why I suggested it, and it proves the issue is HDMI related.

Some people here will argue with me, but (as output by the HDR-FOX) "1080i" is less demanding of HDMI bandwidth than "1080p", while being practically indistinguishable once presented on the TV screen. Hence 1080i generates less UHF interference to blot out the TV signal.

although I may get a better Ariel lead... from Amazon.
How will you know whether it's better? The best thing is to make up your own from metal (not plastic) connectors and satellite coax. Some people use F-type connectors (which screw directly onto the coax cable) with adapters for the UHF connectors.

What is it with you and mermaids? Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. The word you are looking for is "aerial".

Last edited:
Ok Aerial. :thumbsup: Ive got some F connectors and satellite cable, ordered some adapters and new HDMI leads from Amazon, hopefully it’s sorted now. Thanks for all the help and advice, only ones disappointed are her indoors and the grandkids, they’ve been hoping it was buggered and I’d get SKY...

Tell them that you would have had exactly the same problem. (and likely you would have)

Unfortunately it's back again this morning, i've managed to find a someone to make me up a couple of Aerial leads today. Just s though if I bought a splitter to send separate connections to Humax and TV.

I tried a labgear splitter, with signal in and separate out leads to tv and Humax, doesn’t work.tried the new leads I had made and better HDMI lead. Unfortunately the issue is still there, it’s puzzling as sometimes it’s ok. I’ve given up now. removed the tv channels that have the issue, so the only way to watch them is on the Humax, I did suggest we used the Humax instead of the tv, but that went down like a lead balloon. I sort of agree in a way as the EPG is just so clumsy and slow, then again its got to be about 9 to 10 years old now. I’m being harassed to get Sky, it’s not a route I want to take. I’m may try a new PVR, John Lewis sell Humax and Panasonic, so may try one, returns are easy with them if it isn’t ok. TV is fairly new, I don’t see it being a tv fault, but I will be in touch with Richersounds who I bought it from, I admit the Samsung TV was a mistake, far to much junk on it, Apps etc.
So thanks for all the help and advice, much appreciated

I sort of agree in a way as the EPG is just so clumsy and slow, then again its got to be about 9 to 10 years old now.

Ours is 10 years old next month and the EPG is just as slick as when first purchased, far better than the guide on our Panasonic TV, which is slow and clunky.
Why Sky? It only means you can have hundreds of channels of junk instead of the 108 (our region) on Freeview. ( Own opinion of course!) :rolleyes:

Sounds like it could do with a general tune-up (use of custom firmware to non-destructively fix file system errors, etc).

Ours is 10 years old next month and the EPG is just as slick as when first purchased, far better than the guide on our Panasonic TV, which is slow and clunky.
Why Sky? It only means you can have hundreds of channels of junk instead of the 108 (our region) on Freeview. ( Own opinion of course!) :rolleyes:
I don't want sky, it's the family who eant it, we wont be having it,paying a TV licence is enough for me, only pay app we have is Amazon prime, that's only because we use Amazon a lot.

Back