TV signal issue with Freeview PVR

Sounds like it could do with a general tune-up (use of custom firmware to non-destructively fix file system errors, etc).
You have lost me with this, I have done resets, retuned all channels, there is no problem with the way it works, it plays and records fine, Software is up to date. All worked fine till we bought new Samsung Qled TV. Spoke with shop we today where we bought TV from, they say it's the Humax box, as TV works perfectly fine with it disconnected. I've given up on it now and removed the channels which have the issue, tried all the solutions offered. I really don't want to start messing about with custom firmware, that's way out of my comfort zone.

I thought similar re CF for a while, but after installing it (simple) and using only the packages useful to me, particularly detectads, it's been a boon and no bother. You don't have to delve too far into it if you don't wish.

there is no problem with the way it works, it plays and records fine
I thought you said it had got slow? That's not "no problem". Still, you don't want to be led, so what do I care.

Edit: corrected the past participle of the verb "to lead", which iOS insist is "lead".

Last edited:
I thought you said it had got slow? That's not "no problem". Still, you don't want to be lead, so what do I care.
Never mentioned it got slow, the issue was picture break up when connected to my tv, reception and picture quality all ok using the Humax, but not when using tv tuner, some channels break up, i have bough a better HDMI lead, better loop through lead and cable from aerial wall socket to Humax, separated the HDMI lead away from loop through lead as advised on here. The issue is still there, Connecting the TV aerial direct to the TV works fine. so not a TV problem. I contacted the dealer as the TV is only 4 months old, but as the problem is only when the Humax is connected they are not interested. The Humax is around 9 to 10 years old now has always been reliable, so i am considering maybe getting an updated PVR. Software on Humax is up to date, but i think they stopped updating it years ago. Shame to see it go but its no use as it is

Thanks for all the advice, I’ve tried everything recommended ,bought new HDMI lead and had TV aerial lead and connection lead from Humax to TV made up., that was £28.Re routed HDMI away from aerial leads, Hasn’t worked, removed the channels giving trouble from TV.
Removed Channels
Sony Movies
ITV 3+1
Channel 5+1
Sony Movies Action
Film4+1
ITV 4 +1
Horror Channel
There are others all around the higher number channels before HD starts

I have given up now. I won’t miss most of these channels, but the earache from her indoors and family has made my decesion to ditch the Humax and try something else.

I’ll wait first till I get something else before I decide what to do with it, there is a lot of stuff on it I want to see if I can transfer to the computer, I know the HD stuff won’t play, but I don’t think we really recorded much in HD, standard was good enough. The Samsung TV is going as well, getting a good price for that, picture is excellent but it’s far to fussy and to many options on set up. Think I’ll go back to all Panasonic for TV and PVR. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND ADVICE ON HERE.

I did suggest we used the Humax instead of the tv, but that went down like a lead balloon. I sort of agree in a way as the EPG is just so clumsy and slow, then again its got to be about 9 to 10 years old now.
Some, but not all, of the buttons to navigate the epg are slower on the more 'recent' software. You could try going back to 1.02.32 .
For the advantages and disadvantage see the details at the top of https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Which_Version

Thanks for all the advice, I’ve tried everything recommended ,bought new HDMI lead and had TV aerial lead and connection lead from Humax to TV made up., that was £28.Re routed HDMI away from aerial leads, Hasn’t worked, removed the channels giving trouble from TV.
Removed Channels
Sony Movies
ITV 3+1
Channel 5+1
Sony Movies Action
Film4+1
ITV 4 +1
Horror Channel
There are others all around the higher number channels before HD starts

I have given up now. I won’t miss most of these channels, but the earache from her indoors and family has made my decesion to ditch the Humax and try something else.
:sigh:

I appreciate the problem of being under pressure from those higher up the pecking order, and I don't have that problem (now), but honestly you have the best PVR out there. There are plenty who will happily take it off your hands, even for money.

Spending all that money on cables, when you have no real idea what their quality is until they arrive is just throwing money at potential scammers. Switching VFORMAT to 1080i demonstrated the cause, and you could just stick with that if it works (you said it does). Fundamentally the problem is your aerial reception and distribution - anything other than addressing that is sticking plaster.

the EPG is just so clumsy and slow
Sounds like it could do with a general tune-up (use of custom firmware to non-destructively fix file system errors, etc).
Custom firmware is something I know absolutely nothing about at all.
We have custom firmware that can be installed, which adds (not replaces) functionality to the HDR-FOX - including a hard drive tune-up. File system errors can accumulate, and they don't "break" the functionality but they can slow it down. As standard, Humax's only solution is to reformat - which loses all your recordings.

CF (custom firmware) adds goodies which no other PVR can offer: eg automatic detection of advert breaks in recordings. The list is extensive, read the existing sources (which you could have found for yourself, either from the pinned "welcome" posts or the links in my signature panel):

Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

Last edited:
PS:

I have noticed my TV signal degrading, which is a general thing but might not be so obvious in good signal areas. There are several possible reasons for this, including reception conditions (weather), trees growing in line of sight to transmitter, economies at the transmitter, increased environmental RF interference (including mobile phone masts), and lack of maintenance at my end.

If something has changed, look for something environmental that has changed at the same time as the noticed change. The equipment is the last place to look (unless you fiddled with it). Rearranging things so that it works again is not the answer - that is just evidence that some configurations are more sensitive to the change than others.

Some, but not all, of the buttons to navigate the epg are slower on the more 'recent' software. You could try going back to 1.02.32 .
For the advantages and disadvantage see the details at the top of https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Which_Version
Is that still valid? I thought it had been determined that slow navigation was caused by (any or all of): excess ancient EPG data, excess dead schedule entries, (possibly) bad disk sector in EPG file.

Personally I've never had a problem (1.03.12), but then I use the navigation keys and not just the arrows.

Is that still valid? I thought it had been determined that slow navigation was caused by (any or all of): excess ancient EPG data, excess dead schedule entries, (possibly) bad disk sector in EPG file.
Yes, it is still valid. Although how big an issue it is will vary on which navigation keys are favoured. Which is why some did not notice even after they had read others posts about the difference after installing 1.03.
From my perspective I was able to check because I had a spare HDR-FOX T2 which I was able to change the software between pre 1.03 and a 1.03.
I was able to then compare using the same unit, using the same epg data, between how far it was possible to navigate 'right' (and to a lesser impact extent 'down') in the epg in 30 seconds.

Yes there are other reasons that can cause slow responses and also some tweaks that can make some slight improvements, but that doesn't mean that the introduction of 1.03 didn't have any change to EPG navigation response. It was also fairly obvious that the versio of software also could impact the speed of navigation because of the number of people who reported that they noticed something was amiss and that it started to occur when the software was updated to a 1.03 version.

Last edited:
All sorted now. Ariel rigger looked at the whole installation, removed the amplifier in loft, which he reckoned wasn't helping the problem,fitted a new wide band aerial in the loft, ran new coax from splitter in loft to downstairs TV, didn't advise using the TV ariel lead which was installed when the house was built 28 years back. Re connected the aerial lead to the splitter for kitchen TV, that cable was fine. Made up new leads downstairs to Humax and from Humax to TV. Since then its been far better, no issues up to now.. £230 well spent i hope. The Humax has a short reprieve for now, i still fancy the all in one pvr /dvd from Panasonic, at least Sky idea from her and the children is well and truly sunk . Thanks for the help and advice from everyone

Back