Unable to login to WEBIF

Dr Bones

I wonder if you guys can help:
Today, my T2 said "format hard drive" (surprisingly).
I didn't want to format the drive (and lose my recordings), so I turned it off (mains) and then back on. It seems to work okay. However, I ran the drive check (from the machine) and it stopped about 4/5 of the way and refused to do anything for over an hour.
So I switched it off again.
It seems okay when I switch it back on.
I decided to try to access it via the browser my computer and see if WEBIF has a disc repair app.
However, I can't login to it via my computer. All I get is a grey box saying authentication required. I type in what I think (I'm pretty sure) are my username and password and the box just comes back up. I haven't logged into the T2 via my computer for a long time (over a year), so it is possible I've made a mistake with the username/password (but I think it's unlikely). So:
1) Is there a way to find my username and password for WEBIF from the machine?
2) Is it possible that the fault on the hard drive is the reason I can't login. If not, then what can I do to rectify the problem with logging in?
3) Assuming I format the drive; how will I then know if the drive is about to die?
4) Assuming the drive does need replacing, is there any point in putting an SSD in the machine?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give - I don't know how I'll cope if my T2 dies...

Can't help much, but WRT:
Q2. If you have forgotten your password, that will do the trick.
Q3. You won't without the Web IF. Don't do it. Get the Web IF working
Q4. No. There is no point, other than to perhaps save energy, but it would take a long time to realise a ROC. £/Mb is still very high and a standard hard drive is fast enough to record and playback several channels simultaneously. There are a couple of threads here on the subject, and the wisdom is, don't waste your money.
I'll let experts answer the rest.
Believe it or not, I think there is life after T2, but it's not so fulfilling.

3) Assuming I format the drive; how will I then know if the drive is about to die?
What I would suggest rather than formatting the drive is that you install the latest version of the custom firmware, connect via telnet and run the fix-disk utility; all this is described in the Wiki. That with luck will restore enough functionality so that you can look at the hard drive SMART data via the webif; if you post the data here somebody can tell you whether the drive needs replacing or was just experiencing a glitch.
4) Assuming the drive does need replacing, is there any point in putting an SSD in the machine?
Probably not; the main advantage of an SSD is speed but a conventional hard drive is fast enough for the Humax requirements. The only possible advantage I can see is if you are particularly sensitive to the noise of a conventional hard drive then the SSD will of course be silent leaving the fan as the only rotating component.

Back