Unable to Re-install webif.

4ndy

When I went to one of my boxes via webif today, I got the " Custom Firmware Successfully Installed" screen with the option to "Download and Install Full Web Interface". Had this in the past, but this time can't get out of the loop.

The install option gives the error in the screenshot. Installing webif via the telnet option gives the same errors. I have tried several reboots and re-installed the CF from USB. Also tried opkg-update as suggested in the Telnet error message.

What should I try next? Ideas please.

screenshot-2020-09-13-195503-png.4907

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-13 195503.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-13 195503.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 131
you previously had the beta webif installed but the new install doesn't know about the beta package catalogue.

Can you telnet into the machine?

Try opkg install opkg-beta and then opkg install webif

If that doesn't work you may need to down load webif and ir from the catalogue https://hpkg.tv/packages.html (wgets below)
and then
Code:
cd /mod/tmp
wget -U '' http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.4.8-8_mipsel.opk
opkg --force-downgrade --force-depends install webif_1.4.8-8_mipsel.opk
wget -U '' http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/ir_1.17_mipsel.opk
opkg --force-downgrade --force-depends install ir_1.17_mipsel.opk

Last edited:
(edit: post in preparation before the above)

I guess you were using the beta WebIF, and maybe removed opkg-beta in an attempt to overcome the problem with fix-flash-packages wiping out the beta ir package? Been there, done that.

The problem with ir is that the most recent beta version has been deleted, so (assuming you are using the beta version) fix-flash-packages can't find the version it needs to reinstall having removed it. Maybe it should check before removing!

However, if you remove yourself from the beta programme (by uninstalling opkg-beta), and had the beta WebIF, fix-flash-packages definitely can't find the right version to install (because it can't see it without opkg-beta).

I don't know if there is a less destructive solution (apparently there is - see above), but I ended up setting RMA in the Telnet menu (reboot), then unsettling RMA (reboot), and reinstalling everything from scratch (except you don't need to reflash).

My instructions are theoretical and havem't been tested in anger but should allow you to downgrade to the non-beta versions

Thanks Mymsman and blackhole

Yes, I did uninstall beta-opkg because of the previous issue with ir (well deduced). I have given up on ir because of the ongoing problems.

I will try a manual install of webif when fixdisk has completed ( in case drive gone read only).

Is af123 the only person with access to the repository? Perhaps a copy of the last non-beta version of ir could be saved as v1.20 in the beta repository?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is af123 the only person with access to the repository?
AFAIK yes.

I believe we have a couple of forum administrators but #af123 seems to be the sole controller of the repository, GIT library and Remote Scheduling server
We really do need some backup capability since he hasn't been active for a couple of months now.

you previously had the beta webif installed but the new install doesn't know about the beta package catalogue.

Can you telnet into the machine?

Try opkg install opkg-beta and then opkg install webif

If that doesn't work you may need to down load webif and ir from the catalogue https://hpkg.tv/packages.html
and then
Code:
wget -U '' http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.4.8-8_mipsel.opk
opkg --force-downgrade --force-depends install webif_1.4.8-8_mipsel.opk
wget -U '' http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/ir_1.17_mipsel.opk
opkg --force-downgrade --force-depends install ir_1.17_mipsel.opk

The fixdisk finished with no errors flagged up, but read-only is mentioned below.

I then downloaded webif from catalogue and then tried to copy to the Humax (as I did with my previous issue with ir), but I am not able to get Filezilla to connect. I have tried turning on the native FTP server, but that makes no difference. I can change one digit in the IP address and connect to the correct place on another box, so have ruled out human error.

I then tried the first of the commands you suggested, as it appeared to pull the packages from the repository, and get this error:

Code:
Humax HDR-Fox T2 (HDR2) 1.03.12/3.13                                                                                                                                 

To return to the menu, type: exit                                                                                                                                     

HDR2# wget -U '' http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.4.8-8_mipsel.opk                                                                                               
--2020-09-13 22:17:02--  http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.4.8-8_mipsel.opk                                                                                       
Resolving hpkg.tv... 2a00:5600:1600::50, 89.248.55.75                                                                                                                 
Connecting to hpkg.tv|2a00:5600:1600::50|:80... failed: Address family not supported by protocol.                                                                     
Connecting to hpkg.tv|89.248.55.75|:80... connected.                                                                                                                 
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK                                                                                                                       
Length: 2921742 (2.8M) [application/octet-stream]                                                                                                                     
webif_1.4.8-8_mipsel.opk: Read-only file system                                                                                                                       

Cannot write to 'webif_1.4.8-8_mipsel.opk' (Read-only file system).                                                                                                   
HDR2#

I will hold off on the RMA option until I am certain the disk is not read-only, or in case further advice is forthcoming.

If you are in the root directory that will be read only

you would need to switch to a directory that is on the hard disk, /mod is where most of the CF lives
Code:
cd /mod/tmp
I have a default directory set up in my profile so forget it is isn't standard

I added the wget's to do the downloads directly to the humax in a later edit (I needed to look it up) but didn't change the words to clarify that

I will hold off on the RMA option until I am certain the disk is not read-only
I'm not sure why you are worried about the disk being read-only. If you can still do normal Humax stuff (record, timeshift etc) it isn't read only.

I am not able to get Filezilla to connect. I have tried turning on the native FTP server, but that makes no difference.
That's some other problem. As long as you can get to the Telnet prompt, that's what you need.

I seem to be stuck at the same option as my OP, though I think the reason is different this time.

So far I have tried both options as well as the fixweb and webif options on the telnet menu, but these throw up errors. I have also tried the opkg update option, which seems to work ok.

I have tried the first two lines of code suggested by MymsMan at post 2 (adapting it for the webif version installed on my other boxes), but get the following return:

Code:
HDR4# cd /mod/tmp
HDR4# wget -U '' http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.4.9-6_mipsel.opk                                                                                                 
--2021-05-03 01:01:46--  http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.4.9-6_mipsel.opk                                                                                         
Connecting to hpkg.tv|2a00:5600:1600::50|:80... failed: Address family not supported by protocol.                                                                       
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found                                                                                                                   
2021-05-03 01:01:46 ERROR 404: Not Found.                                                                                                                               

HDR4#

To my untrained eye it looks like the repository may have an issue (404), though I seem to be able to reinstall webif on one of my other boxes using the diagnostics page.

Any help appreciated.

Code:
HDR4# cd /mod/tmp
HDR4# wget -U '' http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.4.9-6_mipsel.opk                                                                                                
--2021-05-03 01:01:46--  http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.4.9-6_mipsel.opk                                                                                        
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found                                                                                                                  
2021-05-03 01:01:46 ERROR 404: Not Found.

To my untrained eye it looks like the repository may have an issue (404), though I seem to be able to reinstall webif on one of my other boxes using the diagnostics page.

Any help appreciated.
The current version of WebIF is 1.4.9
So you should adapt your commands to reflect this.
Code:
cd /mod/tmp
wget -U '' http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.4.9_mipsel.opk

I seem to be stuck at the same option as my OP, though I think the reason is different this time.
We need to figure out why that would be, because last time there was a known problem with the beta ir package versioning, which then corrupted fix-flash-packages, which then... and I'm not aware of any such issue this time.

What lead up to the event this time? Are you sure your disk is OK?

I knew it should have been recording, the ring light was still blue. This usually indicates a crash previously, so logged on to check if it was recording, and ran fix-flash-packages. This reported errors so I power cycled. The problem started then.
We need to figure out why that would be, because last time there was a known problem with the beta ir package versioning, which then corrupted fix-flash-packages, which then... and I'm not aware of any such issue this time.

What lead up to the event this time? Are you sure your disk is OK?
I knew it should have been recording, the ring light was still blue. This usually indicates a crash previously, so logged on to check if it was recording, and ran fix-flash-packages. This reported errors so I power cycled. The problem started then.

I have fixdisk running now.

The adapted code installed webif successfully when pointed at the beta repository, but it came back with a number of seemingly missing packages. The included webshell and fixdix, which I was using seconds before.

Not sure why the "download web interface" on the installation page did not work, or indeed the telnet options "fixweb" or "webif" did not work.

opkg-beta was one of the packages i had to re-install, so I wonder if it is confused over the beta status at the point of running these?

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Not sure why the "download web interface" on the installation page did not work, or indeed the telnet options "fixweb" or "webif" did not work.
I wonder whether there's an issue re running fixweb when the WebIF concerned is beta. I suspect fixweb knows nothing about the beta repository.

included webshell and fixdix, which I was using seconds before.
I'm not sure about webshell, but you shouldn't need the fixdisk package - the utilities are built into the CF, and the package provides access to updated tools (if the CF is out of date).

opkg-beta was one of the packages i had to re-install, so I wonder if it is confused over the beta status at the point of running these?
Probably. Without opkg-beta, the package manager has no idea to be careful about beta packages.

I suggest you be concerned about the cause of this mess - ie the health of your disk.

I am not sure that this is not just some random event, like the factory reset, though in the past I recall that selection the download webif option resolved it.

My SMART data is here for those who understand it.

Code:
Disk Information
SMART Status    PASSED   
Model Family    Seagate Video 3.5 HDD
Device Model    ST2000VM003-1ET164
Serial Number    W5254K1J
LU WWN Device Id    5 000c50 0aa05a95d
Firmware Version    SC11
User Capacity    2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
Sector Sizes    512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate    5900 rpm
Form Factor    3.5 inches
Device is    In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is    ACS-2, ACS-3 T13/2161-D revision 3b
SATA Version is    SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is    Mon May 3 16:24:32 2021 BST
SMART support is    Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is    Enabled
Attributes
ID    Name    Flags    Raw Value    Value    Worst    Threshold    Life Left    Notes
1    Raw_Read_Error_Rate    POSR--    155775096    117    099    006        -
3    Spin_Up_Time    PO----    0    096    095    000        -
4    Start_Stop_Count    -O--CK    756    100    100    020    100%    -
5    Reallocated_Sector_Ct    PO--CK    0    100    100    010    100%    -
7    Seek_Error_Rate    POSR--    342639424    085    060    030        -
9    Power_On_Hours    -O--CK    12215    087    087    000    87%    -
10    Spin_Retry_Count    PO--C-    0    100    100    097    100%    -
12    Power_Cycle_Count    -O--CK    756    100    100    020    100%    -
184    End-to-End_Error    -O--CK    0    100    100    099        -
187    Reported_Uncorrect    -O--CK    0    100    100    000        -
188    Command_Timeout    -O--CK    0    100    100    000        -
189    High_Fly_Writes    -O-RCK    209    001    001    000        -
190    Airflow_Temperature_Cel    -O---K    53    047 (53°C)    038 (62°C)    045 (55°C)        In_the_past
191    G-Sense_Error_Rate    -O--CK    0    100    100    000        -
192    Power-Off_Retract_Count    -O--CK    755    100    100    000    100%    -
193    Load_Cycle_Count    -O--CK    756    100    100    000    100%    -
194    Temperature_Celsius    -O---K    53    053    062    000        -
197    Current_Pending_Sector    -O--C-    0    100    100    000        -
198    Offline_Uncorrectable    ----C-    0    100    100    000        -
199    UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    -OSRCK    0    200    200    000        -
Self-test logs
No.    Description    Status    Remaining    When    First Error LBA
# 1    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    12208    -
# 2    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    12200    -
# 3    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    9321    -
# 4    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    9011    -
# 5    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    8639    -
# 6    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    8337    -
# 7    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    8334    -
# 8    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    5027    -
# 9    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    1257    -
#10    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    1248    -
#11    Short offline    Completed without error    00%    1243    -
Rendered in: 0.891 seconds

I wonder if a future version needs some sort of flag for beta before calling the download.

Back