Unable to reach Humax TV Portal

AlanB

When I press on the TV portal button I get the error message "Unable to connect to https://www.humaxtvportal.com/".

I found that the password in my internet settings had been wiped, so I reset it and got a message that the wi-fi link was now active. However, I still got the same error message when I tried to connect to the portal. I've tried rebooting the Humax and my modem, including a power cycle of both (power-cycling the Humax has restarted previous problems with the internet connection), but to no avail. I can successfully connect to remote scheduling from my PC, and it has up-to-date records of the timers, rebooting history, etc, so there seems to be some internet connection working, but still not the portal. I tried running the diagnostics, but nothing showed up as problematic. My only clue is that the DLNA server showed up as disabled/not running and when I tried to reset it I was told the DLNA database did not exist. Is that significant?

I'm at a loss to know what to try next. Any suggestions?

Yes. Try a search of the forums for 'Humax Portal'. There's shedloads of stuff. Mainly HERE about the FV receiver

Presumably you are not on the latest firmware (1.03.12). If you update you should get the portal back. The latest version does have an issue with slower scrolling in the EPG, which some people can't abide, but the upgrade is the only way of getting portal access. Even if the portal got fixed for 1.02.xx software versions, BBC iPlayer would no longer work as the version available with that software is no longer supported by the BBC.

Presumably you are not on the latest firmware (1.03.12). If you update you should get the portal back. The latest version does have an issue with slower scrolling in the EPG, which some people can't abide, but the upgrade is the only way of getting portal access. Even if the portal got fixed for 1.02.xx software versions, BBC iPlayer would no longer work as the version available with that software is no longer supported by the BBC.

I run the customised firmware, rather than the vanilla. Is there version of that which will restore the portal? If not, then I'll live without it.

Also, I understood from the discussion that 1.03.12 was not available for the HDR-Fox T2. Did I misunderstand?

Thanks for the pointer. It seems the problem is down to Humax and there's nothing I can currently do to fix it.
This is a summary of the situation, mainly relevant to HD-FOX but including HDR-FOX:
I'll say it all over again (can't be bothered to track down the relevant posts):

The Humax TV Portal server has malfunctioned for HD-FOX and HDR-FOX running standard firmware 1.02.xx (whether you also have custom firmware or not). This can be side-stepped by using the portal-xtra1 custom firmware package, which provides direct access to the portal apps without going through the Humax server (portal-xtra1 will not work with firmware 1.03.xx, users using 1.03.xx have to use new-portal).

The BBC are dropping iPlayer support for firmware 1.02.xx (specifically the web browser service contained within it) imminently. HDR-FOX users wishing to access iPlayer once support ends will have no choice but to update to 1.03.xx firmware (with slow EPG). There is no 1.03.xx firmware for HD-FOX, so the only work-around will be to use custom firmware facilities to boot the HD-FOX into "HDR Mode" running HDR-FOX 1.03.xx firmware, for iPlayer and decryption purposes only.

The guide to HDR Mode is HERE (click), item 7.

Link to firmware downloads here. I recommend installing '1.03.12/ CFW 3.00'. This will give you the latest official and custom firmware in one go. All your CFW packages and settings will be retained.

As I understand it, the portal-xtra1 package (with pre-1.03 firmware) no longer provides a solution for iPlayer. It's a shame, because my HDR-FOX T2 crashes when attempting to run 1.03.12

Last edited:
As I understand it, the portal-xtra1 package (with pre-1.03 firmware) no longer provides a solution. It's a shame, because my HDR-FOX T2 crashes when attempting to run 1.03.12
That is odd, does it crash even if you do a factory reset before installing the 1.03.12 firmware?

As I understand it, the portal-xtra1 package (with pre-1.03 firmware) no longer provides a solution.
Solution to what? It will bypass the Humax server and provide direct access to iPlayer, YouTube etc, but iPlayer has or will be ceasing support for the pre-1.03.xx browser.

Solution to what? It will bypass the Humax server and provide direct access to iPlayer, YouTube etc, but iPlayer has or will be ceasing support for the pre-1.03.xx browser.

Sorry, I meant a solution to accessing iPlayer. I believe support for the Bigscreen iPlayer has ended already.

MontysEvilTwin: what do you mean by a factory reset ? I've removed the custom firmware, downgraded to 1.02.32, and reloaded 1.03.12 - and it just crashes continuously every minute or so. It's never crashed on pre-1.03 firmware, so I doubt it's a hardware fault.

Edit: just found this from a Black Hole previous post:

* Factory reset: Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default (do not accept the option to format disk)

I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
I believe support for the Bigscreen iPlayer has ended already.
You are correct, it has.

General information: BBC iPlayer has now ceased support for pre-1.03.xx firmware.

Photo%2018-09-2014%2009%2022%2021.jpg

Last edited:
That is odd, does it crash even if you do a factory reset before installing the 1.03.12 firmware?

Thanks for the suggestion. I've done a factory reset (Menu >> Settings >> Installation etc.) and installed the 1.03.12 firmware from ftp.humaxdigital.com
(link in the discussion http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/latest-ota-update-10312-problem). And it looks promising now, it has been running for longer than 62 seconds - which seemed to be the time it would run before crashing when I tried 1.03.12 before.

I'll leave it a few days before trying the CFW. Thanks again for the help.

This is a summary of the situation, mainly relevant to HD-FOX but including HDR-FOX:

The Humax TV Portal server has malfunctioned for HD-FOX and HDR-FOX running standard firmware 1.02.xx (whether you also have custom firmware or not). This can be side-stepped by using the portal-xtra1 custom firmware package, which provides direct access to the portal apps without going through the Humax server (portal-xtra1 will not work with firmware 1.03.xx, users using 1.03.xx have to use new-portal).

The BBC are dropping iPlayer support for firmware 1.02.xx (specifically the web browser service contained within it) imminently. HDR-FOX users wishing to access iPlayer once support ends will have no choice but to update to 1.03.xx firmware (with slow EPG). There is no 1.03.xx firmware for HD-FOX, so the only work-around will be to use custom firmware facilities to boot the HD-FOX into "HDR Mode" running HDR-FOX 1.03.xx firmware, for iPlayer and decryption purposes only.

What is the situation with the HDR-2000T? I just bought one as I needed a 2nd PVR to my existing HDR-Fox T2, and I've got exactly the same error message when I try to connect to the TV Portal. The firmware is 1.00.07. I thought it might be out-of-date, but automatic search for an updated firmware produced nothing. Is there a firmware I can download and install that solves this problem? Thanks

There has not been a firmware update for the HDR-2000T since it came onto the market. I admit to being a little surprised that the first issue firmware is not based on 1.03 HDR-FOX firmware (ie with the new browser), but I can't remember the chronology.

I assume you mean the new browser arrived on the HDR 1.03.12 today, which it did. However when my box crashed it refused to work with an error message that I never wrote down, but something like try another menu option each time I loaded it up. Circa 11am. The only fix was a cold boot so I suspect a lot of people will find the new iPlayer hangs after the box crashes out for whatever reason and you need a cold boot.

Shame about the radio... Lack of management of iPlayer staff rather than anything else.

Does the HDR-FOX now have iPlayer V4 (the one without the radio?). I know they have done this on the HDR-2000T but I was hoping they would need to issue a software update for the HDR-FOX to make this work, so you would get the choice of keeping the radio: at least while V3 was still supported by the BBC, of course.

No it happened today, iPlayer V4 in all it's glory on the HDR less the radio part. Options along the top rather than the bottom.

The categories shows what seems to be popular programmes rather than all, for that you select the bottom lower left corner. Partner informed me that it is an improvement since it gives greater programme information. You don't need to play the programme to get the programme information.

If af123 knows where the old one is hidden on the Humax site and could link into it via the custom software portal giving an option of whether you use 3 or 4 that would be great but I suspect they have removed it. Reduced functionality not having the radio.

Back