Undelete / dustbin...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've asked this somewhere else before - what's so hard about deleting? Is the file system complicated?

The truncation issue is fixed in undelete 0.3, and it also uses the same truncation trick when it empties the dustbin; I don't know why but it does seem to keep the box happier with large deletes (I'm assuming it causes fewer filesystem journal operations)

Code:
humax# opkg update
humax# diag upgrade_dustbin

I've asked this somewhere else before - what's so hard about deleting? Is the file system complicated?

"
The traditionally Unix-derived filesystems like Ext3 use an indirect block mapping scheme to keep track of each block used for the blocks corresponding to the data of a file. This is inefficient for large files, specially on large file delete and truncate operations, because the mapping keeps a entry for every single block, and big files have many blocks -> huge mappings, slow to handle.
"

It doesn't seem like ext3 is really a good choice for a PVR! ext4 would be far better.

The truncation issue is fixed in undelete 0.3, and it also uses the same truncation trick when it empties the dustbin; I don't know why but it does seem to keep the box happier with large deletes (I'm assuming it causes fewer filesystem journal operations)

Code:
humax# opkg update
I have updated to undelete 0.3, and deleted and undeleted a test file successfully. The file played OK in the dustbin, and also after it had been undeleted. So all that remains is to see if the dustbin will empty itself after the selected duration has elapsed. I have set it to delete after 1 day, so will leave some files in there and keep an eye on them.

Thanks again for fixing this, I will see how it performs over the next few days.:)

When does the auto delete of a file take place, is it "x" days from the time that the file goes into the dustbin? for example, if I delete one programme every half hour, will they be deleted from the dustbin after "x" days, in half hour intervals, or is there some other system where they will be deleted in batches?

Also, would it be possible perhaps as a user option to change the name of the dustbin folder to something else, I would personally like "[Recycle Bin]" with the [ ] either side to distinguish it from normal folders.

When does the auto delete of a file take place, is it "x" days from the time that the file goes into the dustbin? for example, if I delete one programme every half hour, will they be deleted from the dustbin after "x" days, in half hour intervals, or is there some other system where they will be deleted in batches?

It's a batch process which runs once per day. It runs 6 minutes after the first boot of the day or, if you keep your box on all the time, at 2am.
It scans the bin and removes anything that was put there over x * 24 hours ago (strictly, anything that was last modified over x * 24 hours ago). It could be made more granular but I didn't see the need.

Also, would it be possible perhaps as a user option to change the name of the dustbin folder to something else, I would personally like "[Recycle Bin]" with the [ ] either side to distinguish it from normal folders.

Yes, it's possible, and I anticipated the question, although I might have to make it refuse Trash as a name ; ) It will complicate the implementation but I'll include it in the final release.

Just done a quick test on the latest version. All working well so far, items deleted still playable. Can't test for auto deletion from the bin yet but have set it to 1 day so should have some deleting themselves tomorrow.

@af123, thanks for those answers, I will see if it deletes anything tomorrow morning. It's looking good so far, and I'll look forward to the final release.:)

undelete 0.4 lets you choose the name of your bin. Fixes a couple of other small things too.

Code:
humax# opkg update

undelete 0.4 lets you choose the name of your bin. Fixes a couple of other small things too.

Code:
humax# opkg update
I have just installed this, and attempted to change the name of my bin. This seemed to work on the webif settings page, but has not changed the name of my dustbin folder when viewed from my webif Browse Media Files page, or my Humax native Media - Video listing.

I have included part of my humaxtv.log, which seems to show my bin name has changed to [Recycle Bin].

Code:
>>> Contents of /var/log/humaxtv.log 4.93 KiB
-------------------------------------
Initialising Dustbin v0.4
Dustbin debug: 1
Dustbin media root: /mnt/hd2/My Video/
Dustbin path: /mnt/hd2/My Video/[Recycle Bin]

Will I have to manually rename my _dustbin folder, or should this have been done by the webif settings option.

P.S. Do you know why my inserted code box is displaying with a horizontal scroll bar?

Edit: I have sorted the code box issue, thanks to Black Hole & Ezra Pound.:)

P.S. Do you know why my inserted code box is displaying with a horizontal scroll bar?
Because your inserted code has gone in as all one line (Windows doesn't recognise the Linux end-of-line). If you edit the contents of the code box to insert line breaks, it should go away.

Code:
>>> Contents of /var/log/humaxtv.log 4.93 KiB -------------------------------------
Initialising Dustbin v0.4 Dustbin debug: 1 Dustbin media root: /mnt/hd2/My Video/ Dustbin path: /mnt/hd2/My Video/[Recycle Bin]

What annoys me more about the code box is the way it displays more vertical space than it needs - but from the experiment above, it seems that might be related to the lack of Windows end-of-lines as well.

Thanks Black Hole & Ezra Pound for solving the code box issue, I have edited the code text as suggested and all seems OK now. I must try to remember this in future.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back