[undelete] package released!

Obvious thing I'm doing is to make sure I only delete the program & not the folder but just thought I mention it in case a simple code change could be implemented in the seriesfiler package that would not include any folders in the deleted folder.

Careful, because even just deleting a recording replicates the directory structure under the dustbin...

I had 7 files in the deleted items folder. I selected 6 items and selected 'delete'. Selected OK to the are you sure you want to delete these 6 items. When the page returned I found 6 items still left. I did the same again with 5 items - same again, page returned with 5 items.

It seems that only one file is deleted from the selection each time. I was keeping 1 file in the 'bin' and trying to delete all the others to gain more space.

Not sure if this is the right place but as it is related to deleting:

Strange goings on when I delete a file (using webIF) in the folder media/drive1/tes/

The file name disappears and all appears correct. However, when I navigate out of the dir back to media and then back to the 'tes' folder I find the file name is back in there! I also think that 'cut/paste' is not moving the file out of the original folder but instead is making a copy in the new folder. I am still checking this.

When I confirm the delete I get quite a long message in red which I have snapped and produce below should it help.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 17
Thanks, that helps. I'll fix both of these problems in the next release.

Great, thank for this.
I am finding that watching a added video file generates a file in the dustbin. Well it make the file structure and says theres one file but when I look for it its invisible. The three files I played were all TS files from another PVR.
Would also love to be able to move the Dustbin folder away for the root video folder.
Thanks again

Cheers for the heads-up - it would be simple to tell seriesfiler to ignore _dustbin, but different people seem to want to use other names (e.g. [Dustbin]) so that might be more difficult to work around.

I'll have a look to see how the dustbin directory is specified and if I can automatically ignore it.

[edit - it looks like /mod/etc/undelete.conf is created by a binary and I'm still on an old firmware, so I can't install the package. Could someone post some example undelete.conf files with different dustbin directories configured?]

Something like the code I have in the empty_dustbin script is what you want if you're happy to add the logic to series filer.

Code:
if [ -f /mod/boot/dustbin.name ]; then
        dustbin_dir="`cat /mod/boot/dustbin.name`"
else
        dustbin_dir="[Deleted Items]"
fi

Great, thank for this.
I am finding that watching a added video file generates a file in the dustbin. Well it make the file structure and says theres one file but when I look for it its invisible. The three files I played were all TS files from another PVR.
Would also love to be able to move the Dustbin folder away for the root video folder.
Thanks again

It must be a file that is created and then deleted by the Humax software - the delete is intercepted just like any other.
Moving it away from the root could be tricky, but I'll have a look.

As I have mentioned in a previous post I have renamed [Deleted items] to [Dustbin] in WebIF and changed the name to match in Settings. Deleted items do indeed go to [Dustbin] in the way I would expect, but I also changed the time to 1 day before final deletion. Recordings that I deleted on Tuesday are still in the [Dustbin] today (Thursday).
Have I broken a link by renaming the way I did it rather than letting undelete create the new folder?

As I have mentioned in a previous post I have renamed [Deleted items] to [Dustbin] in WebIF and changed the name to match in Settings. Deleted items do indeed go to [Dustbin] in the way I would expect, but I also changed the time to 1 day before final deletion. Recordings that I deleted on Tuesday are still in the [Dustbin] today (Thursday).
Have I broken a link by renaming the way I did it rather than letting undelete create the new folder?
That may be ok - it only checks once a day (in the early hours or on first boot of the day) and looks for items that were modified more than, in your case, 24 hours ago. I would have expected them to go this morning but can you see if they go tomorrow morning?

Me personally I like to leave things as they are until I know it works and then when I make a change I can see if that effects the outcome, unfortunately this time although I left the name the same and to delete after 3 days I had originally changed from 2 days to the 3 days the next day which would mean to me the countdown to deletion starts over again, is this correct? I ask because nothing has been removed from the deleted items folder either which should have been last night.

Tonight those deleted programs should be removed from my deleted folder if it's working correctly and was reset due to number of days changed.

EDIT: af123 posted as I was typing mine out and answered my question regarding modified more than and the once a day check.

I had originally changed from 2 days to the 3 days the next day which would mean to me the countdown to deletion starts over again, is this correct?
I doubt it works on a countdown - easier to compare the timestamp+appropriate offset with the current date. That means the time-before-deletion does not restart just because you change the default setting.

That may be ok - it only checks once a day (in the early hours or on first boot of the day) and looks for items that were modified more than, in your case, 24 hours ago. I would have expected them to go this morning but can you see if they go tomorrow morning?
Well, items in the [Dustbin] survived another day, however I thought I would check the 'Undelete Settings'. Both fields were as I had set them. Gave them a refresh by selecting 'Update settings', rechecked the [Dustbin] folder and seven of the eight recordings have gone.
Will wait to see if the final one deletes automatically and report back.

I'm fine now - on rereading, it was the /mod/boot/dustbin.name file I needed.

I've upgraded now so I can generate and tweak files as needed.

I doubt it works on a countdown - easier to compare the timestamp+appropriate offset with the current date. That means the time-before-deletion does not restart just because you change the default setting.

Thanks for the reply Black Hole, I misunderstood how it worked but as always you enlightened me, I'm learning more each day :)

My first test recording I did on 3 days was gone this morning so it worked just dandy.

Thanks once again for your addon's and help :D

Will wait to see if the final one deletes automatically and report back.
[Dustbin] cleared on first reboot this morning. All is well. Thanks.
Looks like the first 'Update settings' didn't stick. Unless of course it applied it only to the new folder, that was generated by the change of name, which I subsequently deleted?

Back