[undelete] package released!

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I've just uploaded version 1.0 of the undelete package.

This package catches any file you delete via the on-TV menus or through the web interface and puts it into a folder called [Deleted Items] and then removes it from there after 7 days. The folder and retention time can be changed via the web interface settings screen if desired.

The [Deleted Items] folder isn't special so you can view recordings in it and move/copy them out if you change your mind.

This package requires that you are running the latest version of the Customised Firmware which is version 1.16 - see http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads

After installing the package, you will need to restart your Humax to make it active.

Thanks to brian, neilleeds and xyz321 for beta testing, troubleshooting and finding bugs!

The next question is, will this version work with the HD-FOX T2 ? I seem to recall you saying that you would add support in the release version.

Is there a special reason why the delete/undelete folder is in the My Video folder? I'm thinking it may be an idea to have the same facility for music and photos - one place for all deletes?

Is there a special reason why the delete/undelete folder is in the My Video folder? I'm thinking it may be an idea to have the same facility for music and photos - one place for all deletes?
At present, the undelete package only monitors and redirects deletions within the My Video directory. It would be possible to extend it in future to cover more but I suspect that My Video is what most people care about - the other directories (if anyone makes much use of them?) are likely to have been populated from other sources so won't be the only copy available.

Now available for the HD model too.
Installed and working, but attempts to rename the folder have so far failed. The new name appears in the settings screen but no change in the /media/video list even after a reboot. And no, I didn't try to rename it to 'Trash' ;)

Installed and working, but attempts to rename the folder have so far failed. The new name appears in the settings screen but no change in the /media/video list even after a reboot. And no, I didn't try to rename it to 'Trash' ;)
It won't rename the existing folder, but any new deletions should appear in one with the new name.

OK, tried it that way and finished up with the new folder, after another delete, but still had the original with my first deletions inside.
The new folder (Dustbin) didn't have the dustbin icon on the folder so I Opt+ moved the deleted recording from there to 'Deleted Items' Renamed 'Deleted Items' to 'Dustbin' and deleted the new folder.

I now have the original folder created by undelete named 'Dustbin' with the dustbin icon. :)

I've noticed that when both undelete & seriesfiler packages are installed a new recorded program on a series link automatically places the the program into the deleted folder of the same series that was deleted.

Obvious thing I'm doing is to make sure I only delete the program & not the folder but just thought I mention it in case a simple code change could be implemented in the seriesfiler package that would not include any folders in the deleted folder.

I hope I've explained OK as trying to type on my mobile as the wife keeps yapping in my ear ;-)

Yes, it would do that. This is a problem with several independent utilities running in the background and interacting - in this case (in case other readers don't know) seriesfiler looks for duplicate folder names and then moves recordings from a root folder to a matching folder lower down. So a folder that gets moved to the [Deleted Items] folder, and then gets recreated when another programme in a series is recorded... seriesfiler stuffs the new recording into the bin, there to get deleted in a day*!

seriesfiler and flatten are more-or-less mutually exclusive too. I have proposed a reworking of seriesfiler that would give it more universal abilities to do flatten-type things (flatten would remain for the keep-it-simple brigade), clearly a reworking will also need to take undelete into account.

* worst case

Thanks for the quick & detailed reply Black Hole, as you say the more packages implemented the more they will start to overlap which is what's happening here, it's a small price to pay for all the great extras you've all added.

I'll have a chat with Sam Widges and see if we can make the two of them play nicely. It shouldn't be too hard.

Back