Undelete Settings

Not true. If you want to know why, read this thread.
That just links back to this thread.
I think that BH's weird refers to the fact that you seem to indicate that if you set the top setting to 0 days, it doesn't give the same results. But I might be misinterpreting BH. But presumably you have tried that and it doesn't work for you?

No, I was using "weird" as in "that is an unusual requirement not shared by anyone else".

Zero days is not an option unless you edit the relevant jim file as per prpr's example. No doubt AF will incorporate it eventually.

Yes, the link does loop back, because LTK thinks he has adequately explained himself in it. I still think it's weird, and one day is good enough. If you're worried about the disk allocation occupied by the bin (as LTK indicates), you are sailing too close to the wind anyway.

My apologies BH.
But the link skips back to the top of the thread and then jumps to the 'new post' marker, which takes you back to exactly where you started from.
And I think LTK had explained himself adequately, it's others who are querying his motives (me included) that has caused all the dross in this thread.
Why on earth are you now querying his choice of <810GB further cluttering the thread?

Would you prefer "unique"? Same difference.

If we accept your principle, why "810GB"? Why not 800GB, or 1000GB? Is 810 the size of your disk, or maybe the largest value the WebIF will accept? What is the rationale for choosing 810?
"Unique" is slightly less pejorative.

After installing and formatting my new 1TB HDD, Web-IF reported 906.06 GiB Free space.
The default value in undelete for "Reduce retention time to 0 days if disk space <" is 10 GiB.
I plonked an 8 in front of that to get the desired effect.
I was slightly worried that if I'd made it 910 GiB, that mayhem would ensue.

It's not important: it's what I want.
But why do you want it? That's the bit you seem unable to justify. "Because I do" is not an answer. You must have a reason for wanting it.
After installing and formatting my new 1TB HDD, Web-IF reported 906.06 GiB Free space.
The default value in undelete for "Reduce retention time to 0 days if disk space <" is 10 GiB.
I plonked an 8 in front of that to get the desired effect.
I was slightly worried that if I'd made it 910 GiB, that mayhem would ensue.
Why would you think that? So if your disk was (mostly) empty and you deleted something, then it wouldn't get removed from the bin the following morning as you desired but would hang around for another day (with the dreadful consequences that would ensue).

But why do you want it? That's the bit you seem unable to justify. "Because I do" is not an answer. You must have a reason for wanting it.
Oh.

I hadn't realised I needed to justify what I did with a machine that I owned.

However, the reason is as BH states it,
For everyone else: what's the difference between emptying the bin as soon as possible and emptying it a day later? Answer: the disk free statistic is a little laggy.

Why would you think that? So if your disk was (mostly) empty and you deleted something, then it wouldn't get removed from the bin the following morning as you desired but would hang around for another day (with the dreadful consequences that would ensue).
I've only really thought about since being questioned.

I did wonder if I set the value for "Reduce retention time to 0 days if disk space <" to greater than the total space on the HDD, that a "divide by zero" situation might arise.

I accept this is based on no knowledge whatsoever.

But the link skips back to the top of the thread and then jumps to the 'new post' marker, which takes you back to exactly where you started from.
True, he's used the wrong link.

And I think LTK had explained himself adequately, it's others who are querying his motives (me included) that has caused all the dross in this thread.
As this has little chance of going anywhere of consequence (except perhaps to prompt AF to add the zero-day option), there seems little harm in having a bit of banter about it - in the process gaining an assessment of whether this requirement is truly unique and unusual (ie weird :) ) or has a level of support.

The clearest solution might be to allow the Remove files to be set to zero, but when it is to remove all the disc space options. (Logically one would also remove conflicting disc space options for other settings up to 6 days.)
Then of course you should also interlock the space settings so the shorter days can't be larger than the longer, or if they are blank out the conflicting ones.

I'm not suggesting af does any of that, but having spent some years in the past working on visual displays for plant operators these are the sort of ways you have to think if you want to keep everyone happy, including the system :)

I am sorry but I get the feeling of "Don't feed the troll" applies here. I cannot see any other rational explanation!
LTK in my ignore box

Interesting that Stummery, who appears to have joined just to comment on this thread, categorises me as a "troll".

I started this thread to ask a question, which was answered immediately.

All other posts in this thread are as a result of some members not being able to accept and/or understand my use of the undelete function.

This, then, transmogrified into (gentle) trolling of myself.

N.B. I am pleased to note Google defines "transmogrify" as to "transform in a surprising or magical manner"!

I agree. He has had 22 posts and 1 like, so he didn't join just to troll you,but I can't understand the logic of his latest post either. If there are any trolls in this thread, it's the rest of us, not you.

I think it was just a satirical manner of saying "you're on your on mate" (ie weird :) ).

I wonder if the definition of 1 day, 2 days, etc is a bit counter-intuitive. I'm not sure how the countdown logic actually works, but my guess is that 1 day actually means "will not be removed in less than 24 hours but could be as long as 47 hours 59 minutes 59.999 seconds".

As such, LTK's requirement for "just a short period in case I delete something as a slip of the finger" seems very risky - a delete operation made in error just before the bin clearing operation would leave no time to recover. How long does it take to realise a mistake? It could be as long as SWMBO finding the programme she expected to watch later isn't there.

Last edited:
I agree. He has had 22 posts and 1 like, so he didn't join just to troll you,but I can't understand the logic of his latest post either. If there are any trolls in this thread, it's the rest of us, not you.
I should have clicked on his name.
22 posts and "Joined: Aug 18, 2014".

This BB software has an interesting definition of "New Member".

I wonder if the definition of 1 day, 2 days, etc is a bit counter-intuitive. I'm not sure how the countdown logic actually works, but my guess is that 1 day actually means "will not be removed in less than 24 hours but could be as long as 47 hours 59 minutes 59.999 seconds".

The empty-dustbin job runs at 0206 hours (if the box is on) or 6 minutes info the first boot after that time. For most people, this means that it runs during the 0420 OTA window. Files are then removed based on their modification time being > x*24 hours ago.
So yes, the time period is variable and should be read as 'at least'.

The clearest solution might be to allow the Remove files to be set to zero, but when it is to remove all the disc space options. (Logically one would also remove conflicting disc space options for other settings up to 6 days.)
Then of course you should also interlock the space settings so the shorter days can't be larger than the longer, or if they are blank out the conflicting ones.
My web programming skills weren't as good back in 2012 : )
The custom firmware web interface project has been useful in developing them to the point where I now occasionally get paid for doing web interface work, although I'll never be good at the look and feel side.

I started this thread to ask a question, which was answered immediately.

All other posts in this thread are as a result of some members not being able to accept and/or understand my use of the undelete function.
The way this thread has developed is a little strange. Fair enough for someone to ask why you want to set it up like that but you answered that directly. I don't understand why you want to set it so low but I can accept it and some improvements to the settings page in the web interface will come out of this, although I won't be adding the zero option by default as it will be confusing for most users.

I don't understand why you want to set it so low
My 500GiB HDD was always close to full
("Sailing close to the wind", as BH has it)

I wanted the security of being able to recover accidentally deleted recordings, whilst having them automatically deleted soon.

Now the habit has formed, I like being able to have a better idea of my disk space.

If I could, I would set it to one hour.
I won't be adding the zero option by default as it will be confusing for most users.
If you chose to, you could change the dropdown to say:-

• Next Morning Reboot
  • Next Morning Reboot+1 day
  • etc.
Not very elegant, I accept.

Whilst we don't need a full dustbin scan every twenty minutes it would be nice if the size thresholds were checked each time during Auto and a full scan initiated if needed.

This would provide extra protection for those with almost full disks and reduce the chance of them running out before the next full scan in the morning.

Bin clearing could work rather more like auto-expire... in fact, couldn't bin clearing be incorporated into auto-expire?

Back