Undelete Settings

Here are my undelete settings:-
Web-IF%20Settings%20Undelete%202.jpg

Will setting the dropdown to "1 day" mean all the other fields will be ignored?
Or will all be ignored except the final field?

1. So presumably newly deleted recordings will not be available in the bin, but will just be really deleted if <810GiB?
2. As the OP has the top row set to one day, I assume that the deleted items will only remain on the system until the following day.
This seems to me to be a little pointless, as you have to pretty much decide you still want it immediately after deletion.

Keeping 810 GiB free seems massively excessive, many of us still have 500 GB disks installed!, why? You are not going to record that amount in a day

You might as well uninstall Undelete if you want to keep the dutbin for so short a time - I use 3 day retention and the dustbin takes around 10-15% of my disk space

The 810 GiB figure invalidates all the other settings anyway. The figure for 0 days needs to be lower than the figure for 1 day, which should be lower than the figure for 2 days...

I think the "8" is a typo and he meant 10 GiB.

The 810 GiB figure invalidates all the other settings anyway. The figure for 0 days needs to be lower than the figure for 1 day, which should be lower than the figure for 2 days...
Not according to af123
All will be ignored apart from the final field (0 days if < 810GiB)

I think the "8" is a typo and he meant 10 GiB.
No, not a typo

Keeping 810 GiB free seems massively excessive, many of us still have 500 GB disks installed!, why? You are not going to record that amount in a day

You might as well uninstall Undelete if you want to keep the dutbin for so short a time - I use 3 day retention and the dustbin takes around 10-15% of my disk space
I set it at 810GB so that deleted recordings would be deleted the next day.
I use undelete for its intended purpose: to make sure I don't accidentally delete a recording.
I don't need 3 days to decide that.

1. So presumably newly deleted recordings will not be available in the bin, but will just be really deleted if <810GiB?
2. As the OP has the top row set to one day, I assume that the deleted items will only remain on the system until the following day.
This seems to me to be a little pointless, as you have to pretty much decide you still want it immediately after deletion.
No, Trev. Once 810GB is reached, recordings in the [Deleted] folder will be deleted the next morning.

So I suppose my point 2. is about half true then (apart from the 'pointless' bit).:D

I set it at 810GB so that deleted recordings would be deleted the next day.
There's no need to do that - the "remove files from dustbin after" figure provides the override you want without fiddling with the cascade.

I use undelete for its intended purpose: to make sure I don't accidentally delete a recording. I don't need 3 days to decide that.
But that is to ignore another role for undelete: it is a back-stop for when processing cocks up a recording (decryption, ad detection, cropping, format conversion...). If any of these proceed automatically as a result of auto-decrypt or sweeper (for example), you might not get to find out about it for some time - and then you want the original still in the bin to recover.

There is little harm in having the bin store things almost indefinitely. All you want is for the bin-emptying algorithm to ensure you always have enough free disk for immediate requirements of recording and processing.

There's no need to do that - the "remove files from dustbin after" figure provides the override you want without fiddling with the cascade.
That would be true if there were an option for 0 days: there isn't.

If I delete a recording today (Saturday), with the "remove files from dustbin after" figure set at 1 day, it would be removed on Monday.
I want it removed tomorrow, Sunday.
Therefore, I have to set it to 0 days if < 810GiB.

But that is to ignore another role for undelete: it is a back-stop for when processing cocks up a recording (decryption, ad detection, cropping, format conversion...). If any of these proceed automatically as a result of auto-decrypt or sweeper (for example), you might not get to find out about it for some time - and then you want the original still in the bin to recover.
I can see your point.
However, I don't use any of those packages.

There is little harm in having the bin store things almost indefinitely. All you want is for the bin-emptying algorithm to ensure you always have enough free disk for immediate requirements of recording and processing.
Indeed.
No harm at all.
All I want is for the bin-emptying algorithm to ensure that I have deleted recordings after one day.

That would be true if there were an option for 0 days: there isn't
If I delete a recording today (Saturday), with the "remove files from dustbin after" figure set at 1 day, it would be removed on Monday.
Nice solution. As far as I can tell it should work!

That seems very picky to me, but the settings are available and you are free to use them as you want.

For everyone else: what's the difference between emptying the bin as soon as possible and emptying it a day later? Answer: the disk free statistic is a little laggy.

My thoughts precisely. I think it's just a case of "because I can", and a criticism of AF's lack of foresight in not including a zero-day option (who would guess?).

Once 810GB is reached, recordings in the [Deleted] folder will be deleted the next morning.

You don't need a large value to ensure recordings will be deleted promptly - just set the "Remove files from dustbin after:" to whatever you want,
3 is my preference because I only have a small disk but each to his own.
The other thresholds are only needed to provide a buffer if you run seriously short of space - 810 GiB is not short of space by any normal measure

My thoughts precisely. I think it's just a case of "because I can", and a criticism of AF's lack of foresight in not including a zero-day option (who would guess?).
It's not that difficult to change:
Code:
humax /mnt/hd2/mod/webif/plugin/undelete # diff -u settings.hook~ settings.hook
--- settings.hook~
+++ settings.hook
@@ -43,13 +43,13 @@
  <td><select id=undelete_keep name=undelete_keep
  class=\"ui-widget-content ui-corner-all\">
 "
-foreach undelete_period {1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 15 20 30} {
+foreach undelete_period {0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 15 20 30} {
  puts -nonewline "<option value=$undelete_period"
  if {$undelete_period == $undelete_keep} {
  puts -nonewline " selected"
  }
  puts -nonewline ">$undelete_period day"
-  if {$undelete_period > 1} { puts -nonewline "s" }
+  if {$undelete_period != 1} { puts -nonewline "s" }
  puts ""
 }

Nice solution. As far as I can tell it should work!
It did on my old HDD. I'm waiting for my new HDD to fill up to trigger it.
Why exactly? What's so important about it?
It's not important: it's what I want. BH has it right
For everyone else: what's the difference between emptying the bin as soon as possible and emptying it a day later? Answer: the disk free statistic is a little laggy.

Not a criticism on my part.
And it's a case of "Because I want to, and I can."

You don't need a large value to ensure recordings will be deleted promptly - just set the "Remove files from dustbin after:" to whatever you want,
3 is my preference because I only have a small disk but each to his own.
Not true. If you want to know why, read this thread.

Last edited:
Still weird; prpr has provided the neatest personal solution (and I don't think anyone else cares about it).

Would you prefer "unique"? Same difference.

If we accept your principle, why "810GB"? Why not 800GB, or 1000GB? Is 810 the size of your disk, or maybe the largest value the WebIF will accept? What is the rationale for choosing 810?

Last edited:
Back