UPD

The answer to the question should never be "Me". It is grammatically incorrect and you have also fallen into the same trap as I and answered the "Who" question, not the "What" question.

OK. "It's all irrelevant - the answer to "What's a normal person ?" should always be "One with an identical mind to mine" as that ... "
Or should it be "identical mind to I"?

OK. "It's all irrelevant - the answer to "What's a normal person ?" should always be "One with an identical mind to mine" as that ... "
Or should it be "identical mind to I"?
So, it would seem that "I" stands for "Irrelevant".

It all irrelevant - the answer to "What's a normal person ?" should always be "Me" as that is the only mind to which one has access to. (Hence it must contain both the yardstick for 'normal' as well as the current condition of that mind, meaning both states are equal.)
OTOH one has no idea what's going on inside anyone else's head, except that it is almost certainly different from one's own in some way, so they almost certainly can't be normal.

I would have to disagree with the logic here.

Just because the only mind that I have positive information on is my own it would be wrong to assume that I am normal.

It may be that there are lots of other minds out there like mine in which case I am normal.

However it may also be that everyone out there is "of a similar mind" and I'm an outlier and therefore not normal.

I have no evidence one way or another to determine if I am normal and even if I could read the mind of every person I encountered the percentage of the world population would be so small that I'd still not have any statistically significant data to determine if I was normal.

All I know is that "I think therefore I am" or me thinks me is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mind went blank and I couldn't remember what an avatar was. Icon was my nearest guess then I realised it was the default.

Think it's getting late and I need my sleep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you have also fallen into the same trap as I

Nobody normal would say that! Despite the fact that there is an elided have there, it is almost universal now to say me.

Nobody would say It's I! either.

Or Marley and I!

Just off to watch The King and Me...

Common usage by people who don't know better does not make it acceptable grammatically.Then they would be wrong.

Define wrong! You are swimming against the tide here. Although misplaced apostrophes, which make text difficult to understand, are a pain, I am quite relaxed about you and me using you and me rather than the terribly affected you and I and it's I. I am not so sure about uninterested and disinterested, though, nor affect and effect, but I guess those battles are already lost.

As for common usage, there are enough examples of common usage becoming accepted grammar already, and this case is already lost. Do you want us to revert to, what?, Latin?, Anglo-Saxon?, Norman French?, Middle Ages English?

We users own the English language, not the Queen, and certainly not some rulebook frozen in time. The rulebook is a total mess already, with all its exceptions. Just make a new exception: It's me is acceptable and correct.

As for Lynn Truss, I disagree with many of her arbitrary rules. I am not going to try to stop her writing that way, though!

So ok fare enuf me giv in init.
Presumably this is the type of English for which you strive?

So ok fare enuf me giv in init.
Presumably this is the type of English for which you strive?
Not at all. There is a clear difference between minor things like I and we and major changes like that. If you try to enforce silly rules, people might react against them by breaking all the rules. The point in question is not about the spelling of fair, give, isn't it and enough, though perhaps the latter is ripe for reform. Most of us would accept I as the subject of a verb rather than me, too.​
I guess most of us Brits would find the affected English of queenie comical and ludicrous, similarly the speech of the private schools. It is I is a case in point. Yes, logically, in the context of a grammar that equates subject and object in a to be verb, it is correct, but it also grates on the ears of most of us. Change the grammar, and we all know that English is a master at that, and It is me becomes correct and It is I incorrect. Common usage, the basis of any grammar, has already voted with it's feet on that one.​

Stick around and you'll find out. We don't argue here, we discuss as intelligent learned adults.

:confused: Scratches head..
Are you lot having a laugh or is this an argument? :confused:

I hope you are a disinterested, but interested, observer. We hope you are affected by our discussion and the effect is permanent.

As for Trev, he is just affected! :p Let us try to effect a change in his behaviour.

It seems that we have some Mike. But I don't think magic.m has got his head around the type of discussions that go on in The Arms.

Back