Want to install custom firmware but have a question about It

I would like to stream on home network ...recorded programs from the Humax to 2 Smart Panasonic TVs is this possible? ......would "Mediatomb"...be the one to add to the humax ?...
Yes, Mediatomb or Twonkymedia 4 should do the job. You can install both and see which one works best. Hint: once installed you can stop and start each one from the Services page in the Web Interface. You can uninstall one or both just as easily. If you find that your Panny plays the audio description track instead of the main audio track you will need to install the 'convertfiles' package also. Each package will also install it's own help file so check the Docs page in the Web interface after installing a package for detailed usage info.

Eventually found a Hama 4GB memory stick.......Quite a rare thing it seems......plenty of 64 or 128GB sticks available.......

Anyway.......Success :) :) .....all done now and one box is updated and has connection to my iMac....

Sorry...... yet more Questions........ i would like to stream on home network ...recorded programs from the Humax to 2 Smart Panasonic TVs is this possible? ......would "Mediatomb"...be the one to add to the humax ?...

thanks everyone for all the help ...and being patent with me....

No problem with SD recordings as they aren't encrypted. Existing HD ones are encrypted so can't be played elsewhere. There is a fix for future recordings using Nowsters Patch . You may also need to use the convertfiles package for HD content if the remote source picks up the Audio Described audio track and has no way of switching to the main ac3 audio stream.

Twonky4 works for me. I have a Panasonic smart TV (it sits right on top of the Foxsat). Checking out streaming as I type.

Sorry bad news - neither HD or SD works (also tried MediaTomb). If one of the other TV's has a CF equipped Foxsat connected then all is not lost. You can cross mount two Foxsats using the NASmount package so you can watch unencrypted recordings made on the other. I don't know if you can use 3 Foxsats though. Best to ask in the CF thread as Raydon or AF123 will certainly know if it's possible. After doing this the source file needs a small fix to correct the filepath before you can view it again. Again there's a package that will do this automatically.

I can stream from my Foxsat to the following kit.

Two HDR FOX T2's and a HDR1000S freetime pvr, Android devices - Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, Nexus 7 tablet Asus Prime and of course my laptop. Failing that a networked media player like the WD LIVE may well work.

Yes, Mediatomb or Twonkymedia 4 should do the job. You can install both and see which one works best. Hint: once installed you can stop and start each one from the Services page in the Web Interface. You can uninstall one or both just as easily. If you find that your Panny plays the audio description track instead of the main audio track you will need to install the 'convertfiles' package also. Each package will also install it's own help file so check the Docs page in the Web interface after installing a package for detailed usage info.

Just tried with my Panny AS800 series freetime TV (see above post). Sadly just like Grandsons Sony it won't open any of the files.

Just tried with my Panny AS800 series freetime TV (see above post). Sadly just like Grandsons Sony it won't open any of the files.
Is that after 'convertfiles' has been used to patch the PMT (Program Map Table) of the recording ? I seem to recall that Adrian had a Panny or a Sony, (not sure which, or what model) that could play these streams OK after running 'convertfiles' on them.

Is that after convertfiles has been used to patch the PMT (Program Map Table) of the recording ? I seem to recall that Adrian had a Panny or a Sony, (not sure which) that could play these streams OK after running 'convertfiles' on them.

Yes - I also made a short SD instant recording and couldn't play that either. Both stream fine to my HDR1000S.

As the Foxsat is directly connected to the Panny by HDMI it's not something I have tried before.

Raydon did you see the question about cross mounting 3 Foxsat-HDRs
Uncharted territory, but I don't see why not. Shouldn't be any problem setting it up. Need to first set a unique hostname for each one via the Settings page immediately after flashing CFW and installing the full web interface (System Settings/Hostname). Something like foxsat1, foxsat2, foxsat2 should do. Secondly, install samba on all of them. Then using the IP addresses of each of the other two, set up two NASMount shares on each box using the common samba share name "Video", set the mount directory as "hostname of another box", and user name "root" password "root", auto mount checked or not as preferred. (I always leave auto mount unchecked so I can mount/unmount shares from the Settings page as required). Shares to each of the other two boxes should then appear under drive sda1.
Having said all that, the OP himself said, and I quote "I'm a bit useless with computer typestuff" so this might be a little too much for a newbie to take in. Bearing in mind that he would also have to set up "fixfilepaths" to correct hmt's after playing anything via a crossmounted share.

I have three cross-mounted HDR-FOXes, also accessible from HD-FOXes.
Yes, but you are not a newbie, and fortunately the Freeview boxes do not suffer with the .ts filepath dependency in the .hmt files that affects Foxsat HDR playback.

IMG_1704.jpeg Just a update on how things are going here..........
2 humax boxes now updated and connected to the internet with Devolo 500 home plugs

The 2 Panasonic tv's ....(PX-P42GTW60 And PX-P55VTW60).....won't play back anything but will display the recorded program list from the humax .....But not to worry ....Im gonna try connecting 2 boxes together using (as Raydon suggests).... samba and Nasmount.....All very complicated stuff and well out of my comfort zone....but learning by doing......

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and Help :) .......

Last edited:
View attachment 1786The 2 Panasonic tv's ....(PX-P42GTW60 And PX-P55VTW60).....won't play back anything but will display the recorded list from the Humax
Did you install and run the convert files plug-in and run it on one of your SD recordings? You must do this for streaming to your Panny to have any chance of succeeding. Cannot use convert files on existing HD recordings as these are encrypted. Future HD recordings can be made in the clear by installing nowsters patch.

View attachment 1786 Just a update on how things are going here..........
2 humax boxes now updated and connected to the internet with Devolo 500 home plugs

The 2 Panasonic tv's ....(PX-P42GTW60 And PX-P55VTW60).....won't play back anything but will display the recorded program list from the humax .....But not to worry ....Im gonna try connecting 2 boxes together using (as Raydon suggests).... samba and Nasmount.....All very complicated stuff and well out of my comfort zone....but learning by doing......

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and Help :) .......

Exactly the same app and list as my Panasonic TV, good luck with the cross mounting :)

After hours of confusion and head scratching.........All done :) ..... following very carefully Raydon's instructions from post 28.........All 3 Humax boxes...." cross mounted " / connected together ....and all SD recordings can be viewed from ""USB1" / sda 1 (2)....on the other 2 box's..... :) .......

The Panasonic Tvs still won't play back from the humax boxes....But strangely my Panasonic DMP-BDT260 Smart Bluray player will play back SD recordings from the 3 Humax Boxes perfectly...? ................

Next step is how to get HD recordings to play.............How do i install a "Nowsters patch"...? ..............

Again .......A big thanks to everyone ........

Last edited:
After lots of confusion and head scratching.........All done :) ..... following very carefully Raydon's instructions from post 28.........All 3 Humax boxes...." cross mounted " / connected together ....and all SD recordings can be viewed from ""USB1" / sda 1 (2)....on the other 2 box's..... :) .......

The Panasonic Tvs still won't play back from the humax boxes....But strangely my Panasonic DBP-BDT260 Smart Bluray player will play back SD recordings from the 3 Humax Boxes perfectly...? ................

Next step is how to get HD recordings to play.............How do i install a "Nowsters patch"...? ..............

Again .......A big thanks to everyone ........
Download the patch from HERE. Put it onto your USB stick, same as you did with the firmware .hdf file. This time though, just plug it into your HDR while it is fully booted. Wait one minute then remove it and reboot. If it succeeded the .opk file you put onto the USB stick will have been renamed to .opk.done.
Now make a short HD test recording and copy it off to your PC, or stream it via Bluray player. N.B. All HD recordings made prior to the patch installation still remain encrypted.

.......Do i put it directly (Drag and drop) onto the memory stick ?........or do i need to open the patch download with RAR extractor..?..

The Panasonic Tvs still won't play back from the humax boxes....But strangely my Panasonic DMP-BDT260 Smart Bluray player will play back SD recordings from the 3 Humax Boxes perfectly...?
This is simply that the TV doesn't have the relevant codecs enabled in the media player. Yes, I know it must have the codecs somewhere...

Back