Want to install custom firmware but have a question about It

Hello af123 , I don't know what telnet is ! or how to connect to the HDR with it
I tried clearing my iMac Browser cache, but its still the same...would formatting the hard drive again do anything ?

thanks for your help :)

I would never manage that! well out of my capabilities ..(feel a headache coming on.. after reading all the techie stuff) ..Ill just have leave the HDR as it is for now.......

But thanks and Happy easter to all on Hummy TV !

I don't know it myself, so the following is the result of a quick google:

2. Make sure you know the IP address for the Foxsat.

3. On the iMac, open the command line terminal: Go >> Utilities >> Terminal.app

4. At the resulting command line input prompt, type: telnet <Foxsat IP address> (whatever it is in your case).

5. At the resulting Telnet input prompt, type the command as per post 80, then reboot the Foxsat (as per post 80).

Done. Easy peasy.

Not easy peasy for me :(.....I could not get the telnet to work.....So out of desperation.... i took the hard drive out of the HDR and put the drive in a docking station and wiped /formatted it a few times on the iMac,
I put the drive back in the HDR and the HDR formatted the drive in the normal way...then i was able to download the Web interface and add the custom packages ......

So The Foxsat HDR is working perfect again :)

If you had told us what you got stuck on with Telnet we could have sorted you out, and you would have gained a new skill (and a confidence boost). You could still try it now for future reference.

I did try ...but got stuck at "terminal"....To be honest ...I had no idea what i was trying to do and i didn't want to mess up the iMac .....Sorry, I'm just a bit thick when its comes to computer type stuff :(, but all working now ,which is great:), thanks for trying to help!

The terminal app opens up a command line interface within which you can simply type in commands at a command prompt. This is much more instructable than trying to tell you to click this or click that, when we have little idea what you actually have on your screen at the time, and also provides access to commands and command options that are not available in the GUI (graphical user interface - ie mouse and windows) anyway.

Just google how to open a terminal command console in your particular version of the Mac OS - assuming my instruction 3 above didn't work or you didn't understand how to do it (I don't know Macs, I just googled it and had a guess which version of the OS you might be running). The equivalent on Windows is to click the Start button and then type "cmd" in the search box.

Back