Want to install custom firmware but have a question about It

That's not what I meant at all. By "it" I meant the object in the previous sentence - ie the TV.

In order for the TV to receive digital broadcasts, it must be able to decode Transport Stream - ie have a TS demuxer and the relevant audio/video codecs - in the route from tuner to screen. It just doesn't have them in the route from a network-accessed file to the screen (the designers apparently thought that this was an unlikely requirement, and presumably provided MP4, MKV, DivX, whatever).

That's not what I meant at all.

In order for the TV to receive digital broadcasts, it must be able to decode Transport Stream - ie have a TS demuxer and the relevant audio/video codecs - in the route from tuner to screen. It just doesn't have them in the route from a network-accessed file to the screen (the designers apparently thought that this was an unlikely requirement, and presumably provided MP4, MKV, DivX, whatever).
A bit short sighted for a DLNA client enabled device, and obviously something that Panasonic had second thoughts about when providing codecs for the DLNA client on the Bluray player.

.......Do i put it directly (Drag and drop) onto the memory stick ?........or do i need to open the patch download with RAR extractor..?..

Just copy the file as is. It really is that simple. If you put the stick in your PC after using it you should find a text log file confirming it has been applied. Don't forget the reboot.

This is simply that the TV doesn't have the relevant codecs enabled in the media player. Yes, I know it must have the codecs somewhere...

Prompted me to try my LG Blu-ray player. That also works fine to my Panny TV.

Incidentally the TV will play back the .ts files directly from a usb device (including a hard drive) which may be a potential workaround. This way they can also be played on mobile devices while away from home.

Last edited:
You guys are clever..!.............thanks to all the advice and top tips.........Done It.. :) ....all three boxes now are HD enabled for home network :) ......
I would never have done it without.....you lot ... :) :) ........THANKS ..... :) :) .......

Sorry .....One more question....Can a single tuner (non HDR) Freesat Foxsat also be upgraded and networked...?.....

You guys are clever..!.............thanks to all the advice and top tips.........Done It.. :) ....all three boxes now are HD enabled for home network :) ......
I would never have done it without.....you lot ... :) :) ........THANKS ..... :) :) .......

Sorry .....One more question....Can a single tuner (non HDR) Freesat Foxsat also be upgraded and networked...?.....

Almost certainly not (Presume you mean a Foxsat-HD). No hard disk, no recording capability, most likely limited memory and if I remember correctly the usb can only be used for software updates. Even if it could have some very limited enhancements, it wouldn't be worth the effort for such an old box that must by now be in limited use (most likely replaced by Foxsat-hdr's).

Sorry, No. As I recall, I did help someone to create a custom firmware to gain telnet access but that was as far as it went.
BTW, As Trev alluded to in an indirect way an earlier post, did they teach you at school to use a string of full stops instead of a single comma ? It's not necessary to punctuate your sentences in this way, and it is just distracting to the reader.

Nowt wrong with emoticons if they serve a purpose; "..." (three dots) is called an ellipsis and indicates something implied and unspoken. Don't forget colons and semicolons.

Forum newbies might also want to read THIS (click).

Last edited:
"..." is called an ellipsis and indicates something implied and unspoken.
So, from that it would seem that Steve 11 implies much, and is a man of few words. Whether that was his true intention is debatable. All I am certain of is that its overuse is annoying.

Never meant to imply anything with use of fullstops, and smilies ,its just "my style" of posting stuff ,as you will see here from another forum i'm a member off http://robssatellitetv.com/topic/reception-may-2015/page/2/#post-12510

I'm just very grateful for the help you all gave me ,sorry for being annoying

I think you deserve a degree of credit for tackling something you clearly were not comfortable with. Persistence and some help has paid off in the end. :)

You do realise that from now on you are going to worry how to replace the Foxsat-hdrs when they finally break down. :devilish:

Mind you the CF can help there as well by looking after your hard disks .:)

Sorry fellas, bound to produce more questions . :laugh:

Be sure to read the documentation (the book icon), you will find a lot of information in there.

Back