Webif..Can't play Videos.

Gerrymac

Hi,
Been looking on the forums for an answer to the above..When I click any recorded programme and Hit Play.. I get a Blank screen. (VLC seems to be default player within webif)
I have read that VLC doesn,t work now..so I installed Splash..Can,t seem to get the Humax on there.
It does show up in WMP but only films that I have recorded are visible.
Can you play any programme using the webif..ie: soaps etc....Is encryption the problem?
Maybe it,s the browser I,m using..Any members using Microsoft Edge/W10?

Thanks.

It does show up in WMP but only films that I have recorded are visible.
Can you play any programme using the webif..ie: soaps etc....
The Humax treats all recorded content the same, it does not treat films and soaps differently

Ty for the reply......But can you give me a pointer(s) on how to view. I thought the like of "soaps" etc... might be restricted because of Broadcast Regs.thats all..
I,m a new member so any assistance would be grateful..:)

It could be encryption. Have you got the auto decrypt package running in the CF to decrypt the recordings?

All new recordings need to be DLNA indexed, by the Humax, this is not carried out immediately, If you find the visible films have this icon DLNA-small.jpg against them and the soaps don't, you have found your problem

It could be encryption. Have you got the auto decrypt package running in the CF to decrypt the recordings?
I had this installed..not showing now on web-if.. I had to reset all last night cause I lost my 800 Channels (RTÉ etc)..whatever I did!!!
I have 5 packages installed..I,m assuming these are the basic packages..
Auto decrypt is not visible..even when I hit Show (Advanced Packages are shown)

All new recordings need to be DLNA indexed, by the Humax, this is not carried out immediately, If you find the visible films have this icon View attachment 3020 against them and the soaps don't, you have found your problem
Example..from browser page..clicked EastEnders (wife,s choice bty) then all epidsoes show..all with the Green sign..still no play..

There are three ways of viewing HDR-FOX recorded content remotely from the HDR-FOX: the standard way that is available out-of-the-box is DLNA streaming (also known as UPnP; for explanations see Glossary - click). For that all you need is a DLNA-capable client able to play M2TS data, but for HiDef recordings the client must also be DTCP compliant - which means (effectively) only another HDR-FOX or HD-FOX can access HiDef recordings that way. The VLC stand-alone app (eg running on a PC) is able to access DLNA servers and play their content, but will not be able to play HiDef recordings because of their protection (which the Custom Firmware can unlock using the auto-unprotect package).

The next is to be able to access the HDR-FOX HDD as if it were a NAS on your home network, or by FTP. FTP is available as standard (although a better FTP server is available as a CF package), while NAS access is a capability made available by installing the CF and the samba package (which confers SMB network file sharing). In this case your PC (or other computing device) will be able to browse the HDR-FOX's file system just like any other NAS, and access the files in it directly just as if they were stored locally. Thus any media player able to play M2TS files (ie the HDR-FOX's .TS files) will be able to render the content... but only if the content has been decrypted first. VLC and Splash are good players for this solution.

The third way is to use the WebIF media browser as an intermediary. Clicking the recording and selecting play (in the pop-up) for any particular recording listed either streams the DLNA version (if the recording has not been decrypted), or streams the file as-is (if the recording is already decrypted). The problem with this is that it is reliant on your web browser having a media player capability in the form of a VLC extension, and we have found that the browser extensions are not particularly reliable (browser or extension updates sometimes "break it"). Alternatively, click the OPT+ button and select the download option. This saves a file to the computer which you can then play locally (without relying on a browser extension).

Whichever method you prefer, you need to be conversant with the restrictions imposed by the Freeview transmission format, restrictions imposed by the broadcasters, limitations imposed by Humax's design and software, and the facilities offered by the Custom Firmware to get around many of these restrictions - but they are only work-arounds, so some understanding helps to ensure you have everything set up the way you need.

Please familiarise yourself with:
With regard to compatibility with the various media players:
  • Freeview (UK) TV is broadcast in the TS container format, but written to disk as M2TS by the HDR-FOX;
  • The video stream is MPEG Video (StDef) or H.264 (HiDef);
  • The audio stream is MPEG-1 Audio Layer II (StDef, AKA MP2) or AAC (HiDef).
(A container format is a means to multiplex several data streams together, synchronised in time. In the case of Freeview TV, there is the video stream, one or more audio streams for alternative languages or audio description, and a subtitle stream. A media player must not only be able to decode the video and audio streams, but also be able to extract the streams from the container file in the first place, and select the right ones if there is a choice.)

Last edited:
One thing to add regarding DLNA playback is that if you have custom firmware with the auto-unprotect package installed, then high def. recordings become playable on non-DTCP clients. However, not all player software can cope with the stream formats. On Windows, for example, VLC and Splash player are fine, but Windows Media Player can't handle the audio stream and plays video only without sound.

Note added.

I didn't realise Splash offers DLNA access. Splash is my preferred player for direct file access, as it seems to have a lower processor demand.

It has been reported that WMP just needs the right codec pack (and I don't think it "does" DLNA either - WMC certainly doesn't).

Note added.

I didn't realise Splash offers DLNA access. Splash is my preferred player for direct file access, as it seems to have a lower processor demand.

It has been reported that WMP just needs the right codec pack (and I don't think it "does" DLNA either - WMC certainly doesn't).
You are right about Splash. It can play local files but does not have a DLNA client. WMP can play files from a DLNA server. You need to have network discovery switched on, then DLNA servers become visible under network (explorer). In Windows 10, there is a new video player 'Films and TV' but I have not done much with it.

I.ll check that out with Films and TV.Trying to get used to the Apps on W10 too.
Just to add...I.ve d/loaded films from RTE Now with RTE they are in HD,although channel bar has it as RTE1 with no HD...but still play thru WMP...Still at odds as how to work Splash.
I.ll play about and see..but I think the more I play it confuses me.
@BH...I have read ur links on Encryption and sort of understand..
Many thanks again for all replies...more would be very much appreciated.

Do your HD recordings show the green 'Dec' flag on the Web Interface 'Browse File' list?

It isn't. Over the air it's .TS i.e. 188 byte packets. The extra 4 bytes for .M2TS are generated when the recording is put to disk.
Quite right - as my TV dongle will demonstrate (at least for StdDef), if I can be bothered to plug it in.

Do your HD recordings show the green 'Dec' flag on the Web Interface 'Browse File' list?
Some recordings show the green flag...others including the soaps don't.
I.m going to record a few this week on SD...
eg: The Truth about Sleep..recorded off BBC1HD...shows the green flag...but can't play it on PC.

Think I,ve finally got this....Reading way back on here..2011..I found a thread that gives a detailed account..Click the OPT+ > D/load> Save File.
Is this the correct way..I thought you just clicked on the Programme and it played.. Well it would if VLC still worked on the web-if..
WMP doesn,t work with this method..so using Splash..
Got there in the end, I hope...

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/how-do-i-stream-to-pc.847/page-3

Last edited:
That's a way of doing it, certainly - WebIF will try to decrypt the download if it isn't already, and if it wasn't already then the resulting file with be <number>.TS instead of <title>.TS.

Ideally the recording would play in the browser by clicking on it, but that requires a working browser extension able to play it (as noted above).

However, this is the first time I have become aware you are receiving RTE rather than UK Freeview, so what other problems there might be are outside my experience.

It isn't. Over the air it's .TS i.e. 188 byte packets. The extra 4 bytes for .M2TS are generated when the recording is put to disk.
Thanks; the effect is the same (I'm sure it makes no difference to most people what the air waves contain, all they will care about is what ends up in the file), but for the sake of accuracy...

I have always assumed the HDR-FOX simply grabs the data and stuffs it into a file. If it is actually massaging the data on the way, what else might it be fiddling with?!

I found out that Films recorded off RTE play on WMP....I,m living in the North,,but get Soarview channels which is a bonus..Thats initially why I purchased the Humax HD Box...My Panny Plasma wasn,t up-to date to receive the M-Peg Signals that are needed to view Soarview..but the smaller Samsung TV (Not HD) recives these signals no problem.I can now watch Champions League games thru RTE...again to watch on Ch52 (Freeview) these games are blocked,,,the same way they are blocked if viewing RTE thru a Sky box..I,m sure members from here will concur with the above.
That's why I turned down the offer from TT on a Youview Box...I had to tell the agent that..he was baffled as to what RTÉ was...lol
BH....Now just reading about Streaming....wish me luck..-)
Cheers.

Back