Webif Rename Issues

Starbase

Hi

I have recently used the Rename feature in the Webif Opt's to alter the Filename, MediaList Title and Synopsis of several recording, which then show correcrly in the Media Details popup box,

upload_2015-7-6_20-47-54.png

On returning to the same recordings to make a further synopsis changes, the Webif Rename only shows Rename Filename and not any of the other items. Any ideas why?

upload_2015-7-6_20-46-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-6_20-46-25.png
    upload_2015-7-6_20-46-25.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 11
Looks to me like the recording has somehow become divorced from its sidecar files. This could happen if the .ts file was renamed but the .hmt was not. Have a fish around with FTP (or a file explorer via Samba) and see what you find in terms of .ts, .hmt, .nts, .thm files.

The behaviour is that only the New Filename box is shown while more information is retrieved about the recording and then the other fields come into view. I wonder if there is something about the data that is confusing the process. Can you open a javascript console in your browser and see if there are any errors?

We had this bug (or something very similar) before. I think I found the cause somewhere...

af123 can you please supply more information on opening a javascript console and exactly what to look for?

I see what you mean:-

"The synopsis text in the default hmt created by sidecar contained a new line character which was causing the web interface hmt parser to fall over, resulting in a truncated hmt edit popup window. This has been fixed in sidecar 1.3 and the Opt+ 'Rename' popup will now display all editable hmt fields correctly."

Hopefully someone can find the cause and a solution

I've just used the Sidecar feature in the Webif to recreate the HTM file

upload_2015-7-7_1-54-51.png

This has now returned the missing synopsis field from the Rename feature (although only containing a message from Raydon about the Sidecar). I've reloaded the correct synopsis and rechecked it. It now seems okay?

If you are having to recreate the .hmt file, doesn't that point in the direction I was indicating?

I've just used the Sidecar feature in the Webif to recreate the HTM file

View attachment 1821

This has now returned the missing synopsis field from the Rename feature (although only containing a message from Raydon about the Sidecar). I've reloaded the correct synopsis and rechecked it. It now seems okay?
My default message in the synopsis field will only appear when sidecar cannot retrieve the true synopsis from the ts file, meaning the recording has been shrunk previously, or is possibly a non-native import. (So where did you retrieve the correct synopsis from ?)

I did note an anomaly with the hmt utility yesterday when playing around with shrink (stripts) options, which I thought might be the cause of your rename problem. When writing back the timestamp extended filename to the .hmt, the hmt utility places it offset ox17F, one byte ahead of where it should be at offset 0x180. However, after checking this morning it has proven not to cause a problem when renaming via the webif. Still needs fixing though.

From the sidecar screenshot you provided it appears that the original hmt file was present, so I suspect that corruption in the original hmt file to be at the root of your particular problem. Unfortunately sidecar will have overwritten the corrupt original with a new one so there is no longer an opportunity to examine it in a hex editor. If it happens again, first make a copy of the original, zip it up, and post it here for analysis.
Edit: No need to post a sample. Cause proved to be line feeds in the synopsis text introduced when editing the synopsis using the webif Media Browser "Rename" function.

Last edited:
I did note an anomaly with the hmt utility yesterday when playing around with shrink (stripts) options, which I thought might be the cause of your rename problem. When writing back the timestamp extended filename to the .hmt, the hmt utility places it offset ox17F, one byte ahead of where it should be at offset 0x180. However, after checking this morning it has proven not to cause a problem when renaming via the webif. Still needs fixing though.
Older versions of the Humax software used 0x17f, newer ones 0x180. Older versions expect it at 0x17f, newer ones are happy with either so I'll stick with 0x17f.

Edit: reference - http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hmt-filename-data-missing-since-upgrading-to-3-00.5471/#post-71359

I will fix any problems relating to handling synopses containing newlines - probably just a matter of escaping it (and stripping any when writing it back into the .hmt)

Older versions of the Humax software used 0x17f, newer ones 0x180. Older versions expect it at 0x17f, newer ones are happy with either so I'll stick with 0x17f.
Edit: reference - http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hmt-filename-data-missing-since-upgrading-to-3-00.5471/#post-71359
Thanks
I will fix any problems relating to handling synopses containing newlines - probably just a matter of escaping it (and stripping any when writing it back into the .hmt)
I've never seen a broadcast synopsis containing a line feed, but you can introduce one into the synopsis text yourself by using the Rename option in the web interface. When you subsequently try the Rename option again, that's when you get the truncated hmt edit popup window. Tried it and it does happen every time, so be warned !

Last edited:
Fixed in webif 1.2.3-4 in several ways - disallowing a newline to be typed on that screen, stripping any out on submission and stripping any out when populating the form in the first place. Thanks for the report and discussion.

My default message in the synopsis field will only appear when sidecar cannot retrieve the true synopsis from the ts file, meaning the recording has been shrunk previously, or is possibly a non-native import. (So where did you retrieve the correct synopsis from ?)

I've not been on the forum for a few days, but in answer to Raydon's question I retrieved the synopsis information from the IMDb and pasted it into the synopsis field.

Thanks to everyone for your help in finding a solution

Interesting thread.

I have a large number of BBC Proms recordings and have deliberately used the LF character in the Synopsis to help make the contents of the concerts clear - with each piece played appearing on a separate line in the Humax info display. It works very well indeed.

Of course, once I have used LF characters I can't use the WebIf rename but I can use my own Excel VB macros to get round that.

Perhaps I am unique in finding LF characters in the Synopsis useful in particular situations. in which case WebIf stripping them out and not allowing them is fine (as I can edit the field with my own VB macros). It would be interesting, however, to learn whether anyone else does (or might) find them useful.

All those Proms concerts (and much else) are on a HP Microserver (one of my best purchases) which is used as a glorified NAS boxand connected to the Hummy by network-share - so none of the editing was not done on the Hummy.

As I said earlier, I've never seen a broadcast synopsis containing a line feed, so this is a precedent set by the broadcasters. They must have good reason not to use them.

Back