[webif] Web Interface 1.4.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a bit more detail might help diagnosis,
  • Does it affect all of your boxes?
Tested three.
  • Does it occur with other browsers? Devices?
For the purposes of diagnosis I am now concentrating on Chrome in Win7/64, but it also occurs in Safari/iOS.
  • Does clearing cache help?
No
  • Any messages in browser error log?
[Deprecation] Element.createShadowRoot is deprecated and will be removed in M80, around February 2020. Please use Element.attachShadow instead. See https://www.chromestatus.com/features/4507242028072960 and https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2019/07/web-components-time-to-upgrade for more details.
  • Any messages in webif-error.log?
No
  • Do the other Jump buttons work? (Hours and Days)
You're looking at the wrong screen. I'm talking about the individual service EPG listing, not the grid-style now/next. The jump buttons work on the grid-style now/next, and the button specifically marked "jump to now" appears on the individual service listing not the grid-style listing.
  • How long has it not been working?
As long as I can remember.

You're looking at the wrong screen. I'm talking about the individual service EPG listing, not the grid-style now/next. The jump buttons work on the grid-style now/next, and the button specifically marked "jump to now" appears on the individual service listing not the grid-style listing.
Ah, that is a page that I never ever use, To me the EPG is always the grid style showing all channels

However I can now confirm that the 'jump to now' button does not work on the Chrome browser but it does work in Firefox & Edge on the PCand Safari on an old (and very downlevel) iPad

So it would appear to be some inconsistency within Chrome and possibly another glitch from your iOS upgrade that is the cause of your problems.

The code (in /mod/webif/html/epg/service.js) looks plausibly OK to me, but I'm no Javascript/Jquery expert.
Works for me too on FF but not on Chrome.

Try beta 1.4.5. Nothing clever, I've just updated the jquery.scrollTo plugin to the latest version and it's now working for me in chrome.

Also in 1.4.5:
  • Sort the queue by date (after priority);
  • Automatically create bookmarks after crop (from @Matthew)

This may have been mentioned before, but for me the WebIF EPG "Jump to now" button doesn't work.
"Now" seems to work ok on both of my HDRs.
I should know by now that if BH say "Jump to now", that that would be exactly what the button would say, not "now" as I had assumed.

Anyway, I have just tried the "Jump to now" button with Chrome Windows 10.
  • before updating to 1.4.5; as BH says it does not work (i.e. it has no apparent effect)
  • after updating to 1.4.5; it now jumps down the list to the current time

I regret it does not appear to be fixed in Safari/iPadOS13.
Have you tried turning it off and on again clearing the cache? IOS does seem to be a bit more inclined to cache things, including the component which has been updated.

"Jump to Now" is fixed for me in Safari using iPadOS 13.3, and Chrome 79.0.3945.29 using macOS Catalina 10.15.2.

Have you tried turning it off and on again clearing the cache?
I did, which meant having to log onto the forum again...

...but I just tried it again (encouraged by Brian's post) and it worked :)

Maybe I have to click in a very specific place!

Usually on the button helps. ;)
It shouldn't happen with jquery created controls but sometimes it can happen that the action is only associated with a portion of the visible button e.g. just the text or icon

The webif drop down toolbar is one example of this type of behaviour, when you mouse over the toolbar the entire Browse box is highlighted
1573577443309.png
but the action only takes place if you click on the word Browse or the the icon, it doesn't occur if you click elsewhere within the highlighted area

I don't see this type of behaviour on the 'jump to now' button when using Firefox.

the action only takes place if you click on the word Browse or the the icon, it doesn't occur if you click elsewhere within the highlighted area
Well I never knew that. I must always click in the right place as I'd never noticed it, but have just tried it and it's true. I consider it naff though.

The webif drop down toolbar is one example of this type of behaviour, when you mouse over the toolbar the entire Browse box is highlighted but the action only takes place if you click on the word Browse or the the icon, it doesn't occur if you click elsewhere within the highlighted area
This happens because the <a> is inside the <span> that makes the box. The reverse nesting is allowed and makes the entire box active.

This happens because the <a> is inside the <span> that makes the box. The reverse nesting is allowed and makes the entire box active.
Since we have lived it for all these years with apparently no one else noticing/reporting it there is no great need to fix the webif.

I raised the issue in response to @Black Hole's and @EEPhil's comments to show that is sometimes true that "on the button"' doesn't always work and sometime you really do "have to click in a very specific place! ".
Just because something looks like a duck doesn't mean that it quacks like one :)

However I don't think that this explains the problem that seem to only occur with iOS 13

raised the issue in response to @Black Hole's and @EEPhil's comments to show that is sometimes true that "on the button"' doesn't always work
Even though I was being silly... You make a good point. I've had similar experience with buttons within Java or even C/C++ programs misbehaving. Although on that occasion it appeared as though the mouse forgot where it was and reported the wrong position - probably a badly written mouse listener.
I think it would be a simple improvement to put the span inside the anchor.
Sometimes the simple things are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back