[webif] Web interface

To add to that... under the "Home and Away" dir in "[Deleted Items]" there are entries from: June 20 / 19 / 18 and then two entries from May 8th /9th so ... these were apparently the two episodes watched yesterday and then deleted last night. Since then somehow it has deleted all the others including the folder and yet still recorded todays (so #3 is "OK") into the [Deleted Items] folder (or maybe it has decided to delete them all after it was on at lunch time).

Once... could have been finger trouble, but twice is not!

Can anyone see what the undeleted package actually does, or have any ideas why / how this might be happening. Advised not to delete anything for a bit!

I have these installed:

custom-portal
dedup
nicesplice
nicesplice-magic-folders
ntfs-3g
portal-xtra1
poweron-channel
rs
seriesfiler
stripts
undelete
virtual-disk
webif

In the raw database view for schedules it shows Home and Away directory column as "i7Home and Away" which seems consistent with the others.

You are experiencing an unfortunate interaction between undelete and seriesfiler. Because undelete creates folders under [Deleted Items] with the same names as recording folders, seriesfiler gets confused and moves the other recordings to the same place, i.e. the dustbin.

Uninstall either seriesfiler or undelete.

We need to get seriesfiler updated, or I could mark undelete as incompatible with it.

I'll try and get in touch with the author of seriesfiler.

Ouch, and thanks for the speedy diagnosis, would never have put those two issues together. Kinda dodgy. Any idea if / how I might get those back. As far as I remember when I looked the other day there was 70Gb free. There is now roughly the same and 28 episodes of home and away disappeared since last night.

Right series filer heading to the bin then sharpish, only used that before to customise some folders I think it was because they kept coming up with loads of messy "_" characters in due to spaces, & symbols etc. in the series name.

I don't understand what point series-filer kicks in then but it seems it did this based on a file being deleted which then triggered it to create this other folder. The "Downton Abbey" one that had been recorded somewhile ago disappeared basically as soon as the delete button was pressed on one of the episodes inside it I think unless it happened to do a periodic run at a similar time.

I presume then that the "home and away" recorded today then immediately filed itself away in "deleted folders". Why then would only the three latest and two earliest episodes sit in there though - does it have a limit of 5 entries or something?

Do you think there is any chance of recovering these programs - have searched the HD for .ts files and nothing of course but don't know the intracies of what the scripts actually do.

Steve

Seriesfiler is designed to automatically move (file) new series recordings to wherever you have moved the folder.

Normally, if you move a series folder to a sub-folder to tidy up then the next recording just re-creates the folder at the top level. Seriesfiler looks at top-level folders and tries to find another folder with the same name somewhere else and then it moves the new recordings over to there.

So, for example you could move Home and Away to "Soaps/Australian/Home and Away" and then seriesfiler would move any new recordings to there once they have finished.

The problem is that when you delete an episode, undelete creates "[Deleted Items]/Home and Away" and then seriesfiler considers that to be where you want other past and future recordings to go too.

It isn't seriesfiler's fault - it existed before undelete, but it does now need an update to stop considering the dustbin as a valid target folder (I've emailed the author).

Undelete automatically removes recordings over X days old from the dustbin - X is a setting that defaults to 7 days. Unfortunately you can't recover anything that has been removed from the bin.

Hmm, that figures. The dustbin was set to 2 days... unfortunately clearly it doesn't base it on the time it was deleted but something else -- i.e. why I still have two entries (really manually) deleted last night dated May 8th, May 9th and then June 18/19/20 in the deleted items folder. Everything aside from that has gone.

So it would seem something like:

1. Deleted item yesterday made it to the [deleted item]\Home and Away folder. All the others still there in /Home and Away
2. Recorded today at 12:30 I guess it went to /Home and Away folder which then helpfully picked up series-filer moved it's contents to [Deleted item]/Home and away
3. Presumably because the deleted items were last touched when they were recorded they were seen to be deleted > 2 days ago and gone straight away.

So if you delete it manually then no doubt your 2 / 7 days starts from there, which is fine but effectively seriesfiler "moved" all the old entries there and triggered it to delete them straight away.

Both packages are binned as bloody dangerous for now, please warn anyone about this in the packages if you can?!

Steve

Sadly I only dip in here every now and again and hadn't seen that particular one, from about Jan by the looks. The undelete package I had seen mentioned the other day and sounded like a good idea but the two together are just a disaster. I stupidly thought the no. of days for the [deleted items] folder would base it on the date it was deleted like every other deleted items / recycle bin etc. facility.

Anyway just found one of these discussions and read through about the interaction though shame I found out the hard way... obvious really... seriesfiler decides to move all "new" entries it finds in the normal folder name and goes to the wrong place... though they weren't new :-( and then undelete sees a load of old recordings appear in deleted items (since the last modified time is ancient as they were waiting to be watched) and deletes them :-(

Helpfully the humax won't actually let me remove them from the webif it seems either as they both still show. The settings page has gone but they show still in the package list and using the remote control to delete the files still go to [delete items]\series name. Will see if it has sorted itself out with standby overnight before fiddling more.

So be aware anyone, don't use these two together, and if you, for instance, delete an entry you haven't watched and expect it to be in the deleted items folder then it would seem it will disappear based on the modified time of the file? Sadly the entries you haven't watched but accidentally deleted / got sent to the Dustbin are the very ones that were NOT ready for deleting.

Just got to conjur up 2 months worth of Home and Away now... or suggest reading the episode descriptions online and imagining the rest - don't suppose anyone here has them recorded!!

Steve

Undelete does use the deleted time as a basis for when to remove it from [Deleted Items]. Your problem stems from the fact that series-filer does not recognse [Deleted Items] as a 'special' folder and just moves the files into there with their original timestamps.

Undelete requires a reboot after performing any of installation, uninstallation or changing its directory name.

Just got to conjur up 2 months worth of Home and Away now... or suggest reading the episode descriptions online and imagining the rest - don't suppose anyone here has them recorded!!

Look on the bright side - think of all that unproductive time you've just saved (anybody running more than a week behind on time shift is recording too much, anybody wanting to catch up 2 months worth of soaps has too much time on their hands)! However, these are the kind of thoughts it is best to keep to oneself...

Thanks for all the responses, I do understand that now... undelete doesn't have a "deleted time" and just sees the old "modified time" does it's job (very efficiently!) and deletes, just frustrated and wished I'd seen the series filer / undelete thread rather than one just talking of undelete :-(

Blackhole -- Agreed, though wife who was gradually catching up on 40 or more Home and Aways is not popular... though that is nearly half a working week's worth of time that could be productively used to .... well watch some other rubbish...

Thanks for all the responses, I do understand that now... undelete doesn't have a "deleted time" and just sees the old "modified time" does it's job (very efficiently!) and deletes, just frustrated and wished I'd seen the series filer / undelete thread rather than one just talking of undelete :-(

I will add a conflict entry to the undelete package (so that the system will refuse to install both at the same time). That will prevent other people falling into the same trap until we can get seriesfiler updated.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but this thread is getting too long to check easily.

Having just relieved a 1TB drive of its previous duties, I decided to use it as a backup for the Hummy. While copying files across I notice that the status pop-down on the webif tells me I'm playing the file that is currently being copied but makes no mention of what I'm actually watching. Not a problem, but someone might like to know.

On the subject of backups, I notice that there is a utility call progbackup available, which I guess is quite an old script. The notes in the wiki don't include much detail on what it does. It would be very useful to have a script that would perform what synctoy calls an 'echo' between the Hummy's main drive and a usb drive, i.e. would copy new recordings to the usb drive, either automatically or on demand, and delete files from the usb when a file is removed from the main drive. I'm actually finding that having a usb backup is very useful, as everything on it is immediately accessible across the network with no decrypting or DLNA issues.

How would a process which kicks in to copy a file to the USB drive once a recording has completed be an improvement on unencrypt?

I think you have missed a critical point though: a straightforward copy that could be implemented in the CS would not do the same thing as a copy through the SUI - it would not be decrypted unless it was routed through the same pathways as unencrypt uses.

Quite right of course, a scripted backup using move/copy/delete would not be decrypted. How about an option in unencrypt that directs the output to a usb drive rather than leaving it in situ?

I think that has come up before. A settings option to send the unencrypt output either in place or to a fixed directory (including USB) perhaps?

However, I still have difficulty understanding the need. Once unencrypt has done its job in-place, there is no difficulty with network access to the internal drive (basically what I do every night from my HD-FOX + auto-mount).

There are quite a lot of things whose need eludes me (redring for one). It's just a question of what suits your preferred method of working. I like to control when my system does what - auto processes like unencrypt worry me. In fact, I'm persuading myself that the original enquiry was more idle than useful - better disregard it.:confused:

The utility that will synchronise two disks (or two directories) is rsync. With unencrypt automatically decrypting everything for you you could just set up a cron job to keep the external and internal disks in sync

Code:
<time parameters> /mod/bin/rsync -ar /mnt/hd2/My\ Video/ /media/drive1/Video/

Just don't forget the trailing / on each directory name to get expected behaviour and run it by hand for the first time or two (you can change options to -arvhh to get more output).

Back