[webif] Web interface

Web-If >> Diagnostics >> File Editor will allow editing of cron table e.g.

View attachment 159
It would never of known that file existed without being told or scanning the whole file system. Thank you.
I assume the file gets loaded over the actual crontab one when the Hummy boots. How did the file get the mods I made with crontab -e ?

To answer the how often do I change it question, whenever I am recording a film at the same time as unencrypt is due to run. I currently have it running between 5pm and 7pm every 15 minutes each day as the Hummy will usually be on then. I found running it overnight using the turn on turn off options from the Remote was unreliable and sometimes left the unit in half on mode. I want to be able to set the range and the frequency and also disable it for a day.

I have unencrypt set to trigger every 5 minutes all the time the Humax is booted, and it has not caused me any problems so far. Do you turn it off because of a bad experience? In general it won't actually do anything (other than check whether it should) until a recording has finished and been indexed.

I have some overlapping recordings set tonight, including HiDef, so I should know if there is a problem but previous trials have indicated there is plenty of bandwidth on the relevant datapaths.

How did the file get the mods I made with crontab -e ?

crontab -e just shows that file in an editor and checks that the editor doesn't report any errors and notifies the cron daemon that the file has changed.

Editing the file directly is fine (and what most packages do during installation) but you need to reboot to make the changes take effect (or stop and start the cron daemon from the command line)

I have unencrypt set to trigger every 5 minutes all the time the Humax is booted, and it has not caused me any problems so far. Do you turn it off because of a bad experience?

Off during normal viewing hours is the default e.g. 1,31 1-6 * * * /mod/sbin/unencrypt "/mnt/hd2/My Video/archive/" > /mod/tmp so he wouldn't be turning it off he would be turning it on (and then back off again), I suspect David_Brown_UK had similar thoughts to af123 when he made it run from 1 to 6 AM only

Unencrypt does do a lot of un-necessary work in that every time it runs it scans the whole video folder to find files to convert. It converts the first one it finds then exits. You then have to run it again to do the next file, again scanning the whole video folder. It would be useful for it to have an option, say -a , that makes it keep going and allows it to convert all files that need converting. This would mean only one scan of the folders and the conversion process would be completed faster. If you wanted a limit on the number of files converted at a time, a max file count option could be added, say -mc5, that would stop it processing after 5 files or when all are done.

I turn it off when recording more than one stream just in case it degrades the recordings. I have not tested it to see if it does but the fact that it's default is to run over night I thought it would be prudent not to run when the Hummy is under load, recording 2 streams and watching a third.

It would be useful for it to have an option, say -a , that makes it keep going and allows it to convert all files that need converting.

I take your point, but the scanning takes less than a second where as the Unencrypt can take 40Mins. or more. only one Unencrypt is allowed to take place at a time and when the Cron comes around to kick off the next Unencrypt it will only do so if the last one has finished, reducing the Cron interval to 5Mins. is therefore O.K.

Scanning may only take a short time but it is forcing the hard disk head to bounce around getting the info and so it isn't in the correct place for the next write. When recording 2 programmes and viewing another the hard disk is being asked to write 3 streams, the 2 programmes and the live channel. The last thing it needs is to be asked to read file info too so I prefer to turn decrypt off in those situations. If you also decrypt you are reading one file and writing one file plus writing three streams all at the same time.

I think you're wrong. I think the "scanning" is only a case of reading the DLNA database looking for an entry that has not been so far decrypted.

As far as disk loading is concerned, I have proved it capable of recording two programmes and playing back three simultaneously. However, if you are worried about the longevity of the drive you have a point.

Scanning may only take a short time but it is forcing the hard disk head to bounce around getting the info and so it isn't in the correct place for the next write. When recording 2 programmes and viewing another the hard disk is being asked to write 3 streams, the 2 programmes and the live channel.
Is the hard drive the limiting factor? The hard drive manufacturers data suggests that the drives could cope with ten data streams; I thought CPU was the limiting factor.

Does anyone know which DB stores the favourite channels ordering? I was going to ask if it would be possible to have the webif EPG listing showing in favourites channel order since I've swapped BBC1, ITV1 and Channel 4 with their HD equivalents and moved BBCHD to the 'number 8' position between BBC3 and BBC4. However TBL_FAV in channel.db just seems to have them in what looks like LCN order, which is the order that webif is showing them anyway. Also is it possible to have the watching/playing/recording banners on the main screen loading at the same time as everything else rather than sliding in afterwards because it pushes the big icons below down and it's quite annoying having them moving when you try to click them (not that you end up missing them because they're nice and big!!)
Just upgraded to 1.02.27 with CF 2.10 - lots of nags about a DSO retune on every single channel change when I'd first upgraded the main firmware but the CF upgrade dealt with them swiftly!!

EDIT: removed references to RS portal - something made me think it used the favourites list for its EPG display too, not sure why. Maybe in the future... ;-)

Hi, having problems installing the web application on my fathers humax. I've installed the custom firmware 1.02.27 and browsed to the Humax via the laptop but when I click on download and install I get

Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

Error retrieving package list from the Internet. Please check your connection
and try again.

However there is nothing wrong with the internet connection it works fine. I can even manually download the package file above. Any ideas ? Can it be manually installed somehow ?

Hi, having problems installing the web application on my fathers humax. I've installed the custom firmware 1.02.27 and browsed to the Humax via the laptop but when I click on download and install I get

Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

Error retrieving package list from the Internet. Please check your connection
and try again.
Did you have it connected to the internet when it was last restarted? If not, try restarting the Humax (make sure it shuts down completely).

it wont ping the bbc website I get bad address.
So thats the problem.
Wonder if its being blocked by the Virgin Hub. Its working wirelessly to the router okay.

We've had this kind of thing before. Try resetting the router. If that doesn't work, see if the router has a setting which prevents new WiFi connections getting access to external Internet (a typical security measure).

When debugging network problems I recommend using a wire even if only temporarily.

Back