What To Do with a Dead or Unwanted HDR-FOX, HD-FOX, or DTR-T1000/1010

Was this an April Fool? Are you regretting it now, 5 years on?

How long did you have to wait I wonder, and how did it work?

Strike the last part of that and you would be correct.

😭 😭 😭
I still believe that the Aura is a good PVR and it could have been great if Humax had continued the development at the pace that was happening at the time I posted those comments. Five years later Humax have finally put in the effort to fix most of the Aura problems.
 
Just to be sure, would this item be correct?
Those will do.

Before you commit, be aware this fixes a very specific fault with a very specific symptom. Check all the information (particularly the associated forum thread) and be sure your symptoms match the description.
 
Before you commit, be aware this fixes a very specific fault with a very specific symptom. Check all the information (particularly the associated forum thread) and be sure your symptoms match the description.
The box boots if he disconnects the hard disc. With the disc connected it's in a boot loop. Sounds like the same issue to me.
 
Don't hear much about the Aura EZ these days.The best days of the PVR seem to be behind us.
Freely had quite a big update a few days ago and the Netgem Pleio and the Manhattan Aero have both had their own updates bringing new features whilst the Aura EZ seems to just be stagnant. Maybe Humax are just too busy working on the original Aura update but given Humax time scales we can expect a promise of an EZ update in 2 to 3 years from Humax and a "they are still working on it but it is definitely still coming" announcement from Martin Liddle & Brian in about 5-6 years ( 1 year after Humax have discontinued the EZ).
 
Five years later Humax have finally put in the effort to fix most of the Aura problems.
What a crock of :poop:. 5 years later all Humax have done is sort out a couple of issues whilst leaving several others unaddressed and made endless broken claims of a major update date without a single thread of proof of any progress for 2 years whilst further issues have been mounting up and have even discontinued the Aura months ago.
 
Five years later Humax have finally put in the effort to fix most of the Aura problems.
Whilst I haven't had as many problem with my Aura as some others have, it's infuriating that the blank screen and virtually no sound problem that regularly occurs on some D3&4 channels has not been solved. Yes, I can watch the channels live elsewhere and I can watch affected recordings by devious methods - but why should I?
 
What a crock of :poop:. 5 years later all Humax have done is sort out a couple of issues whilst leaving several others unaddressed and made endless broken claims of a major update date without a single thread of proof of any progress for 2 years whilst further issues have been mounting up and have even discontinued the Aura months ago.
Some people are using the new software!
 
No, it depends exactly when in the boot cycle the reset occurs. A booting box with HDD disconnected could be just a faulty HDD. Replacing the capacitor carries risk, and should not be attempted if not warranted.

Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (click)
Put the hard disc in from the original HDR Fox T2 then. That one is known to work, if it goes into a boot loop with that it's not a faulty hard disc.
 
Last edited:
My HDR Fox T2 following running a while with flaky recording has now got a failed HDU , reformatting has had no effect it cannot write to the drive, external drives can still be played.
Thus my thinking is I need to replace the internal Drive. Can someone suggest a currently available 1Gb drive that would be compatible ?
 
My HDR Fox T2 following running a while with flaky recording has now got a failed HDU , reformatting has had no effect it cannot write to the drive, external drives can still be played.
Reformatting does little to fix a disc with errors since it is a brief logical operation that creates a new filesystem structure. What you could do is run a long (or is it called extended?) hard disc test in the telnet menu that is part of the custom firmware, and if it finds any bad sectors then run fixdisk from the telnet menu. This actually remaps the bad sectors with spare ones that all hard discs have.
 
My HDR Fox T2 following running a while with flaky recording has now got a failed HDU , reformatting has had no effect it cannot write to the drive, external drives can still be played.
Thus my thinking is I need to replace the internal Drive. Can someone suggest a currently available 1Gb drive that would be compatible ?
I recently fitted a 2TB Seagate ST2000VX017 into my HDR-Fox T2 and it's working well. (I know you said 1Gb, but probably meant 1TB!) I didn't do anything special, just put the new drive in and let the firmware sort itself out.
I got my drive from Broadband Buyer (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet), as the owner probably pays more UK tax than Mr Bezos ...
 
I recently fitted a 2TB Seagate ST2000VX017 into my HDR-Fox T2 and it's working well. (I know you said 1Gb, but probably meant 1TB!) I didn't do anything special, just put the new drive in and let the firmware sort itself out.
If you go above 2TB in size you need the custom firmware, that added support for bigger discs.
I got my drive from Broadband Buyer (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet), as the owner probably pays more UK tax than Mr Bezos ...
Very likely...
 
If you go above 2TB in size you need the custom firmware, that added support for bigger discs.
Of course you're right to point that out. I've been running the custom firmware ever since I bought my first box - and I assumed everyone on these forums did the same. (If not, why not?!)
 
Back
Top