What we Know so Far . . .

MikeSh, thanks - I'm sure it's me being stupid. The popup message stated something to the effect of "your recording [channel shown] will start shortly, swapping to that channel in 30 seconds". I had the option to change channels now or "cancel". Don't know what "cancel" did as I didn't want to stop the recording so I watched what I recorded.

I'll try various combinations of recording two channels and watching one on the weekend (if I get to the TV that is!) and hopefully will be able to report positive news then!

For our first HD box however I'm impressed with the (HD) picture and am loving FTP - I've copied 60GB of recordings from the old box (9200T this time!) to the new, so more catching up to do :)

Cheers all.

With regards to recording two channels while watching a third, the manual does say you can record two channels while watching "one" - the emphasis mine, whereas the 9100T clearly states record two channels while watching "another".
On the presumption that the 2000T is analogous to the HDR-FOX (and in many respects it does appear to be), you might like to read Things Every... (click) section 14.

As far as recording two and watching a third is concerned, if the two services being recorded come from the same multiplex there is a completely free choice as to the third service to be viewed. The easy way to tell is to use the "list" or "OK" buttons to bring up the service list, and the services which can be selected to view are listed in white (unavailable services are greyed out).

Further to my earlier post about filesystems, here's an update: I've successfully written to Ext2, Ext3 and NTFS filesystems. It recognised Ext4, but wouldn't write to it (no space available message), and failed to recognise XFS at all. Since Ext4 and XFS were included in the published config file, I wonder if that is an old config that has been superseded.

I didn't notice any significant difference in copying speed between the different formats, but I wasn't using a stopwatch!

It's a Hewlett Packard mainframe computer?

..I wish :)

I can confirm that it does what it says on the tin, in that I was recording two channels last night and without thinking was able to change to another channel.

I do get a popup message stating that a recording is about to start and I'll be switched over to that channel in 30 seconds; however, I assume therefore this is specific to a channel I'm watching while recording two others that isn't on the same mux.

So, it appears all is well and I needn't have panicked at the thought of being deprived of a virtual third channel.

I do agree with the general consensus however that the EPG could be sized more appropriately such that you can actually see more of what's on (thereby making use of the wider dimensions of a reasonably sized flat screen telly).

On the hole and in conclusion therefore it appears to be a pretty good box so far, albeit I've not had the pleasure of owning a FOX T2 nor am I an expert by any means.

Cheers for all of the comments and help so far once again.

I've just read Ezra's modified first post in this thread showing the differences between the 2000t and FOX T2.
I'm still considering whether to buy a 2000t and wonder if anyone knows the answer to the following:

If a suitable (All4One?) remote is used, are the missing remote buttons available. i.e. Can you get a remote source select, or Radio/TV select?
I suppose the correct question is - is all the functionality the same as the FOX T2, you just can't access it with the supplied remote. Or, has some of the functionality been completely removed?
I read in Luke's post (#220) that a workable wide button can be obtained using the FOX T2 remote. Does anyone know if this works in the 4:3 setting (will it cycle the display through auto, 16:9, 14:9 & centre cut-out) or does the 2000t refuse to come out of auto?

You don't really need the Radio/TV button on either the HDR-FOX T2 or the HDR-2000T. If you press OK to get the channel list displayed you can then use the left and right buttons to select the channel group, and one of them is Radio. While on the epg use the blue button to change group. Or an alternative is to set up a favourite group with both TV and Radio channels. And no, the HDR-FOX T2 remote's Radio/TV button does not opperate the 2000T.

Currently the FOX T2's remote WIDE button only changes the 2000T's setting when set up for a widescreen TV, as the 2000T 4:3 display format is for all practical purposes stuck on Auto.

The WIDE button is the only remote functionality that the HDR-FOX T2's remote has over the HDR-2000T's.

... as the 2000T 4:3 display format is for all practical purposes stuck on Auto.

The WIDE button is the only remote functionality that the HDR-FOX T2's remote has over the HDR-2000T's.

Since your comment on the wide button was added after the previous conversation I hoped it might be a new discovery.
That plus my OneForAll (not what I wrote earlier :oops:) can't be programmed for Humax's properly gets me back to square one.
Looks to me like trying to source a FOX-T2 is my way forward.
Thanks.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

I'm going for a refurbished 500GB from Humax Direct £145. http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10104
It only has a 1 year guarantee, but is more stable (IMO), the 500GB will be quieter than my current 1GB HDR-FOX T2, the wide button works for both aspects, it's got bookmarks, the non-RE version's tuners are noticeably more sensitive in practice than the 2000T, and when I do change my TV the v-format button may be handy. I’m also concerned about the two corrupt 2000T programmes which could play fine but could not be extracted or networked played by my HD-FOX T2.

I wouldn’t mind the 2000T’s IPTV capabilities and Humax’s probable concentration on the 2000T compared to the HDR-FOX T2 but the HDR-FOX T2 suits me better for now.

Hi all.

I'm considering upgrading my 9200T to a 2000T once the 1TB version goes on sale. Mainly to get HD channels, but also the (more or less) silent operation and being able to stream video through my home network, iPlayer functionality and just to generally update my box. I understand it's similar to the HDR-FOX T2 in many ways, but as my knowledge stops at the 9200T I wonder if someone could answer a few quick questions for me please:

I like being able to reorder or completely delete channels on my 9200T. Can the 2000T do this too?
Even better would be the ability to also rename channels, but this isn't possible on the 9200T. Is this also the case with the 2000T?
Are all HD channels grouped together or do they just appear further down the EPG?

Any other feedback on the 2000T so far would be much appreciated. Initially I was thinking of getting a YouView box but the Amazon reviews have put me off! I get the impression that if PVR functionality is your priority rather than catchup TV, the 2000T is a better option. If that's the case and the YouView software really is that bad, I'll live with just the iPLayer access through the Humax portal. Disagree/agree? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
James.

The following comments are for the HDR-Fox T2 but are probably similar on the 2000T, it is possible to have a favourites list where you select just the TV channels you want, you can also re-order them in any order you wish. It is not possible to re-name TV channels. The HD channels are are grouped together at 101 -105 plus 73 but as stated earlier they can be re-ordered to appear as you want. The YouView box has many limitation compared to the HDR-Fox T2 and 2000T there is a list HERE, I personally would not buy the YouView box with that many features missing

I'm considering upgrading my 9200T to a 2000T once the 1TB version goes on sale.
I would seriously consider getting an HDR-Fox T2 instead as you can install the custom firmware and make it a much more flexible box. The only real advantage to the 2000T is that it can receive IPTV channels.

:) Well I have had my 2000T 500GB for 2 weeks and I am very pleased so far :) .
I am new to Humax so cannot comment on Fox. But here is an update in several areas.

I finally got a homeplug link working and have been trying out file transfer. I have posted about an FTP problem in a new thread "HDR 2000T file transfer and FTP problems".

:hug: DLNA/Media server. This works with well with Windows 7 and Media Player. Only the SD programs show so far (as expected), I have not found any HD programs which show (though I am not recording many). Doesn't show on my XP machine (not totally surprised).

;) USB transfer. Very slow copies, as indicated above, but it works and SD programs will play in a number of video players including VLC, Media player and Media Centre. I am using an 8GB FAT32 stick. The HD programs, which do not show in DLNA above, do not play. Copies several files with different extensions, but only the .ts file is required and works directly without change to .mpg in the programs mentioned.

FTP: This is faster than the USB. Need to set FileZilla to single stream, only one file and or thread at a time or the error messages are continuous. Other than this refer to the other thread.
Using "Map Network Drive" to set up an FTP link in My Computer works - use the underlined link "connect to network/server ..." to set up the FTP. Just the transferred files are broken.

Channel ordering. There are comments on channel ordering above which do not seem to be accurate. There is only an Alpha or numeric sort, no re-order method. Putting favourites in order is possible but requires forethought. Method:- Have a mental or actual list in the order you want the channels. Start with an EMPTY favourites list. Add the channels in the required order to the favourites list. Hey presto you have a sorted favourites list in the order you need. To edit it you may be lucky that if you delete back to the insert point and then add back, it may not screw up, otherwise START AGAIN.

Channel delete. You can choose to delete a channel, do this instead of making it a favourite in channel edit. Also note that there is more than one place to edit a channel to set up favourites.

WEB Apps. Was very surprised to only find I-Player considering that the YouView has a full set. I hope this is corrected soon.

I chose to not get YouView after the adverse comments elsewhere and had been longing to get a Fox, but couldn't resist the new model.

Well there are other iffies, but I need to have a longer look before pronouncing. e.g. I do hope slow play actually works.

All for now Stokersson

Add the channels in the required order to the favourites list. Hey presto you have a sorted favourites list in the order you need. To edit it you may be lucky that if you delete back to the insert point and then add back, it may not screw up, otherwise START AGAIN.
I didn't make a note of it but I did not spot anything different on the ability to move favourites about as the HDR-FOX T2.
There is a move function within 'Edit Favourites'. Highlight the channels you want to move on the right hand pane by using the OK button to select them. Then use the green button followed so that you can move that selected items as a group up and down using the up and down buttons. If I remember correctly it then the ‘OK’ button to confirm the location.

Back