What We Know So Far ...

The skip facility on the FVP-4000T is actually more convenient than that on the HDR-FOX T2, due to the layout of buttons on the remote control.
There is no suggestion of free discussion being suppressed.

I think your reply to Owen suggests that free discussion is strongly being discouraged.

I don't like what I've heard so far about the 4000 and agree with everything Owen has said about the skip buttons etc. Just because you think that the new way to skip is more convenient doesn't mean we all agree. Not showing what you are currently watching while browsing the guide is a right pain in the butt aswell as I regularly browse the guide for quite a while and need to keep an eye on what I'm watching at the same time. Why on earth did they do that ??

I'm struggling to find any positives and I was really looking forward to this unit being released.

I think your reply to Owen suggests that free discussion is strongly being discouraged.
You are entitled to your opinion.
I don't like what I've heard so far about the 4000 and agree with everything Owen has said about the skip buttons etc. Just because you think that the new way to skip is more convenient doesn't mean we all agree.
I will also say that just because you don't like the new way to skip, doesn't mean that we all agree.
Not showing what you are currently watching while browsing the guide is a right pain in the butt aswell as I regularly browse the guide for quite a while and need to keep an eye on what I'm watching at the same time. Why on earth did they do that ??
You can still see what you are watching whilst browsing the guide, although it is not very clear.
I'm struggling to find any positives and I was really looking forward to this unit being released.
I'm not really sure what people expect from a bargain basement box like this, perhaps this box is not for you then, although I am quite pleased with mine.

You can still see what you are watching whilst browsing the guide, although it is not very clear.

I'm not really sure what people expect from a bargain basement box like this, perhaps this box is not for you then, although I am quite pleased with mine.

I would have thought it's a lot simpler to simply pause whatever you are watching (live or recording) to look at the guide. ;)

OK so this is a bargain basement box, you claim. Unfortunately I suspect that is the only product type we'll get, there won't be a bells and whistles Freeview Play box that costs £400. Which means those of us who would be happy to pay more for a better product are stuck with this one or nothing. So excusing it for being "bargain basement" doesn't cut it. I believe it is also the most expensive Freeview Play box on sale.

I will also say that just because you don't like the new way to skip, doesn't mean that we all agree.
I agree with Owen - you might not have intended it as such, but it did appear that you were trying to shout down opinions contrary to your own and suppress free discussion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in my view that should be an informed opinion - and taking a straw poll is one factor.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in my view that should be an informed opinion - and taking a straw poll is one factor.
I agree, but would tend to value the opinion of someone who owns, or has had first hand experience of the product, over someone basing their opinions on often inaccurate hearsay. Please feel free to set up a poll about this product.

I believe that the FVP-4000T is the LEAST expensive Freeview Play box on sale, I suggest that you take a look at the Panasonic range.

I which case I believe Humax are making a mistake in going only for the cheap end of the market. The HDR Fox T2 was originally an expensive product, but it sold well and gained a good reputation. It is a shame Humax are going down market.

I which case I believe Humax are making a mistake in going only for the cheap end of the market. The HDR Fox T2 was originally an expensive product, but it sold well and gained a good reputation. It is a shame Humax are going down market.
Yes, I agree with you on that one.

Well my 1TB unit arrived last night and setup went well. Interestingly I didn't have to do an update as it was already applied to the machine unlike the 500GB unit I set up for my friend last week. I think the hard drive is a little quieter too which I am pleased about.

There are definitely more key presses involved navigating around the unit, with getting to your recordings being the worst culprit, but I just accept that’s the way it is, if it improves with updates fine, but no worries if it doesn't. The coloured keys do not have any navigation function e.g. yellow to get to schedule from the guide.

I really like the way the library is ordered now without the folders. The programmes are nested within themselves e.g. one thumbnail of Eastenders, but a number count of 4 showing four episodes within that thumbnail so once they are all watched you don’t have to delete the empty folder anymore. These can be ordered by programme, channel, date etc.

Only issue I have at the moment is a very slight stutter sometimes on the picture e.g. when someone moves there head slowly from one side to another it kind of jitters. I seem to remember having this when I first got the TV so it maybe something I need to sort in the TV menus.

I tried to download some programmes from my HDR last night to put on the FVP but they kept timing out so I will need to read up on the best way to do that and try using CAT5 cable rather than wireless.

Humax seem quite keen on the UI, checkout THIS video of the icord Evolution, which dates from 2013...

Oh well, I think it's awful. Anyway, what I've done is bought a Roku for streaming to go with my HDR Fox T2. This gives me everything I wanted from Freeview Play.

Back