What's the weather like where you are ?

Steve 11

Hope this works , as its the first topic i tried to set up here on hummy tv

Ok , here goes , 22 deg here in Munich ,and a big Thunder storm , and no reception of any Astra 2 channels at the mo :-(

And thanks to "Black Hole" for pointing me in the right direction about creating new topics Cheers

Last edited:
Yea But you have great tea!!
ill have to look up this 55 temp is that cold? whats that in new money ?

According to Google, it's 12.7° Centigrade, cold for this time of year (although I do live 1600' above sea level)

The weather is British. A week ago it was too hot and dry, now it's too cold and wet. I just want a happy medium :inlove:

(Or, if you prefer: subtract 32, halve it, add 11%)
Too complicated BH. Subtract 30 and halve it for an approximation. 55F = (55- 30)/2 = 12.5C whereas it's actually 12.7C but good enough for government work. I actually switched on my heating for a while this morning. It's about 15C outside just now (15 x 2 +30 = 60F approx). Sunny? south coast.

almost tempted to put the heating on!
Having felt rotten all day, and then cold at lunchtime as well, the switch was switched! Bloody ridiculous this country. Can't imagine why everybody wants to come here.

Too complicated BH.
I had somebody else tell me that recently.

Going from °C to °F is easier: Double it, subtract 10%, add 32. Don't try to tell me that subtracting 10% is hard, or that adding 32 is much harder than adding 30!

To convert °F to °C is only very slightly trickier to get a true result: subtract 32, halve it, add 10%, add 1%.

The difference between the "simple" calculation and the "true" one is illustrated below:
Code:
°C          °F(approx)  °F(true)
 0          30          32
 5          40          41
10          50          50
15          60          59
20          70          68
25          80          77
30          90          86
35         100          95
40         110         104
Are you happy with that much difference? I wouldn't be.

With weather apps available on all our phones and tablets, and satellite images of cloud cover, radar rainfall maps, hobbyist weather station output and live lightning trackers available on the Internet 24/7, I'm amazed anyone finds it necessary to appeal for weather observations!

Are you happy with that much difference? I wouldn't be.
When I look at my thermometer (C) and HWMBO asks "What's the temperature" (F). It's good enough. and yes, adding/subtracting 32 is not much more difficult, it is more difficult to do in your head than adding/subtracting 30.
To convert °F to °C is only very slightly trickier to get a true result: subtract 32, halve it, add 10%, add 1%.
Jeez BH, I only was only suggesting a quick, dirty and easy approximate method. Don't have to ponce around with percentages and all that guff that HWMBO can't get her head around and gives a result that's close.
If it's 35C outside and my Mrs asks how hot it 'really' is (F), I can very quickly say "About 100". OK, 5 degrees F out but she would get the general impression that it was a bit on the hot side.

Ah, that's nearly 60F at a bit over 600ft:D
That took about 15 seconds to calculate and type. Calculate the real numbers and tell me how long it took you.
Mine was accurate to about +5% on temp and height to about -9%.
(57.2F and 656.25ft)

Last edited:
Back