WiKi – Custom Firmware Documentation

I've added a page with a step-by-step guide to connecting with telnet on Windows and MacOSX - http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet

Or Start --> Run...

telnet name_of_box

works for me in Windoze.

What doesn't seem to work any more for me is SSH via dropbear and putty. What are the username and password? The documentation seems to omit this info.

Yes, that works with some versions of windows (it's an optional install from Vista onwards I think) but it isn't the greatest telnet client around and will usually send double newlines unless you change options. Works for basic stuff though.

For information: the Windows telnet client should be given the command "unset crlf" before opening the connection to the Humax. This will eliminate the double line feeds, and some commands won't work properly without it.

Regarding the Wiki contents list, I realise the package notes are listed under Resources, but would it be possible to also list them under Customised Firmware? It would make them easier to find.

In view of the recent problems somebody suffered with the seriesfiler-undelete conflict, I have been considering how to signpost the developmental nature of the custom packages - clearly as the whole development matures they can be mistaken as cut and dried.

My suggestion is to include links to relevant forum topics within the Wiki package notes.

I still think the package notes are listed in the wrong place.

The WiKi is a reference book not a novel

We clearly have different opinions as to what constitutes a "reference book". In my view it should provide quick-reference summaries and chapter-and-verse, with adequate cross-referencing between the two. As it stands the Wiki only provides the former, and would benefit from some detailed foot-notes and/or cross-references to the relevant forum discussions. I would be willing to plug the gaps, but I am already over-committed and in any case I doubt you would be happy if I invaded your turf.

Since you seem determined to throw down the gauntlet, let me suggest this to you: the Wiki is inconsistent in its presentation, is incomplete even in your own definition of "reference book", and is difficult to navigate without helpful hints posted in the forum. The narrative information I write in forum posts complements the Wiki and I see no reason to poo-poo my cross-references - at least I post links to the Wiki when there is something helpful, I notice you never post links to the narrative.

I'm glad you’ve used this thread to comment on the WiKi, It's a pity that you seem to be the only contributor to this forum that feels the need to lock your posts so that other people don’t have the same opportunity to comment on your words of wisdom, e.g :-

HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware
-- QUICK START GUIDE (Locked)
-- NEW READERS START HERE (Locked)

HDR-FOX T2

HD-FOX T2
-- Things Every HD-FOX T2/HDR-FOX T2 Owner Should Know (Locked)
-- Non-Custom Protection from OTA (Locked)

I have just deleted the 400th bogus user name registration from the WiKi, In order to keep the User list down, anyone creating a user account must get it approved within 7 Days, If this is not done the new user account will be removed. Note:- This will not prevent the user from reading the WiKi

I did not put this page WiKi together but, I have tried this on the Windows version of Putty an it does open with SSH on port 22 and it does change to port 23 when Telnet is selected

If I first select Raw or Serial, the port changes to 23 automatically when I select Telnet otherwise I need to set it to 23 manually..

My PuTTY is ver. 0.62

I have 4 Saved Sessions in addition to Default so maybe that has an effect.

The WiKi has recently clocked up it's 100,000th visit to the Main page, with a Total page view count in excess of 550,000. I'm glad users are still finding it useful

100k-stats.png

Can't connect to wiki.hummy.tv.
Hence having problems updating my Humax.

Anybody else having problems?

EDIT: just typical, it came back just after I sent this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The wiki has nothing to do with where your Humax goes to get updates.
FWIW, both are accessible from here.

Interesting that Wallace reported same problem at approx same time.

I tried connecting to wiki (not there!) via Webif and IE.

Few minutes later tried wiki again and updates worked also. Not just hanging with spinning curser.

Perhaps the updates are on same part of nw as wiki.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They're hosted on the same server which does seem to have gone down briefly.
So when I mentioned in this thread about issues with updates I was criticised (by others) because the Wiki/Forums are apparently nothing to do with the update server, yet it is the same server.
Hmm...

I guess I should have checked and not necessarily believe what other people write.

Back