Windows 10!!

I know nothing about doing this - but it sounds like a good solution. But is a virtual Win xx inside Linux slower/much slower than Win xx? Can it access USB devices? Can it be prevented from accessing the internet?
Obviously you need decent hardware and plenty of RAM, but the processors available over the last couple of years have hardware support for virtualisation. The virtualisation software looks after routing the virtual ports through to the real ones, and can be enabled/disabled as you like.

When you start a VM (virtual machine), it uses an image file to start up, and the image file can be prevented from being updated, or refreshed on exit. This means you can also keep your virtual OS in different states for different purposes - or even so that it always starts up in a default state, ideal for communal computer access. There are downloadable ready-built images for free OSes, or you can build your own VM by opening a new session and building from the installation disks just as you would when installing to a PC.

If you are running Win7, you already have Windows Virtual Machine, but there are others.

Read on from here: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/miscellaneous-purchasing-advice-recommendations.6298/page-3#post-82556

I have read that M$ is ceasing registration of new Win7 installations in the autumn. My new power-house PC is still on the drawing board (and now waiting for a decent cost-benefit analysis of basing it on the new AMD Ryzen), so I was wondering...

If I obtain and install Win7 in a VM on my current Celeron notebook, will that same image run when the VM is exported to different hardware architecture? I suspect it will, but are there any VM environments that interoperate between a Windows and a Linux host?

Last edited:
The VM only sees the virtualised hardware so as long as that stays the same it'll be fine. I think it does on the ones I've used - VirtualBox on Linux and Windows.

Anybody know the best place to get a proper Win7/64 installation disk? eBay seems awash with them but I'm sure they can't be genuine.

You can download the .ISO from Micro$oft.
I've got a few DVDs in my pile of stuff-to-do-something-with-at-some-point-when-I-have-less-pressing-things-to-do.
You can have one if you want. They don't come with a license key though!

As prpr says, download from Microsoft. My 'genuine' copy of W7 with unused serial number' from ebay, although working for a while turned out to be a pirate copy. I phoned Microsoft and got it legalised fro £ many several

Anybody know the best place to get a proper Win7/64 installation disk? eBay seems awash with them but I'm sure they can't be genuine.

I wonder if this is what you want?: Download the ISO from Microsoft and buy an activation key directly from Amazon [Prime]?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Windows-7/Windows-Professional-Activation-Key-Bit/B01FDOW0YG

I don't know what the link they will email will be; I would be tempted to ensure sourcing of the ISO from MS.

I'm currently considering a Linux build with Win7 under Virtual Box (or Visa Versa; which is currently what I do, except the machine does not have enough memory to meet my "needs"); but we do have to be aware that Win7's "life" is limited in support terms.

What support do you think it will need, once isolated in an unchanging "hardware" environment, with the VM manager emulating legacy hardware and a Linux firewall surrounding it?

What support do you think it will need, once isolated in an unchanging "hardware" environment, with the VM manager emulating legacy hardware and a Linux firewall surrounding it?
A couple of recent examples where the above most likely doesn't provide any projection:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39114101
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39732490

So once MS stop rolling out security updates for Win7/Win7 applications... Applications like Word may have support for longer (depending on version)...

Download the ISO from Microsoft and buy an activation key directly from Amazon [Prime]?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Windows-7/Windows-Professional-Activation-Key-Bit/B01FDOW0YG

These are scams. I have already reported one such to Amazon and they are taking action. They send a code that does not work. If you complain, they send another that does not work. etc.

Even an OEM activation code costs far more than this. Unfortunately, the window for a free upgrade to w10 is now closed.

That was the sort of 'deal' that I got which subsequently proved too good to be true. See my post#47
It would not have upgraded to W10 anyway with an invalid key.

Ah, "interesting" as Amazon are selling them directly (via "Prime") (Fulfilled by Amazon). Unclear what one can really do about it (the last time I reported similar nothing happened). Of course, I wasn't looking at this from the viewpoint of a cheap route to Windows 10. Thanks for the heads-up.

A couple of recent examples where the above most likely doesn't provide any projection:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39114101
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39732490

So once MS stop rolling out security updates for Win7/Win7 applications... Applications like Word may have support for longer (depending on version)...
The first of these won't be a problem, because anything I can do in Linux will be done in Linux.

The second is irrelevant because on the rare occasions I will use Word (I mostly use OpenOffice and therefore will be able to host that in Linux), I will absolutely never be opening a document from an unknown source, and if I do it will be with macro execution turned off.

The vast majority of threats to a PC are self-induced by being to casual about exposing it to the outside world (including not being too picky about what links you click).

Not tried this myself but found it with a google search so you might want to check that media streaming is turned on as below.

First of all, you need to open the “Control Panel” and search for “media.” Do this by right-clicking on the Windows 10 start button, and then click on search. You can also fire up Cortana and search for Control Panel, then when you’re in the Control Panel, search for media.

You should now see Network and Sharing Center at the top. Below it, click on the option that says, “Media streaming options.” After that, click “Turn on media streaming” to permit the media streaming server. From here you can customize the streaming service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My guess is "VLC on Windows 10 can't see DLNA server on Humax" - must have posted on wrong thread.

I have thought of a fly in the ointment that might stop me migrating to Linux (as opposed to running a Windows VM under Linux or Windows applications in Linux with WINE): font support.

Windows only really became "useful" at version 3.1, with the introduction of TrueType font management. My recollection of early examinations of Linux was lousy font support - any size one wanted to use (let alone typeface) had to be specifically generated ahead of time. I assume things are better now!

The problem is that I will have to transfer every font that is used in any of my work along with the work to Linux, if I am going to continue that work under Linux. Since it will be a pain identifying what fonts I need, I will therefore want to copy all my .ttfs over to the Linux font manager.

Any reason I can't do that (ignoring copyright of course!)?

Back