Windows Print-to-File

Makes sense - it supports LLMNR and your first screenshot shows that's enabled. That will most likely be how your client is resolving the printer's name to IP address.
More initialisms/acronyms I can look up - it all helps!

(and it has to be rebooted from time to time)
Bloody thing. It died while I was away last week, shutting off my RS (and other things that communicate with me while I'm miles away), so one of the first things I did when I got back was reboot it. Seemed to be OK, except my iPad would only work on 2.4GHz and my phone kept asking to be signed in, and a WR702N that provides a WiFi link to something else... didn't.

The only way to make progress with the phone (Samsung A3) was to try deleting the connection and reinstate it, and it claimed to be connected, but there was no data traffic. I tried rebooting the phone, no change.

Finally, in frustration, I've rebooted the BT Home Hub again, and what do you know... all back to normal.

Last edited:
My son has all kinds of WiFi and internet connectivity on his HH requiring rebooting it. Not that that is a lot of help to you. But just to let you know you are not alone. My Netgear router (EE VDSL) has not missed a beat either in WiFi or Internet connectivity since I went over to Fibre.

Sh*t. "lpr -S EPSON78163A -P raw PrinterTest.prn" just worked. After all that grief! I feel sure I tried it before, but maybe I didn't :oops: or maybe it works sometimes and not others (time will tell). Given that I have been searching for a symbolic method to address the printer, don't you think that's exactly what I would have tried first time I tried out the lpr command? It's gone from my short-term memory.
It wasn't clear from the manual, and I have zero experience of routers - but I thought there must be some symbolic method (like the internet DNS link between 89.248.55.84 and hummy.tv). Looking at an HP printer manual, they explicitly show the symbolic web address of the printer. Epson don't make it obvious.
Thanks for tolerating me!
It took some restraint and heavy censorship of my replies.:p

After a year with BT on FTTC and their 'most powerful wifi' I changed to Zen (FTTC) a few months ago and got a Fritz!Box router (3490) to go with it.
The wifi is better than BT! The aesthetics are, um, an acquired taste I'd say.

I thought that WiFi RF output was limited by law, so how can BT's WiFi be more powerful than every one else's? Surely everyone uses the maximum power allowed?

I thought that WiFi RF output was limited by law, so how can BT's WiFi be more powerful than every one else's? Surely everyone uses the maximum power allowed?
Think vw and emissions. Seriously, though, it's all to do with using several frequencies all at once, blanket coverage of 1--13, annoying the neighbours by polluting 2.4GHz with your signals. I prefer 5GHz if close to the router, its coverage is limited, it is very fast, and the waveband is unpolluted, unlike 2.4GHz.

I had my fill of BT and switched to plusnet and saved a load of money. Even though BT bought them out a few years ago.

* Footnote:
The router was rebooted because it hung, and I have not yet found a way to fix the IP address in the printer settings - and it's a BT Hub 4 so there's not a lot of configuration options there either (maximum lease time 21 days, and that's no help against reboots anyway). I want to look into putting my own router on the BT line... is it possible?

Of course, but I feel sure that even the hh4 had a way of always assigning the same IP address to a client, under advanced options. Assign an address in the dhcp pool and it will never be used for anything else. Promise! The IP address will be locked to that mac address.

I have an Epson M2000 and under Network Settings, tcp/ip, there is an option to set the IP address manually rather than auto. Set the router as the default gateway. If you set it outside the dhcp pool, no problem, but if you set it within then you need to do the step above too. If you are also asked for dns servers, set to the router IP address.

Finally, when I was with bt, there was an option to disable sharing your WiFi. You just opted out of the BT shared WiFi thingy. It took a few hours to stick but I turned it off. Of course, the downside is that you then can't use anybody else's shared WiFi either, but I had trouble getting any of them to work, even in the city centre.

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon

Finally finally, if you want to stay with BT and your contract is expiring, ring and ask for the MAC code you need to move elsewhere. They will almost certainly offer a new hub if you stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finally, if you want to stay with BT and your contract is expiring, ring and ask for the MAC code you need to move elsewhere. They will almost certainly offer a new hub if you stay.
I've only been with them since September - don't I already have a new hub?

Yes, I'm aware I could switch off BTWifi-with-FON, and I have no desire to use it out and about (that's what my phone hotspot is for), but something else this router doesn't do is offer a guest network! And it's locked down. I just think I will be better off with a router that's mine, rather than borrowed from BT.

And the reason I've with BT? Now they have a mobile offering again (after having off their original mobile to O2, which then got bought out...), at last I can get all my telecoms on the same bill and with the combined usage discounts.

Yes, but your aerial design, etc, can make a huge difference.

Finally finally, if you want to stay with BT and your contract is expiring, ring and ask for the MAC code you need to move elsewhere.
No MAC codes any more (except maybe if you are moving between landline/cable) since June 2015. It's now a 'gaining provider led process'. You don't need to contact BT - you just tell whoever you are going to you want to move and they handle it all. In this process BT made no effort to change my mind at all (maybe ofcom don't allow it), so if you want to try for an improved offer you'll have to call and blag it.

And it's locked down. I just think I will be better off with a router that's mine, rather than borrowed from BT.

And the reason I've with BT? Now they have a mobile offering again (after having off their original mobile to O2, which then got bought out...), at last I can get all my telecoms on the same bill and with the combined usage discounts.

I thought you had the homehub 4, sorry. Mea culpa. Yes, get a hub! Do you have fibre vdsl, or adsl? Some routers do both these days.

Plusnet now also do a mobile offering, heavily discounted if you have their broadband, 4Gb a month for about £10. Even their 2Gb deal was £7.50 as opposed to the £11 I pay Tesco every month. Mrs Mike pays O2 around £13 a month for half a gig, yet Tesco uses the same network. Plus uses EE.

I do have a Home Hub 4 - I don't understand your point. Do Plusnet have a landline capability?

But I don't think you clarified whether you are on BT ADSL or Infinity.

By the way, I do not have a BTWifi-with-Fon environment defined on my router (never have and have been with BT for 15 years). It still doesn't stop me from using their hotspots when I'm out and about.

If you are on ADSL and need more info on how I have configured my ADSL connection, let me know.

EDIT: Given that you only switched to BT a few months ago and have a Hub4, I suspect ADSL. I believe they give Hub5 (or later) with Infinity.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do have a Home Hub 4 - I don't understand your point. Do Plusnet have a landline capability?
Yes, broadband, land line, mobile. The home hub 4 is quite old. The home hub 5 maybe is only needed for vdsl. It makes that extra Openreach box redundant.

However, even if you buy your own hub, you may save the cost by switching.

Adsl or vdsl configuration are trivial. Routers walk you through it and anyway the few parameters you need are easily found by googling

plusnet own router configuration

or similar.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Sky is different, they insist on their own router, but since they took over o2 and didn't want to leave customers high and dry, they left a back door open!

Post 42 of

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archive...-router-for-sky-broadband/td-p/1488177/page/3

Last edited by a moderator:
Sky is different, they insist on their own router
That's good enough reason to steer well clear of them. I run my router, not some damned ISP megalomaniac's. Wonder if they're vulnerable to TR-069 exploits. Arf, arf.

Last edited:
Pretty please: I have had an idea for a potentially generally useful utility for managing multiple executions of a command script. It would be a small Windows executable but I don't have the skills to knock something like that up in non-exponential time. I can write a specification though:

Concept
The utility pops up a window with fields in which the user can configure the required process per pass, and to control the repeat execution of the process. I envisage this being in two tabs - one for defining the process and the other for controlling the execution. As a working title let's call it "BatchRun".

The process tab offers a number of text fields to enter strings that are assigned to replaceable parameters in a larger edit box which sets up the process itself, using shell commands the same as you would to create a bat file. Running the process sends the commands in the edit window to the Windows shell, and having separate fields for parameters makes them easier to tweak than having to edit the process window.

The execution control tab has counters. The cumulative total counter increments each time the process is executed, and has a button to reset the count to zero. A batch size field pre-loads the batch counter, which decrements per execution until it reaches zero, and execution stops. Four buttons "run once", "run batch", "stop at end", and "abort" trigger (or kill) execution. An output box presents the standard and error streams from the process.

So, for example, my newsletter print process could define the process as:

Code:
%1 = newsletter.prn
%2 = C:\docs\test\
%3 = EPSON78163A

lpr -S %3 -P raw %2%1

...and then on my execution control tab I would set the batch size to 20, trigger off a batch and then go and do something else until it came to the end of that batch when I have to reload the printer, and finish when the cumulative counter reaches 120. Even better if the utility can sound a beep when the batch counter reaches zero.

To make the utility more universally useful, there could also be ways to use the counter values as parameters in the process script. My example has a single line script, but I wouldn't expect it to be limited to one line. There's also no reason other .bat files couldn't be called up.

Then we want some way to save the configuration and call it up again another time. This could be done by writing out a file and being able to read it in (and having the config file associated with the utility would mean the config file could be opened directly), or maybe by storing the config within the actual executable and re-writing that (save under different names to create a variety of BatchRun configurations).

Any volunteers?

Back