Words we cannot abide.

I was going to elaborate on my last but decided against to not raise the ire of the woke.
But there are occasionally people who go far beyond just their job.

And, more to the point, what WE pay them for. Just do your job of protecting life and property or resign. If you can't stand the 'heat' get out of the 'Pot'.

I'm not sure I can't abide it, but a phrase (mainly in American content) seems to be gaining traction: "Wait. What?"
Or is it just me noticing it in my dotage?

So why does every sentence start with so now. Pisses me off. Who do they think they are Graham Norton?

Been there, done that: AvP. "So" at the start is a delaying device which makes them appear responsive without necessarily being. "So..." at the end means "I can't be bothered to fill in the rest, work it out for yourself".

I thought that 'er' was the generally accepted 'delaying device'. The stupid 'so' leads you to believe that the rest of the sentence depends on something that you are about to clarify.
I also 100% appreciate that it has already been don to death, but the latest question is "Words we cannot abide" and starting pretty much every sentence with 'So' falls well into that category for me.

I thought that 'er' was the generally accepted 'delaying device'.
Generally accepted? Generally used maybe, but "so" is now fashionable (perhaps people are being trained away from "er"?).
The stupid 'so' leads you to believe that the rest of the sentence depends on something that you are about to clarify.
I think it sounds pretentious unless used appropriately. It's like "you've asked a question any fool knows the answer to and here's what you could have worked out for yourself".

I deal with a lot of people from California (or who live there now) and on chat systems almost all of their sentences start with "So". It's slightly less annoying when written than when said.

That doesn't strike me as too bad, if it is a genuine continuation from something. I'm thinking more of when "so" is fresh off the blocks.

Back