Words we cannot abide.

I'm really starting to miss the g from '-ing' as increasingly people forget that it is there. It's all streamin', hurtin', buildin'...
That's been going on for a long time. I've seen a 1950 British film where an actor says carryin'.

Ah yes, but I wasn't thinking of that context. I'll get my head into gear and think again. :confused:

Looking at the full OED the earliest date it quotes is 1381, but it has no quotes from 2019. The OED's most recent quote is as old as 2018.
Does the OED practise a rolling programme of checking entries for words. Could be the G section was last checked that year.

Covid-19 related words I'm getting fed up with -
R number. Argh! R is a letter not a number. Do "they" mean R value, or R rate. Even the government document explaining R adds to the confusion.
If I hear the word "droplet" again it will be too soon. And as for aerosol, I can't help thinking of the Not The Nine O'Clock News Swedish chemist sketch.

You may just as well dispute that it is wrong to say maximum number or a comfortable number.

Mathematically, R is a dimensionless quantity so it can't (accurately) be called a rate (which would have some element of inverse time). R represents a numerical value, so "R number" isn't far from accurate, and it identifies "R" as something special to the listener who might not otherwise realise what just "R" thrown into a sentence meant.

So far as I know, R means Reproduction (although I guess it could be Reinfection).

Not The Nine O'Clock News Swedish chemist sketch.
:rolling:

Isn't English a wonderful language? I see the word ratio and "hear" rat - eye - oh. Probably because of that word patio. :D (or maybe being involved with computers etc and thinking of input/output)

Also getting fed up with:
The new normal - assume everyone has the virus, wear face coverings, avoid public transport, prices up, taxes up, shopping choices down, quality down and be made redundant.
Deep clean - wipe over with mucky rag and say that it is virus free.

Back