Words we cannot abide.

Probably the marketing department still think it's a box[ed] set of DVDs.
Radio Times actually did a short article about this term a while back (maybe a year). It's basically just a leftover shorthand for what was, and often still is, a set in a box.
(We've recently bought the Hobbit and LotR set on Blu-ray in a box.)

People still talk about taping stuff and no-one (except BH I imagine) goes postal over it.

Binge set doesn't work any better really - unless you watch the whole lot back-to-back.
It should just be set our collection, but that's a bit dull.

I have a contact who refers to "filming" with her iPad.
It used to annoy me when people referred to TV programmes (such as HIGNFY) being filmed. They were, and possibly still are, videotaped. (I doubt that, they are probably recorded on a HDD or similar - too lazy to do the research just now :D ). Filming is, as it says, using film. I've become more relaxed on the subject and accept filming to mean video recording of any sort. I may still use the term taping to mean recording on the Humax. The language has moved on, and grudgingly so have I.

Anyone who objects to box set or boxset should also object to folder for a collection of computer files rather than directory.

I do! The concept of "folders" came along with GUI OSes trying to ape real office furniture (desktop etc) - that might work when the GUI representation is a graphic of a folder, but it doesn't work so well at the command prompt. Let's face it: the DOS command is "dir" and "mkdir" not "folder" and "mkfolder".

Unfortunately, it's the great unwashed who influence what things get called in common parlance.

You mean like calling programs apps? (misspelling of programmes is deliberate as I believe that it's the accepted way now)
But let's face it, who uses DOS any more? :frantic:

But let's face it, who uses DOS any more? :frantic:
I am using it right now! At least I am running get_iplayer through its Windows interface to the DOS screen running the commands to download the ODI World Cup replay from yesterday so I can listen to it tomorrow on my PMP while waiting for my car to be serviced tomorrow. :)

(rather than streaming it on my phone which will gobble up my mobile data allowance)

But let's face it, who uses DOS any more?
:mad: I do! But then I'm using an older version of Windows.
I often need a DOS shell for some of the batched conversion of radio programmes from .ts to .mp2 using ffmpeg. Not forgetting the odd get_iplayer download as gomezz pointed out.
The concept of "folders" came along with GUI OSes trying to ape real office furniture
Does seem odd that the DOS shell uses directories but the Windows it came from uses folders :frantic::confused:.

I use txMuxer for processing .ts radio recordings as it extracts the audio track rather than converting it so is much quicker. Depends if your device can play the native extracted format of course - my phone can't but my Rockbox'd PMP can. :)

I am using it right now!
No, you're not!
Does seem odd that the DOS shell uses directories
It's not a DOS shell. It's a Windows command prompt shell.
Somebody will be along shortly to complain the Windows command prompt is not DOS...
Well it isn't...
Any more than an OS/2 command prompt is DOS (apart from the DOS emulation support, which is a different thing altogether), or any flavour of Linux etc. operating systems' command prompts are DOS.

It's not a DOS shell. It's a Windows command prompt shell.
If it looks like DOS, smells like DOS and runs DOS commands....
There are two shells in the Windows I use. One runs by typing "command", and the other "cmd".
Command: Microsoft(R) Windows DOS (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.
However, I'll let you have that one as it is usually the "cmd" shell that opens - and that doesn't mention DOS.

I use txMuxer for processing .ts radio recordings as it extracts the audio track rather than converting it so is much quicker. Depends if your device can play the native extracted format of course - my phone can't but my Rockbox'd PMP can. :)
ffmpeg" -i "input.ts" -acodec copy -vn "output.mp2"
Doesn't convert the file just extracts the track and repackages it. (I shouldn't have said convert in the original post!)

Back