Words we cannot abide.

Yes but in that case it's the 'materials' and the 'objects' that are the nouns, and the 'learning' thus becomes an adjective so the 'learning' is still not a noun.
Just thought it might be (very) lazy shorthand.

Getting a bit fed up with "Social distancing" - the overuse of the words rather than the concept.
PPE - ditto.
What's social about it anyway? I have heard it referred to as safe distancing, which makes much more sense.

Isn't this drifting into an extension of AvP?

Clap for our carers The mere mention of that phrase makes me cringe, I refuse to be guilted into bowing down to such social media driven B/S that just gives so called celebs another avenue to get their smug faces in the press. I have donated some cash and even donated my stockpile of masks acquired due to my job to the local hospital but I refuse to stand on my doorstep banging a saucepan lid with my neighbours who all seem to think they are holier than me by doing so even though most seem to have ignored every lockdown rule since it began.

There are indications tomorrow should be the last, but whether people take any notice is another matter. Once was fine. What was that couple of minutes silence all about a few weeks ago - a bit soon to conduct a remembrance for the victims, wait until it's all over.

A silence on 11/11 is another PC thing: the remembrance is conducted on the Sunday, that's when I observe it and I won't be brow-beaten into interrupting my day when the 11th isn't on the Sunday.

That is a bit like the commie May Day holiday which the UK Labour government introduced in 1978 (I think that they did that just before introducing everyone to the winter of discontent). But on May day (as per the commies)? Good grief no, Not on May Day (other than by coincidence), but the Monday after. :frantic:

where/were
"store" rather then "shop"
instore
revert back

Buzzword bingo anybody?

Where/were is just a lack of education in the English language.
We are probably drifting quickly towards the use of apostrophes here if we are not careful.

commie May Day holiday
I thought the commie conspirator didn't know what the Hummy Arms was, where it is and had never used it. :D
Not on May Day (other than by coincidence), but the Monday after.
Wasn't it on Friday (8th) this year?
I refuse to stand on my doorstep banging a saucepan lid with my neighbours who all seem to think they are holier than me by doing so even though most seem to have ignored every lockdown rule since it began.
Exactly the same here. The neighbours with "support the NHS" signs, rainbows and the clapping have broken more lockdown rules than a certain Downing Street worker.

And when it was first suggested, industry bleated on about it costing them an arm and a leg.

A silence on 11/11 is another PC thing: the remembrance is conducted on the Sunday, that's when I observe it and I won't be brow-beaten into interrupting my day when the 11th isn't on the Sunday.
Not really the Armistice Day observance predates the Remembrance Sunday observance and I will continue to observe both.

A silence on 11/11 is NOT a PC thing. It is remembering the end of the First World War and the 880,000 plus of our military personnel that were KIA during the 4 years of fighting. Remembrance Sunday, introduced in 1931, is now taken to remember WW1 and WW2 military personnel killed in those wars and in a number of wars since then.
Including a Sunday remembrance is the PC aspect of this, but Remembrance Sunday was invented long before PC was invented, so we can't really blame that.

Don't care. The experience in my lifetime is that it was always on the Sunday (because it's a lot more convenient for shutting Whitehall, and silencing factories), and 11th has been introduced (or reintroduced after a generation gap) as a form of mass hysteria in much the same vein as the Thursday Night Clap for Carers.

Last week we had drinks and a natter in the close, this week the same. Next week we'll have our party without the clapping (maybe as long as the weather and daylight hold).

As said you have got the two days the wrong way round and even then it only works if PC stands for Practical Convenience.

Back