[youtube-dl] Download files from youtube.com or other video platforms

Pleasant to discover the STV download has no adverts!
Pleasant to discover proper 1920x1080 video. That's better than I've ever got out of iPlayer (1280x720).
I'll have to compare the off-air vs. the download when I get back to the TV.

Pleasant to discover the STV download has no adverts!
I get the impression the adverts get inserted on the fly if you don't pay for the data stream. I believe youtube operates the same way, so when you work out how to download the core data stream it comes without adverts.

Thanks for the offer, but wasn't I clear enough? It's done (and watched, and deleted). The download was also proving for /df's latest tweaks.

Is there a way to speed up the downloading of programmes from for example BBC iPlayer, than it currently takes to do?.
What speed are you getting? The HDR-FOX's Ethernet interface is only 10Mb/s, and it's USB transfers run at about 4MB/s, so I wouldn't expect it to be physically capable of much more even by WiFi. I'm personally limited to 3Mb/s simply due to my broadband.

I am not certain of the actual download speed as such my box is using ethernet connection, although it has a wi-fi dongle attached at the same time, my broadband speed is >100Mb/s.
How do I check the download speed please?.
The download can sometime 'time out'

So what have I misunderstood in post 643? You're being too cryptic for me.

It's 100. Anything that's 10 is either out of the ark or complete crap. PCs which are listening for WoL frames usually slow to 10 though.
It is? Well, regardless, the HDR-FOX doesn't go that fast.

How do I check the download speed please?.
:lol: See how big the download is and how long it takes! WebIF >> Queue Video Download >> View qtube.log will provide the data (and regardless of the title, I use it to download audio too).

So what have I misunderstood in post 643?
I'm not sure. I meant there haven't been any commits to the ytdl-org github repository since 6-12-23.
The hpkg.tv beta package repository was updated with our build of the youtube-dl package based on this, which is why it's version 2023.12.07 (after the nightly build that /df referred to).
Code:
humax ~ # opkg list youtube-dl
youtube-dl - 2023.10.04 - Download videos from youtube.com or other video platforms
youtube-dl - 2023.12.07 - Download videos from youtube.com or other video platforms
The first of these is the normal repository. The second is the beta repository (assuming you have installed the opkg-beta package.
It is.
Well, regardless, the HDR-FOX doesn't go that fast.
I've had about 80+ Mb/s out of mine, which isn't too bad. Anything CPU-bound rather than IO-bound is likely to be lower though, as we usually observe.

The first of these is the normal repository. The second is the beta repository (assuming you have installed the opkg-beta package.
This is like pulling teeth.

On 2024.01.05 you said
I've packaged these mods. - available now in the Beta repository.
..."these mods" meaning the STV stuff.

So I look in the beta and I see a version dated 2023.12.07.

Are you saying 2023.12.07 includes the STV mods, despite having only added them on 2024.01.05??? :confused:

I believe I said that last time.
Only obscurely, leaving it for the reader to read between the lines, and with no acknowledgement of the problem I have with it.

Why leave the version number as outdated? What I'm saying is that you made a tweak and said it was in the repository on 2024.01.05, and when I went looking what was actually there appeared to bear no relation. How was I supposed to know that something dated 2023.12.07 actually contained stuff from 2024.01.05? This seems to be poor versioning policy. If you packaged something on 2024.01.05, surely the package version should be 2024.01.05.

Am I being unreasonable?

The upstream version is being shown, and will be shown when the program displays its version number. The local patches don't affect the functionality baseline, but just adapt the program to the CF environment. Maybe the non-beta package version could have a qualifier to show changes.

If iPlayer downloads are timing out, there must be some network issue. Selecting a lower resolution format might be a work-around, though.

The upstream version is being shown, and will be shown when the program displays its version number. The local patches don't affect the functionality baseline, but just adapt the program to the CF environment. Maybe the non-beta package version could have a qualifier to show changes.
I'm talking about the versioning in the WebIF package manager. Local tweaks obviously make our package different from the raw youtube-dl package, and even if tweaks made on 2024.01.05 don't change the youtube-dl version, if another tweak were made to our package it would certainly be necessary to update the version number.

I admit things are clearer now than when I originally posted. Initially I was seeing 2023.12.07 and thinking "where the hell is this update supposedly made available today". What I'm talking about now is the general policy of beta package versioning (or lack thereof), not my initial confusion. Surely it should be clearer?

I've packaged these mods. - available now in the Beta repository.
I reinstalled the beta youtube-dl but I am seeing errors accessing STV
Code:
18:00:22 - Starting immediate download of https://player.stv.tv/episode/4hah/vanishing-act Options --hls-prefer-ffmpeg
18:03:03 - [stv:player] 4hah: Downloading webpage
18:03:04 - [stv:player] 4hah: Downloading JSON metadata
18:03:07 - Caught error: WARNING: Unable to download webpage: <urlopen error [Errno 1] _ssl.c:499: error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure>
ERROR: Unable to download JSON metadata: <urlopen error [Errno 1] _ssl.c:499: error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure> (caused by URLError(SSLError(1, '_ssl.c:499: error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure'),))
I can see the fix appears to have been applied to the Python code - itv.py and adobepass.py but not common.py

Are there any other options I need to use to download from STV or is there a different URL for downloading than for watching online

I can see the fix appears to have been applied to the Python code - itv.py and adobepass.py but not common.py
I added
Python:
_InfoExtractor = InfoExtractor

from .fakehttp import FakeHTTP as InfoExtractor
to common.py

And now my download is proceeding so it appears to be a required update

And now my download is proceeding so it appears to be a required update
Packaging error. I'd done it right on my manual update test for all three files, but then forgot to update the build script completely.
Beta package updated. If you could test and confirm...

Back