[CFW 3.00] Customised Firmware version 3.00 released.

I've not had that error in the 3/4 years of owning this box.

You can't prove the absence of a bug with a case that works. You can only prove the presence of a bug with a case that doesn't work.

Here is a case that doesn't work:

Any Hummy-->HDMI-->AV Amp-->HDMI-->TV

I have experienced it with both a Yamaha and an Onkyo amp. There lie two examples exhibiting a bug somewhere, either with the Hummies or with the HDMI protocol. I have never experienced the same problem with any other HDMI source feeding the amp. The finger seems to point at Humax.

How about removing one package at a time to see if there is a problem. I don't use custom portal or rs package . I have WiFi connection and so far, touch wood, no crashes. Could it be either of these packages?

Are some former custom packages now part of the core webif?

Anyway, I can't test any more, because I did what I indicated above and it cleared the problem of constant rebooting.

You can't prove the absence of a bug with a case that works. You can only prove the presence of a bug with a case that doesn't work.

Here is a case that doesn't work:

Any Hummy-->HDMI-->AV Amp-->HDMI-->TV

I have experienced it with both a Yamaha and an Onkyo amp. There lie two examples exhibiting a bug somewhere, either with the Hummies or with the HDMI protocol. I have never experienced the same problem with any other HDMI source feeding the amp. The finger seems to point at Humax.

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
I am talking about a bug in this firmware that is causing a "mode not supported" message on my tv screen and a lockup of the box. I am not connected via an AV Amp and have never indicated I have been.

I have been using the box for about 3/4 years and have never had this error before on any firmware which would indicate either a bug in this firmware or my box is breaking down.

I realise this this is now off topic, but my previous posts are here, when I thought my issue was cf related, so I will continue in this thread.

No the house is quiet, I can hear the HDD clicking as I try to open media ( usually from ch 200 to stop unnecessary TSR).

"Finding" the HDD and cf is hit or miss. I am currently copying the files off so that I can format the HDD as this was what Humax suggested to someone with a clicking drive as reported on another forum. I am not sure that I hold out much hope.

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
I am talking about a bug in this firmware that is causing a "mode not supported" message on my tv screen and a lockup of the box. I am not connected via an AV Amp and have never indicated I have been.

I have been using the box for about 3/4 years and have never had this error before on any firmware which would indicate either a bug in this firmware or my box is breaking down.

The "mode not supported" bug is a Humax HDMI bug. The fact that you never experienced it is neither here nor there. It doesn't prove the non-existence of the bug, just that your setup does not manifest the bug.

The lockup? No idea. I only experienced the constant rebooting bug on the T2 with custom f/w 3.0, and I explained how I cured that. I didn't make that up! I passed a dump on to af123 but meanwhile cured it on my system.

I have had occasional lockups on other boxes, though, notably an old 9200 and recent Youview boxes.

Clicking drive? Sounds terminal.

Probably. I have a spare 1tb "as fitted" drive I picked up from Ebuyer before they were discontinued. Hoping to get more than 27 months out of the original though.

It only clicks while looking for the drive, so I did wonder if it is a power issue.

Other than a couple of failed recordings where the drive could not be found, I have seen no deterioration of picture quality and only 11 reallocated sectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably. I have a spare 1tb "as fitted" drive I picked up from Ebuyer before they were discontinued. Hoping to get more than 27 months out of the original though.
I replaced one of my 500 GB HDD's in November 2012, after about 26 months of use. The replacement HDD has now been in use for almost 20 months, so will see if anything happens to this one. The good news is that the original Rocket batteries are still going strong in the remote control, after 46 months.

Anyway, I can't test any more, because I did what I indicated above and it cleared the problem of constant rebooting.
Hi Mike0001

Glad to hear it cleared.

Regarding the constant rebooting problem you had... I noticed something similar previously with (FOXY) edit I mean Foxlink installed (over a WiFi network). I have two boxes linked over WiFi and foxy caused similar crashes.
One box would lock up after the other powered off/went into standby.

The first versions of CW 3.0 mentions crashes that were specific to connecting to WiFi networks. This also sounds similar to crashes with connecting to TWONKY servers. Could the crashes be a networking problem? I wondered if a custom package that previously worked o.k. on c.f.2.20 was causing problems on cf 3.0.

Hi Border, I reckon that must be true: I had some conflicting package installed when I upgraded. I had a direct LAN connection.

No, the crashes in the early versions of CF3.00 when used with a WiFi dongle were because the WiFi driver had not been accommodated properly in the custom version of the kernel. Simple as that. Custom firmware prior to 3.00 has not replaced the kernel, hence the teething troubles.

Mike's problem appears to have been confined to him, so it was probably just a hiccup somewhere and we will never know. There is no reason to suspect it was caused by any particular version of a package.

The "mode not supported" bug is a Humax HDMI bug. The fact that you never experienced it is neither here nor there. It doesn't prove the non-existence of the bug, just that your setup does not manifest the bug.

So the fact that the only thing that has changed on my box in the past few days is the firmware has nothing to do with it? Come on. Common sense.

I'm not explicitly saying that it is the new firmware, but it's highly likely in my eyes as that is the only element that has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correlation does not prove causation. First you have to show how it could have had an effect, otherwise it is just coincidence. The idea that the CF could have had anything to do with the HDMI interface goes against everything we thought we knew, so extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Correlation does not prove causation. First you have to show how it could have had an effect, otherwise it is just coincidence. The idea that the CF could have had anything to do with the HDMI interface goes against everything we thought we knew, so extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
I don't think ChrisDaniels in post #135 was alluding to HMDI problems as a cause. My reading is that he is saying something in CF3.0 compared with 2.20 (or later) is broken and he has not changed any HMDI settings.

CF 3.0 has new networking checks on bootstrap (see post 1).
Full release notes:
3.00 (01.07.2014)

Check network connectivity to the package repository during bootstrap and display a more useful error message (thanks to Raydon);
New custom OS kernel with support for:
Basic IP filtering (iptables).
Maybe these are the only significant changes in recent days.

I give up. Its like trying to report a bug to Apple.
This forum is becoming a joke.

Have you tried the procedure I outlined above? Clearly something went wrong in my upgrade, so chances are the same happened to yours. There is definitely something wrong with the upgrade on some boxes.

post #105. It's worth trying. The first step is done on the diagnostics page.

Back