[CFW 3.00] Customised Firmware version 3.00 released.

That's why I suggested an almost clean install. I don't know why Chris doesn't try it. There is nothing to lose.

Hi all

To give some balance, I updated both my boxes from 1.03.11/2.22 to CFW 3.0 yesterday without any problems.

I was going to just update one for now but as it went so smoothly I updated both.

Just remember the update will appear to 'hang' around 91% but will then continue on fine to completion.

hummybee, thanks for the info, but it is cases that do not go to plan that are the problem. Like mine and Chris Daniels'.

Just my two cents. Could it be the case that CF has become now of such amplitude that fixing one problem creates another problem somewhere else? With all the various packages that people have installed on their machines? Would it be possible to quickly post here the CF info plus various packages in the same format so analysis performed on differences might point out to where bugs may lie?
I have not updated to CF 3 for now.

My box just crashed when I enabled content sharing. (Switched off when I did a system reset earlier.)

Edit: Rebooting again. So, it was fine until I enabled content sharing. What is going on here? I also removed MediaTomb just before enabling it as an experiment.

It crashed 5 times before I put it back to stock firmware.

I then enabled content sharing and it immediately rebooted.

I also noticed that BBC1 was Channel 8, even after a full scan and factory reset, with the custom f/w. With the stock f/w and a scan, it is back to 1.

Apart from a system reset and HD format, I can't see any way to cure this.

Before I give up on my HDD, I carried out an RMA and formatted the drive using the Humax tool. It obviously did the equivalent of Windows quick format.

Is there a way of deep reformatting the disk?

Am I correct in my understanding that if I change the drive for an identical 1tb drive, the Humax will create the 3 partitions and all I need do is connect up the raw drive and follow any onscreen instructions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It crashed 5 times before I put it back to stock firmware.

I then enabled content sharing and it immediately rebooted.
Did you try with the network disconnected?

I also noticed that BBC1 was Channel 8, even after a full scan and factory reset, with the custom f/w. With the stock f/w and a scan, it is back to 1.
That is weird.

Apart from a system reset and HD format, I can't see any way to cure this.
Dunno about the tuning scan, but regarding the crashes:

IF (a) it doesn't crash with content sharing off, and (b) it crashes with the network disconnected but content sharing on, use WebIF diagnostics to reset DLNA database.

Before carrying out an RMA, I screen printed my installed packages so that I could reload them.
I found that many of them seemed to have no relevance, and I have no recollection of installing them. I wonder if they were relics of previous versions of webif. Could redundant packages be causing the issues some other posters are having?

On a different matter, does anyone know how much power the cooling fan uses? I ask because, although it is early days, my drive has not clicked since turning off the fan package. I was wondering if the fan kicking in at startup is just too much drain on a potentially failing PSU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you try with the network disconnected?

Dunno about the tuning scan, but regarding the crashes:

IF (a) it doesn't crash with content sharing off, and (b) it crashes with the network disconnected but content sharing on, use WebIF diagnostics to reset DLNA database.

1> No, I haven't got the custom firmware on it any more and it still crashed.
2> Had there used to be a channel renumbering extension?
3> How can I use WebIf when it now crashes with the stock firmware? Maybe I will put the custom f/w on again, but then it crashes all the time. Does the DLNA database survive going back to stock firmware and doing a system reset? If it is the DLNA database that is corrupt, it's worth a try, as these crashes are pushing me towards abandoning this T2 completely! I suppose I could try backing up the drive with my Linux laptop, re-formatting it and restoring everything everything. I will also try (tomorrow) disconnecting the network and turning content sharing off and on again.

You're being oblique. I thought I had spelled it out well enough.

The DLNA database issue is not CF related. If you get crashes with content sharing turned on but no crashes when turned off, and crashes even with the network disconnected, the hypothesis is that you have a corrupted DLNA database. The only way to reset the database without CF is to format the HDD. With the CF installed, you can use the WebIF to reset the database without formatting the HDD.

Is that clear enough now?

Before carrying out an RMA, I screen printed my installed packages so that I could reload them.
I found that many of them seemed to have no relevance, and I have no recollection of installing them. I wonder if they were relics of previous versions of webif.
Some packages are required to support other installed packages, so for example when the web-if is installed it will make sure all these other packages are installed :-

Code:
Depends:
webif-channelicons (>= 1.1.12-1),
lighttpd (>= 1.4.35-2),
jim (>= 0.75-1),
jim-oo,
jim-sqlite3 (>= 0.75),
jim-cgi (>= 0.7),
jim-binary (>= 0.75),
service-control (>= 1.2),
busybox (>= 1.20.2-1),
lsof (>= 4.87),
epg (>= 1.0.13),
hmt (>= 1.1.21),
ssmtp,
anacron,
trm (>= 1.1),
openssl-command,
nicesplice,
id3v2,
file,
rsvsync (>= 1.0.2),
webif-charts (>= 1.2-1),
stripts (>= 1.2.5-3),
smartmontools,
tmenu (>= 1.08),
ffmpeg,
id3v2,
multienv (>= 1.6),
mongoose

Been away and there seems to be a lot going on in this thread! May not see everything that needs a reply.

You most likely have the custom firmware renumber package installed and for some reason it is configured to move BBC1 to channel 8. Obviously the package is dormant when you're on stock firmware.

As BH has said, it does look like your DLNA database is corrupt - it happens from time to time and isn't related to the custom firmware. A factory reset doesn't clear it, you need to either format the disk (non-custom solution) or reset it through the CFW web interface.

I've had a couple of people send me crash dumps. I can't do anything with them as they need to be analysed on the box they came from. I'm also not sure exactly how useful they will prove to be, but there is a diagnostic crashdiag which attempts to retrieve information from them. My box crashed earlier when I was looking at Youtube and the crashdiag from my box does show that the problem occured within Opera so it could help determine the causes of crashes. However, it's pretty well known that crashes can be caused by other devices on the network, corruption in the DLNA database, bad (corrupt) recording on the disk or disk problems. Most that aren't related to other devices can be cured by a CFW disk check and DLNA database reset.

Webif installed all the dependent packages. These were packages such as libapr & librutil, which I felt confident enough to no reinstall, plus some suspects I reinstalled just incase. I can't identify these now.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Webif installed all the dependent packages. These were packages such as libapr & librutil, which I felt confident enough to no reinstall,
Those were probably originally installed a dependencies for subversion.

In advanced mode you get to see all the nuts and bolts - plenty you won't recognise as having been explicitly installed. You can hide them by selecting basic mode.

When reinstalling packages from a list, install the ones you recognise and definitely want - the rest will be installed automatically if you need them.

Maybe it's time for the proven packages to be promoted from "beta"? Or even have three levels of filtering.

Back