[rs] Remote Scheduling Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that once the current list of Indian GP events fall off the end of the list, and 'Auto' starts to find the next lot in a week or so, it'll be all OK again.

My box successfully notified me this morning about just one event for the race weekend

Code:
BBC One HD [Sun, 13 Nov 2011 12:15:00 +0000]
  Formula 1: The Abu Dhabi Grand...
  ...Prix. Jake Humphrey introduces coverage of the Abu Dhabi
  Grand Prix, the penultimate race of the 2011 season and the
  only day-night race on the Formula 1 calendar. [HD] [S]
    === Matched email alert ===

I've been noticing some problems with the RS site and iOS 5 on the iPhone so I've made some changes this morning so that some of the javascript components are loaded straight from a content delivery network.

Hopefully you won't see any visible changes other than perhaps decreased loading time and that it should now work properly on an iPhone! Please let me know if you experience any problems.

I'm going to look at adding a mobile device optimised view for this site over the coming weeks but for now at least the core functionality is back.

1) Please could confirm if this rebooting behaviour is normal ?

I got the RS setup and working fine, but I have been leaving my HDR-Fox T2 switched on over night for "Transmission" downloads last few nights, but in the morning I can't access the HDR local Web page to check the file download status, because the HDR has switched itself to standby (red power button), if the RS is rebooting the HDR at the wake-up time shouldn't it leave the HDR in the previous state i.e. powered ON...

Recent Activity LOG
Time Message
09/11/2011 07:48:35 System booted.
09/11/2011 02:03:37 Updated disk contents.
08/11/2011 07:39:59 System booted.
08/11/2011 02:03:32 Updated disk contents.

Scheduled events on Humax
--- Auto Update --- Thu 10 Nov 2011 04:30 00:00:00
1 BBC ONE --- Wake-up --- Thu 10 Nov 2011 06:00 00:00:00
--- Sleep --- Thu 10 Nov 2011 06:15 00:00:00

Additional Commands (not sure if this is the default and has not been set, I did set it to 06:15...)
Add Wake-up/Sleep period - Wake at: 10:00 Sleep at: 10:15

2) I noticed since last week I'm getting adverts appearing on my RS page from "DIRECTV.com", on the Home page below the Pay pal button, and also on the bottom of this forum page, is this also normal ?

Regards,
Chris.

I think this behaviour is normal.

I have a wake/sleep timer set for 14:00 - 14:00 daily. Now, if I leave my Hummy ON in the morning, when I come home after work, say 17:00, the Hummy has switched OFF (standby). The sleep timer (14:30), did it's stuff and powered down the unit.

Yes, there is an advert now. When you agreed to the T&C when you signed up, you accepted that there might be adverts on the site to aid funding.

HTH

Thanks for confirmed the behaviour, the RS works very well.

Could I change the sleep timer time, to just before I get home so the Hummy has been on all day, would I do this by changing the : Wake-up/Sleep period - Wake at: 06:00 Sleep at: 16:45 ?

Is this a good idea or will I risk missing a Scheduled event update, or should I leave it to Wake at: 06:00 Sleep at: 06:15, and manually power it up at 07:00 when I get up in the morning, to leave it in all day and all night ?
(Only want it to stay ON for a few days, and then move back to normal Scheduled event updating, does the Updated disk contents at 02:00 also turn it OFF...)

I don't mind the ads if it helps fund the site, just wanted to make sure the site was safe.

Cheers.

The Hummy checks for OTA updates at 04:30 every day. IIRC, users have tried to manually delete this 'timer' but the unit has automagically recreated it. Leaving the box on 24/7 is something I have never done. I am not sure if the 04:30 update check will power off the unit each day anyway. I suggest you try it yourself. No harm to be done.

In fact, although I don't think it will affect you for just a couple of days away, the box needs a full wake/sleep cycle to populate the EPG. If it doesn't cycle then the EPG data will run out after 7 days. This will affect series linked recordings which will fail.

Thanks Wallace, I will have a play later, but I don't want to witness the 04:30am power off in person, as I need my sleep zzzzzzz.

I used to get the "04:29:57 Processing command 'schedule '" in the log, but not anymore even though its still listed in the "Scheduled events on Humax" list, I only get the "02:03:37 Updated disk contents".

Maybe I have broken it, after I changed the Wake-up/Sleep period to 06:00, due to my BT Hub3 wireless network normally been in power save mode from 1am to 6am, I assumed the --- Auto Update --- event at 04:30, doesn't need a Internet connection as its done over the air.

I have changed the Wakeup / Sleep period to 07:30 and 07:45, and this keeps the HDR booted all through the night, which is great.

Here a few things I have noticed :
A) If you manually boot the box from the remote, and quickly go into the "Media" area the box defaults to the "*edit" folder, the box restarts itself (not sure if it crashes, just get the 'start system' message), if you wait 60 seconds then its fine.

B) The http://hummypkg.org.uk web site "Hummy.tv Forum" link is broken, it takes you to http://www.hummy.tv/ instead of http://hummy.tv/forum/.

1) Could the new "auto-update" package, send you a notification e-mail of the package updates or does it add an event into the RS Recent Activity log, so you know what has been updated ?

In fact, although I don't think it will affect you for just a couple of days away, the box needs a full wake/sleep cycle to populate the EPG. If it doesn't cycle then the EPG data will run out after 7 days. This will affect series linked recordings which will fail.

Wallace: I have suspected for some time that the EPG is only updated after a transition from Standby to Wake, However I have seen comments on forums that suggest that the EPG will update while in constant 'Wake' mode, Has this been proved / Dis-proved?

Wallace: I have suspected for some time that the EPG is only updated after a transition from Standby to Wake, However I have seen comments on forums that suggest that the EPG will update while in constant 'Wake' mode, Has this been proved?
It must do mustn't it? I left mine on all the time for at least a fortnight while we were beta testing the remote scheduling service and didn't notice anything amiss at all. I thought the 4:30am event was to check for OTAs and update the EPG (especially as the event is not permanently removeable) so that even if you never switched it out of 'blue light' mode it would all still work EPG wise.

Thanks.
I understand now, the Wakeup / Sleep period event is only needed to bring the HDR into 'blue light' mode.
If the box is left in 'blue light' mode all the time, then the RS can update the EPG events directly.

I assume you would need a reboot event for the "auto-update" package to work.

I thought the 4:30am event was to check for OTAs and update the EPG (especially as the event is not permanently removeable) so that even if you never switched it out of 'blue light' mode it would all still work EPG wise.

There has been a lot of talk about loss of series recordings in the second week of a holiday, This is usually put down to the fact that the EPG does not update while in standby because the 4:30 wake-up looks for OTA and does not updated the EPG

There has been a lot of talk about loss of series recordings in the second week of a holiday, This is usually put down to the fact that the EPG does not update while in standby because the 4:30 wake-up looks for OTA and does not updated the EPG
Agreed.

Ah yes of course it's coming back to me now - that was where the whole padding vs AR discussion went - any recording using AR would update the EPG (as it would check some minutes before it was due to start) but padding wouldn't because it only cared about the time. Setting a reminder entry would do the same thing because it brought the box fully into blue light mode.

@linuxtowers - on your other point I think the auto-update package uses a schedule to periodically check for and process the updates - not necessarily on reboot. I stress that I think that's how it works.

[EDIT] BlackHole got in there while I was typing - BH you were in the middle of the whole EPG thing so please correct me if I got it wrong. Ta

@linuxtowers - on your other point I think the auto-update package uses a schedule to periodically check for and process the updates - not necessarily on reboot. I stress that I think that's how it works.
I was thinking of installing the package to understand how it works, to see if it effects the RS and would still work if the box was kept in 'blue light' mode for a week or so, wouldn't want to miss any of the fantastic updates you guys are doing, can't bring myself to join Twitter, I'm only in manual poll mode...

A) If you manually boot the box from the remote, and quickly go into the "Media" area the box defaults to the "*edit" folder, the box restarts itself (not sure if it crashes, just get the 'start system' message), if you wait 60 seconds then its fine.

Interesting - that sounds like a Humax bug which is being triggered by the nicesplice-magic-folders package.

B) The http://hummypkg.org.uk web site "Hummy.tv Forum" link is broken, it takes you to http://www.hummy.tv/ instead of http://hummy.tv/forum/.
Fixed, thanks - I must have missed the previous post about that. Arguably it's hummy.tv that's broken : )

1) Could the new "auto-update" package, send you a notification e-mail of the package updates or does it add an event into the RS Recent Activity log, so you know what has been updated ?

Yes, that's a good idea - for those who have both auto-update and rs installed it would make sense.

I assume you would need a reboot event for the "auto-update" package to work.

No, it checks for updates once a day regardless of boots; obviously it doesn't check while the box is in standby and will catch up the next time it is up and running. If you leave your box on all the time then it will check approximately once every 24 hours.

Any chance of a TV/Radio filter on the advanced EPG search options?

For example I had clicked on Music/Ballet/Dance and naturally get a lot of radio responses but only want to see TV returns. (mostly looking at BBC4 documentaries)

LOVE the feature tho, click on Film/Drama and can see every movie on this week and pick what I want to record easy, Whoot!

p.s. where do the categorisations come from? Freeview? Robocop is coming up as a music program!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back