1.02.07 issues

It has also been reported with previous versions that you couldn't delete a recording that was still playing, so I do not see it as a bug, just a behaviour characteristic.:)

You will have to learn to stop playback of a recorded programme before starting another one playing.:D

never noticed it on older versions, i'll try to explain to my 6 year old lad that he must press stop first (he's going through a stage though , you cant tell him anything if he thinks he know how it works):)

never noticed it on older versions, i'll try to explain to my 6 year old lad that he must press stop first (he's going through a stage though , you cant tell him anything if he thinks he know how it works):)
I think that they all go through those phases.:rolleyes:

considering what you have to do to delete the file, if it was intended, it would have been in the manual.

as i've not seen it anywhere, it must be a bug with the software
The fact that you have not seen it anywhere, does not make it a bug.:)

The fact that you have not seen it anywhere, does not make it a bug.:)

ok then, lets recap what may or may not be a bug

if not stopped correctly file is locked, only thing available is sort and new folder.

the only way to unlock the file is to press play and then stop, however if you dont know that, your harddrive would soon fill up.
when there are multiple files locked, the 1st file you try may still stay locked, even after you do the play/stop procedure, you have to cycle through the locked files, and find the ones that will unlock, than you have to go back to the files that are still locked, and repeat the process, this you have to do as many times has necessary, until all the files are deleted.
if you do manage to unlock a lot of files first time round, you can only delete the maximum of two files at a time.

now if this was intended, as you have suggested, it must have been either april 1st or some ones last day after beening give their notice

or it was never intended, and therefore its a bug

You have a very strange way of using your HDR, I thought that it was customary with these things to stop a recording when you have finished watching it. If you do this, you will not have any problems deleting recordings. You should educate your family to use your HDR in a more conventional manner.

Where do you get the
you can only delete the maximum of two files at a time
from?:confused: I regularly delete more than two files at once, and have just deleted a batch of four without issue.

I think that the bug is with the operator, rather than the software.

You have a very strange way of using your HDR, I thought that it was customary with these things to stop a recording when you have finished watching it. If you do this, you will not have any problems deleting recordings. You should educate your family to use your HDR in a more conventional manner.

Where do you get the

from?:confused: I regularly delete more than two files at once, and have just deleted a batch of four without issue.

I think that the bug is with the operator, rather than the software.

has i have said before on this thread, its my 6 year old who is doing it, the two file thing is only on the files that where locked.

try for your self lock some files.

as for educating my family, just get rid of the bug

You shouldn't allow a 6 year old to operate your HDR then.

I still don't think that this is a bug, and so will have to agree to disagree.

Try teaching this method of unlocking files to someone elderly! Lol
Why should the end user have to follow a set procedure to perform a simple task?
Delete means delete. If there is an issue and the box can't delete at that time, then the user should be informed why.
Like I said earlier, it should override everything so that when you press delete, it does what you expect.
Anything else is poor design or a bug.

Try teaching this method of unlocking files to someone elderly! Lol
Why should the end user have to follow a set procedure to perform a simple task?
Delete means delete. If there is an issue and the box can't delete at that time, then the user should be informed why.
Like I said earlier, it should override everything so that when you press delete, it does what you expect.
Anything else is poor design or a bug.
There is no need to teach anyone, elderly or not, how to "unlock" files when there is no need to get into this situation in the first place. What is wrong with simply pressing stop when you have finished watching a recording? it seems so obvious, why would you want to do anything else?

You have a very strange way of using your HDR, I thought that it was customary with these things to stop a recording when you have finished watching it. If you do this, you will not have any problems deleting recordings.
Every PVR I have used lets me delete a recording which is still playing. If you can't and it is not documented then it is definitely a bug.

Brian you're missing the point. Why should the user have to remember to press a specific button first?
When you design a user interface you should take situations like that into consideration.
Imagine an elderly person struggling with that for instance.
1) they would think the box is broken
2) it would result in wasted calls to tech support or family
3) the end user by design, should not have to think about what the os maybe doing. Therfore a locked file that won't delete when the user specifically commands it to should be classed as a bug or dodgy design.

As a developer of software you need to think of the end user as a complete novice otherwise you push the problems onto customer service/tech support which eventually comes back to you.

Every PVR I have used lets me delete a recording which is still playing. If you can't and it is not documented then it is definitely a bug.
I have just tried to delete a recording that was still playing on my DigitalStream DHR-8205U box, and it would not let me delete it, there was a pop-up message saying "The file or folder you have selected is currently in use."

This box uses the same basic chipset as the HDR, so perhaps there is a hardware limitation, and this is why the HDR also can't delete a file in use. So maybe the HDR should pop-up a message to inform the user that the file can't be deleted whilst playing, then perhaps you would finally agree that it is not a bug.

If theres a message to alert the user as to why an action cannot be performed, then yes that is ok, not the ideal, just ok.
I still think that it should override though, no matter what. The system knows why it cant be deleted, so make it unlock the file first and then delete it.
Humax could easily add that command into the delete routine so that it unlocks and then deletes.
If you think about it, there are lots of circumstances where the stop button would not be used rendering the file as locked:
- pressing the power button
- pressing the portal button
- pressing the media button
- a power cut
- running a channel scan
All of which can be done on purpose or by accident.
Its not the chipset thats at fault, i think its a linux thing that can easily be overcome with a bit of programming knowledge, like background deleting.

If the firmware can know enough to tell you that the file is in use then it can perform the actions needed (ie Stop playback) before the Delete action. In fact it can attempt a Stop playback just in case anyway. It is a firmware bug which cannot hide behind chipset limitations.

Brian you're missing the point. Why should the user have to remember to press a specific button first?

It makes perfect sense to me that If I select delete on a recording in the media list I want to delete it. What I don't want to do is to go into the media list only to find out I can't delete a recording because it is still playing, then have to exit out of the media list, press stop and then go back into the media list and eventually delete the recording. Frustrating !

Previous to the Humax I had a Topfield 5800 running MyStuff and I never pressed Stop before deleting recordings. There was no need for this additional key press so I never pressed it. I now have to re-train my brain to always stop the playback of the recording before attempting to delete and in the meantime I will have to suffer with the frustration of Humax not deleting recordings when I ask it to.

Maybe it should pop up a message saying

'If you are trying to delete this recording, please exit out of the media list, press stop and then try again. I could stop the recoding for you but I can't be bothered'

i like the banality of this thread!!

sarcasm rules! i too am sure that i could always delete a playing file, but a simple message would suffice to confirm that you do intend to deleted the file yr currently watching, half the stuff i record turns out to be crap, so i guess this would save me upwards of ten kep strokes in an average week!

not a bug, but one for the wishlist is my humble opinion

i like the banality of this thread!!

sarcasm rules! i too am sure that i could always deletet a playing file, but a simple message would suffice to confirm that you do intend to deleted the file yr currently watching, half the stuff i record turns out to be crap, so i guess this would save me upwards of ten kep strokes in an average week!

not a bug, but one for the wishlist is my humble opinion
i've emailed humax with the ISSUE;)

i'll post the answer, if i get one

Back