1.02.28 - Reasons to be Cheerful???

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
The verdict on 1.02.27:
Good:
  • 4GB DLNA client bug cured
  • HD-FOX seems to have less trouble with failed warm starts (used to get upset if I cycled through standby in less than 10 minutes, but the improvement might be due to CF2.10). Update: not had a single one since, even in circumstances which would definitely have produced a failed boot previously.
  • Some people reporting HDMI handshaking improvements
  • Reported to handle Favourites better - doesn't switch away from them so easily (contribution from Brianmt)
Bad:
  • Retunes without user confirmation (kills recording schedule, auto-scan rather than manual tune) - we have a fix for this in the Custom Software.
  • Silly screen prompts for handset mode buttons and inappropriate button presses (if you have the right issue of handset) - matter of opinion
  • Audio Description made unusable (contribution from Luke)
  • Some people reporting HDMI handshaking worse
  • YouTube clips fail to play in the TV Portal - not absolutely confirmed whether this is a 1.02.27 issue but it looks increasingly likely

If we ignore the matter of the on-screen spam whenever one presses a mode button on the handset (like Marmite, a matter of taste and easily cured in my case by swapping to the older version of the RC), what are people now seeing with 1.02.28? Is the AD fixed? Is YouTube back? Does it wait for permission to retune???

1.02.28:

Good:
  • YouTube (TV Portal) repaired (following breakage in 1.02.27).
  • Sky Player (custom TV portal) working, live and on-demand (only live was available before, then it broke at the server end).
Bad:
  • Retunes without user confirmation (kills recording schedule, auto-scan rather than manual tune) - we have a fix for this in the Custom Software, disable-dso package.
  • Internet Radio (TV Portal) broken (now removed at the Humax end, unavailable for any firmware version).
  • Audio Description no different from 1.02.27. According to Luke it was last usable in 1.02.20 on StDef only.

I wasn't aware of the issue with retunes. I have to manually tune my tv to avoid problems. I may need to revert back to 1.02.20. I have not identified a problem yet, but I am not sure it is something that would be obvious, so I will look for other feedback.

Having spent 10 mintes wondering why my remote wasn't working, I am quite glade to see the icons.

I am now getting on-screen messages saying that to continue receiving this service you need to retune. I am not sure if this relates our recent dso or BBC Olympic plans or the new firmware.

I leave mine on 24/7 and it updated with the OTA last night.
Apart from being on BBC1 when I turned on the TV this morning, instead of the radio station I normally have on, it seemed happy.
Must remember to see if it cleared the recording list when I get home !!!

Does it wait for permission to retune???
No, it does not : (

Just this for three minutes, then straight into automatic search with the associated schedule deletion. Just like 1.02.27 - continue to install disable-dso!

retune.png

I came down this morning and had a look at my HD. It was on BBC News as last night, been on lunch time and this evening and no automatic search. Yet it’s been updated to 28.

Checked mine when I got home last night and it had updated to .28.
Recording schedule & favourite list were still intact, no retune message noticed
All seems to be working fine :)

I too have been OTA'd!!!!!! Serves me right for keeping putting it off - the first thing that alerted me was the idiot icon on screen when I used the Hummy remote to switch the TV source onto the PS3. My schedule was pretty light at the moment anyway but there are two series entries that just have dashes instead of the next episodes so it's not that it got wiped out but what's there isn;t going to do much. Anyway I guess I'm now overdue for some 'prepare for upgrade' and USB shenanigans!

Hhm! Am running a standard firmware (.20) Fox-T2 HDMI connected to a Sony Bravia KDL-40V5500, in Berkshire. Thus, have been DSO'd for 3 or four months and my Humax/Sony combo has been receiving the HD signals quite happily. Switched on this morning and the Humax came up onto BBC1 HD (which was what it was switched off on, last night). However, the TV was reporting "Unsupported Signal Type"!! Powercycled Humax and TV and 'normal operations' were resumed. Checked and wasn't surprised to see that Humax had been OTA'd - recording schedule seems to be OK and everything else seems to be working as it should be.....chalk it up to one of the universe's mysteries, I guess!

Why are people surprised the schedule remains intact following a firmware update? It's a RETUNE that wipes the schedule, hence the need for disable-dso!

If the south was anything like the north west was a couple of years ago, channels were swapping around all the time during the switch over hence multiple retunes. . Since the channels moved recording schedule's were rendered useless anyway. What amazes me is how many have massive recording schedules, only got 2 and next week it will go down to one, what the hell do you watch ?

If the south was anything like the north west was a couple of years ago, channels were swapping around all the time during the switch over hence multiple retunes. . Since the channels moved recording schedule's were rendered useless anyway. What amazes me is how many have massive recording schedules, only got 2 and next week it will go down to one, what the hell do you watch ?

No major re-tunes here in the South since DSO although there a516 Digital is reporting (http://a516.blogspot.co.uk/p/4g-clearance-retunes.html) that all the UK will have to do a re-tune later int he year (after the Olympics) so they can assign more channels for 4G.

As to what we watch, well a lot of recording is being done to have something to watch while the Olympics is on, and a lot of my schedule are reminders.

Why are people surprised the schedule remains intact following a firmware update? It's a RETUNE that wipes the schedule, hence the need for disable-dso!

Yes of course sorry. I think I got confused (really not hard!) because when the prvious version turned up it invoked the re-tune thing thus wiping the schedule, but it all got talked about in the same places as the firmware arriving so I mistakenly joined them up as firmware arriving > loss of schedule rather than firmware arriving > forces retune = loss of schedule.

Hmmm so if I got .28 via OTA then will it have retuned me at some point when I wasn't looking? Sorry if this got covered before I have not been able to keep up with all the developments (and posts) over the last couple of months - not so much time to kill at work nowadays :-(

Note to self : get cf for .28 installed and put the disable OTA package on asap (although I guess there may not be many (any) more updates now the obvious 4gb fix is in and the resultant tweaks to the other bits now made).

Back