700 MHz clearance

There's always Freesat.
I don't have a dish or a Freesat receiver, and I don't really want to get into that just for BBC4 HD. We're losing it as a broadcast channel in 3 years anyway, and it's already almost been turned into a repeats only channel. So while a few years ago I would have killed to keep BBC4 HD, I'm not sure it's worth it now.

New Montalbano ep tomorrow (Sat) :)
OK, repeats and foreign imports channel. I really liked Spiral and many of the scandi-noir imports, but Spiral has finished and scandi-noir has moved to other channels (and appears to have lost its mojo anyway).

News that is local to me is local news, it isn't wrong to describe it that way
You really are an ignorant idiot. Very Trump-like (and I mean Donald, not Judd).
Given I live just north of Cambridge, what is being canned there in November?
TV Regional News production. Your programme which currently comes from Cambridge will come from Norwich, like for the East of the region.
Similarly South Today from Oxford will disappear and people that currently receive that will receive South Today from Southampton.
when the local mux started wasn't some licence fee money diverted to the project?
Yes. I think it was for 3 years.

Last edited:
TV Regional News production. Your programme which currently comes from Cambridge will come from Norwich, like for the East of the region.
Not a problem for me as I never watch it. I get my news either on radio or on the web. Presumably some people will miss it.

What? Oxford is nearer Bristol than Southampton!
The way areas are defined is strange and annoying. We live near Southampton (across the Water on the edge of the New Forest) and although there is a South in terms of TV coverage, surveys only give a choice of location of South-East or South-West.
So how advertisers decide where to spend their TV money must be an interesting exercise.

What I don't understand is why it took so long.
Equipment and skilled staff shortages? Plus lack of money to throw at the job?

AIUI the BBC HD English Regions funded largely by ITV HD Regions upgrades require a complete rebuild of the HD Code and Multiplex x 2 (A and B sort of main/reserve) per C&M Centre (two of them also) and all the ancillary kit and circuitry changes needed for that (it was BT point (C&M) to multipoint (transmitters) when I was involved). Likely that has priority for most staff planning, building and testing systems.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discu...beebies-hd-appear-to-be-live-finally-on-psb-3 has some useful threads/info also. One ex-colleague of mine is on that thread and is an expert but now also retired, I believe. He notes that the peak bitrate exceeds 40Mbit/s at times on the spiky graphical. NB your 33% null packets was for one instant measurement in time only.

I take it from the bombardment of of sitcom episodes these last few night on BBC FOUR, the end is nigh?

That is my understanding of the current schedule. It's supposed to be becoming an archive channel, isn't it? Have to admit not watched much on BBC FOUR recently. Even the current set of foreign series aren't gripping me.
In about 3 years it's becoming an online only channel. I don't see what that saves the BBC if the channel is only showing archive content.

The way the BBC keep ending every trail with iPlayer you'd think they want to chuck everything online and stop Freeview transmissions - probably saving quite a bit. Ditto UKTV & UKTV Play. Ah, owned by BBC Studios. That'll be why I think the player bit at the end of every trail has a similar format.

Back