Amusing Items

Ha. I had something similar with an elderly neighbour few years ago. He called round to say that he couldn’t hear when he tried to use is hands free landline phone.
He had mistakenly placed his TV remote control handset into the phone handset’s cradle and was trying to make a call with the TV remote!

It was like a scene from a comedy show. If I hadn’t seen it for myself I would have thought someone was taking the pee.

Something "Victor Meldrew" happened to me the other day, I distinctly remember that it did... but I can't remember what it was!

Thought it was a large flower pot.
Oh yes, I expect you're right. They're much the same shape though, which is probably where I went wrong.
If it wasn't that incident, then maybe it was the pub sign... :D
No, it was in an ever growing village called Edwalton on what used to be part of the green belt.
Yes, been fighting a similar battle not very far away... and lost. They won't be happy until they've carpeted over everywhere with developments.

Yes, been fighting a similar battle not very far away... and lost. They won't be happy until they've carpeted over everywhere with developments.
How long before Clifton reaches Gotham, or Gamston meets Cotgrave? :eek: I'm finding it more difficult to have a nice quiet walk in the countryside. The countryside is moving further away and I have to walk down busy roads to get to it (and "they've" started charging for a free bus). Who was it who said there were grumpy old men on this forum? (MikeSh I think).

Ah yes BH, but don't for goodness sake suggest 'we' should restrict immigration or 'they' will hang you up by the bollox for being racist.

...which is the problem. Any measure with a possibility of halting climate change / pollution / energy shortage / water shortage / food shortage (take your pick) is certain to be outvoted by the population.

and no politician dare mention birth control, especially such extreme methods
We cannot survive without an ever growing population. Consumerism demands ever increasing consumption, we are already relying on the taxation of future generations to fund the pensions of the elderly with immigration needed to bolster consumerism and provide more funds from taxation. Its the reason why China has now dropped the one child policy and the why Japan is so scared about the rapid decrease in their birth rates forcing them to make foreign workers more welcome. The only hope there is for this planet is if we can find a viable alternative to the unsustainable system that we have all so willingly adopted. Obviously this will never happen because it means the fat cats will no longer get all the cream and the rest of us will have to have our milk rationed. However I suspect the fools in power will eventually attempt to use WW3 as a way to address the situation only to find that it has made it worse by reducing the percentage of the taxable working population whilst increasing the percentage of the elderly. Happy 2020 everyone and thank the gods that you were not born any later as there is no light at the end of this tunnel.

We cannot survive without an ever growing population
Add "economically" to that and I agree with you, but neither can we survive with an ever-growing population (which is the thrust of the rest of your post).

As individuals, all we can do is live as best we can within the social/economic/legal framework we find ourselves.

As individuals, all we can do is live as best we can within the social/economic/legal framework we find ourselves.
Which is the very root which you alluded to in #113 - individuals. Unless we can learn to act as a coherent group, much as you see in science fiction like Star Trek or Iain M Banks 'Culture', the those selfish individual, family, or small* group aims and desires will usually negate the greater good.

( * small as in not global - the US or China are small groups in this context)

Back