Amusing Items

Ha. I had something similar with an elderly neighbour few years ago. He called round to say that he couldn’t hear when he tried to use is hands free landline phone.
He had mistakenly placed his TV remote control handset into the phone handset’s cradle and was trying to make a call with the TV remote!

It was like a scene from a comedy show. If I hadn’t seen it for myself I would have thought someone was taking the pee.

There was a similar incident when I was an apprentice. The company I was doing my radio apprenticeship with in NZ was looking at assembling telephones sourced from GE UK. For some reason we had a sample phone and it was passed to the guy in the mechnical workshop for some reason. It happened to be the same colour as the telephone in the workshop, so one of the other apprentices hid the sample under the bench and put its handset on the real phone. In due course someone rang the extension nad apparently it was quite fun to watch the workshop guy lift the handset and attempt to talk on it. The other amusing thing was you could hea rthis tinny voice coming from the real handset under the table.

The "grounded coffee" sign (post #79) has been changed - unfortunately for the worse!

8ba25d76f411b0112ed8ebdfa43ac68a.jpg

What the heck are the arrows all about? Has the writer decided that, because they see arrows on their computer screen when tabulating, they're supposed to be written?!! Aaarrrggghhhh!!

What the heck are the arrows all about? Has the writer decided that, because they see arrows on their computer screen when tabulating, they're supposed to be written?!! Aaarrrggghhhh!!
Possibly was to preoccupied thinking ahead as to whether it's "COFFEE'S" or "COFFEES".

No. It's a Cla BLT and owner noticed that it had been spelled incorrectly.
Fair enough, but isn't it usual to put your sic in square brackets? Cla [sic] B.L.T
Unlike BH, I don't have a problem with the arrows. It's the sort of thing I use all the time when writing on scraps of paper. Not sure I would commit to a blackboard though. (Are we allowed to use the term blackboard these days? Board of colour, maybe.)
The arrow, and the apostrophe, on the coffee line are a problem.

I don't have a problem with the arrows.
What are they supposed to indicate? What are the numbers without pound signs? If anything, the arrows need to be the other way around IMO (although a mathematician might say otherwise - "maps to", in this case individual elements of the set "prices", forming a subset... but a many-to-one mapping not one-to-one).

What are they supposed to indicate?
Not a lot. But using "maps to" is too complicated for a greasy spoon. I'm just saying the arrows wouldn't bother me. Neither would the lack of the pound sign. Context is everything. You are not going to have 3.95 jacket potatoes. Although I am concerned about the cost of the cheese burger and chips [£]495 :eek: .
I'll concede that the original blackboard (post #79) format is preferable - apart from the grounded coffee.

There doesn't have to be a PC version of "whiteboard", because (apparently) it's only racist to refer to non-Caucasians by any particular label - non-Caucasians can call Caucasians whatever they like and get away with it.

Back