Amusing Items

Or you could ask why it matters when we use colours to describe inanimate objects rather than to pigeon-hole people by their skin colour?

pigeon-hole people by their skin colour
Let's see... what would be the most obvious feature if you are trying to give a description? Who says "description" is synonymous with "pigeon hole"? Who says there's no correlation between ethnic origin and social attitudes/values?

Features are relevant to understanding.

Seen on the twitter feed of Nottingham City Transport:
5 min journey took 1 hour. Allow this amount of time anywhere in the city, it’s only one toad that is closed but the whole city has come to a virtual standstill.
:rolling:

I remember the misery of the early 70s roadwork chaos...
What's annoying about the current problems is that it is the newer bridge that's falling apart. I can't remember whether there have been problems with the older bridge.

Well lad, they don't build 'em like they used to.
Indeed. As BH might tell you, the original Severn Crossing is going rusty in all the cables and is being carefully monitored. It's only a few years over 50.
The Humber Bridge is the same design so presumably also has eyes being kept on it.
Then there was that new one that fell down in Genoa, Italy last year.
Most of the Victorian ones seem to be still going strong.
The Clifton Suspension Bridge (150+) has had its fair share of problems. About 10 years ago one of the drop rods (or whatever they're called) snapped and was only discovered when reported by a member of the public. At the moment there are several (at least 4) temporary linkages in place presumably while they are repairing others that have caused problems.

But that one is all brick and stuff. Nothing flash like Mr Brunel's erection.
It is one of Mr Brunel's erections. At the time it was way over there in terms of "You're gonna do what?", and yet today carries faster and heavier trains than ever imagined at the time.
A bit over engineered perhaps :oops:

The Clifton Suspension Bridge (150+) has had its fair share of problems.
You should see the way the bridge at Ironbridge has been patched up (but I suspect that's pre-Victorian).

the original Severn Crossing is going rusty in all the cables and is being carefully monitored. It's only a few years over 50.
The Humber Bridge is the same design so presumably also has eyes being kept on it.
This is why "cable stay" bridges (as per the Second Severn Crossing, AKA Prince of Wales Bridge) are now the fashion instead of suspension bridges. Their design uses multiple separate cables (presumably with redundancy built in), so when it comes to replacing rusty cables they can be taken out of service one at a time.

The Iron Bridge, a 100-foot cast iron bridge that opened in 1781
Long before Victoria

Wasn't the Clifton partly constructed by second hand bits from an earlier Thames suspension bridge?
I could Google, but that would kill the interesting conversation.

Wasn't the Clifton partly constructed by second hand bits from an earlier Thames suspension bridge?
Yes, I seem to recall something of that nature. There was a TV series about the history of several British bridges.

Back