Amusing Items

:eek:

I suggest you give that serious consideration. The price has been up and down lately, but currently you're looking at £20k worth, and you will want to cash that in before the bottom falls out (I presume it will, when the national currencies decide to outlaw it). At it's peak, that was £50k worth.
To be honest I am not sure how to go about trying. The PC had the blue screen of death and if I remember correctly rescue discs failed to get me anywhere. Any advice would be grateful. I was still on dial up back then with Clara.net and using a Clara.net e.mail address, maybe I can still access my old e.mails and find some clues there as to when and who gave me the Bitcoin. I also have found a long number/letter code on a scrap of paper from back then but I have no idea what it relates too.

Don't even think about firing up the PC! I would connect the HDD to another PC, preferably running Linux (safer than Windows) and preferably via a USB adapter (AND only hot-plug it once Linux is up and running). Then you can have a good look around at the disk structure using GPartEd, then finally mount and explore any file systems. Its a lot easier than it sounds, just a case of dipping a toe.

I know very little about Bitcoin practicalities, but assume you are only looking for a file which acts as a cryptographic token rather than anything executable. That "number/letter code" of which you speak could be it.

Update: A quick trawl of the 'net suggests you are looking for an encrypted file called wallet.dat, and the code you have a note of may be the key for accessing wallet.dat using the Bitcoin client software (which you can just download and install). The blockchain records confirming your ownership of the Bitcoin then relate to data within wallet.dat.

If this is correct, all you need from the HDD is the wallet.dat file. Everything else is available elsewhere.

Last edited:
To be honest I am not sure how to go about trying. The PC had the blue screen of death and if I remember correctly rescue discs failed to get me anywhere. Any advice would be grateful. I was still on dial up back then with Clara.net and using a Clara.net e.mail address, maybe I can still access my old e.mails and find some clues there as to when and who gave me the Bitcoin. I also have found a long number/letter code on a scrap of paper from back then but I have no idea what it relates too.
Could your scrap of paper be a 'bitcoin paper wallet' (look It up), there will be a couple of QR codes and two long strings of data (DONT post an image).

Don't even think about firing up the PC! I would connect the HDD to another PC, preferably running Linux (safer than Windows) and preferably via a USB adapter (AND only hot-plug it once Linux is up and running). Then you can have a good look around at the disk structure using GPartEd, then finally mount and explore any file systems. Its a lot easier than it sounds, just a case of dipping a toe.

I know very little about Bitcoin practicalities, but assume you are only looking for a file which acts as a cryptographic token rather than anything executable. That "number/letter code" of which you speak could be it.

Update: A quick trawl of the 'net suggests you are looking for an encrypted file called wallet.dat, and the code you have a note of may be the key for accessing wallet.dat using the Bitcoin client software (which you can just download and install). The blockchain records confirming your ownership of the Bitcoin then relate to data within wallet.dat.

If this is correct, all you need from the HDD is the wallet.dat file. Everything else is available elsewhere.
Thanks for the advice, as a total non swimmer with a phobia for water even dipping my toe fills me with dread :unsure:. I have zero experience of Linux, can it be installed alongside windows or only as a replacement? How much memory does it require as my laptop is pretty full?, could it be run from an external hard drive? I assume that I would need to put the Tiny hard drive into a caddy ( never done that before and would need to purchase ).So much food for thought.

Could your scrap of paper be a 'bitcoin paper wallet' (look It up), there will be a couple of QR codes and two long strings of data (DONT post an image).
I do not have it to hand at the moment, it is just a long hand written series of numbers and letters, I will dig it out over the weekend for a better look.

For the potential stakes involved you need to overcome this timidity. It's only a case of being methodical.

You can download many versions (if not all?) of Linux in a form which boot directly from the installation medium and run in RAM - try before you buy. In particular, there are system rescue downloads which are not intended to be installed at all. Basically, provided you have system access to the BIOS boot order, you can start up anything without accessing the hard drive (which is what we are trying to avoid).

Stone of Scone: jam on top or cream on top?

So now I realise the inhabitants of Frome are basically ex-pat Scots.

Don't know, don't know, think of a number and double it, I'm sure we all want to know that, magic, when you're in you're out and when you're out you're in, ...(15) use the menu item that says retune - doh! ...(17) nothing,...(19) see above.

19 amused me in the context of previous posts; 4 amused me in the context of Yours Truly; 9... REALLY???; 12 & 13 WTF!!! Does nobody learn anything at school these days (inc 9)?

As for 6: only players need to know the "rules" (cricketers call them laws) of cricket – what is far more important for the novice spectator is to understand the principles behind the game. Only then does it make sense (and limited-overs matches make no sense at all).

and limited-overs matches make no sense at all
Really? As in most versions of the game, score as many runs/take as many wickets as possible within the number of overs. Most runs wins. Except when Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method applies, then :dunno:

OK, well it depends on the phrase "makes sense" – makes sense in general, or makes sense in terms of the game of cricket (I meant the latter).

Proper cricket (time limited, not limited overs): to win, a team not only has to score the most runs, but also get the ten wickets of the other side. If they bat first, that means the possibility of "declaring" (ie surrendering any remaining wickets) so as to allow enough time to get the other side out.

Cricket originated as a rest-day sport between neighbouring villages and manors, and this mechanism allows teams of mismatched ability still to have a good match – not so much the imperative to win as the taking part. If team A is strong and team B is weak, by digging in and defending wickets rather than going for runs team B has a chance of forcing a draw, and team A will have to make strategic decisions to achieve a win. Thus team A's goal is a win and team B's goal is not to lose.

By contrast, limited-overs "cricket" is simply score the most runs until your overs or wickets run out (whichever comes first). My dad was a weekend cricketer, and I've seen the retrogression from Friendly to League first-hand. When village teams formed into county leagues (and then money becomes involved), a draw is no longer a satisfactory outcome, hence the loss of the aesthetic aspect of the game.

That said, limited-overs matches between teams of similar ability can be very exciting... but not until the last half a dozen overs of the match (the rest of the match is just the set-up for the drama at the end). EG: six overs to go, two wickets remaining, 30 runs to win.

The County Championship and International Tests remain bastions of time-limited cricket, having two innings each over the course of 3-5 days.

Post-script:

It used to be the case that organising a "friendly" cricket match was straightforward: all you needed was a farmer's field and two teams. There were even itinerant teams who borrowed other pitches (including municipal parks). Now, to start a team and join the local league means meeting the league's minimum standards for facilities (including separate changing rooms for match officials), safeguarding, and god alone knows what else. It's a very high bar.

It used to be a family affair. Dad played in the match, mums got involved with the social aspects and organised teas and scoring, we kids played outside the boundary, and everyone had an eye on everyone else. Now wives and girlfriends don't want to be involved, so now the expectation for a tea to be provided has been dropped from league rules.

Last edited:
The laws of cricket reference reminded me of a thought I had recently. If a run is called short, should not both runs be called short?

Hmm. I'm not that well versed in the laws, just an interested observer. There is something about batsmen crossing – IIRC if they cross they are not allowed to return to their previous crease (not that it is likely to happen), but turning short of the crease is the same as that shirley? Maybe that only applies if both batsmen were short.

It is justifiable to dock just one run if one is short, because the equivalent distance has been run.

There will always be anomalies, and in village cricket there were local laws specific to grounds (much like golf) – eg, if the ball hits a tree which happens to be within the boundary, does it count as a four if it hit the ground first and a six otherwise?

That said, limited-overs matches between teams of similar ability can be very exciting... but not until the last half a dozen overs of the match (the rest of the match is just the set-up for the drama at the end). EG: six overs to go, two wickets remaining, 30 runs to win.
I've a feeling the only cricket match I've seen in person at Trent Bridge was a one day match. That was so long ago (>50 years) I can't remember the actual format. You are right, limited over matches only get exciting in the last few overs. I much preferred to watch 5 day tes mot matches on TV with the teams in white kit and no sponsor logos everywhere (with TV sound off and TMS commentary on - before digital TV/radio so the delay wasn't noticeable).
eg, if the ball hits a tree which happens to be within the boundary, does it count as a four if it hit the ground first and a six otherwise?
There was an umpire (retired?) used to appear on TMS who answered a question like this. Can't remember the exact reply, but I think it involved agreeing these things before the start of the match
It is justifiable to dock just one run if one is short, because the equivalent distance has been run.
Wonder what would happen if a batsman consistently ran short. Eg. run three but ran short twice. 1, 2, 3 or no runs?

Back