AR Effectiveness Survey

I always like more info, but I'm not sure if it matters exactly how a broadcast buggers up the AR (presuming it does).
I just thought it might be relevant in adding cleverness to the settings in the AR controls if there was any kind of logic behind how the device handled overlaps and/or conflicts (without deliberately clashing late night weatherview recordings with roulette on ITV to stumble across what's going on). The bit about the type of AR data (time or Event ID) could also add something to the decision process when deciding whether AR is kept on a schedule or not i.e. if the AR type is only on time alone and not Event ID then that might help us decide one way versus the AR type being Event ID (on it's own or combined with time) could give us different reliability. But if not? Well like I said if it's no help, never mind - better to mention it and not need it than need it and not mention it.

Crucial:- to try and clear up some of your 'Don't Knows / NAs. For Q6 in the Menu >> Settings >> Preferencies >> Recording >> if both Start and End padding are set to OFF then padding is OFF, This means that Accurate Recording or AR is ON. For Q10 have you had many recordings that are not viewable? they may be marked as 'Failed to track' or some similar comment

Thanks Ezra for the help, please see below for my altered findings

1. Mendip
2. No
3. Dont know
4. No
5. No
6. Yes
7. No
8. Yes
9. No
10. No

Great, we have a match. Now I just have to see if Crucial records any programmes which fail for me. If you can give me a clue on your habits, I'll set up some tests.

Great, we have a match. Now I just have to see if Crucial records any programmes which fail for me. If you can give me a clue on your habits, I'll set up some tests.

I don't really have a a habit, though my wife records 'Midsummer Murders', and the New Sherlock. If you want me to try and record anything you suspect, give me a shout and I'll set it up.

My benchmark is Weatherview on BBC1 StDef, although it's not a great test because I've had no trouble with it other than two nights over Christmas. However, as it is a daily event that moves around and is only a 4-minute recording well out of the way of other likely events, it's a low-overhead monitor.

Sherlock failed to record in StDef last Sunday and I am set for that again this coming Sunday - if you record that in HiDef and you have a tuner free, set it up for StDef as well (I don't do much in HiDef because of the additional problems with handling, the extra disk space, and mostly I find StDef quite good enough). StDef is thought to be more suspect (AR-wise) than HiDef.

I have set up the SD version of Sherlock to record on Sunday, and I already have the series record of Sherlock in Hidef setup, I checked the previous 2 copies of Sherlock and, both HD and they play fine.

I will report back when its recorded.

I thought I read somewhere that you couldn't set the same programme to record on SD and HD using the same box, but may be mistaken.

1. Durris
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. Yes (795 Challenge - No programme currently being broadcast..)
6. Yes
7. No
8. Yes
9. No
10. No
Climber, the first few questions are designed to weed out people who might be receiving from multiple regions, because the common suspicion when AR fails is mixed-region EPG confusion. Question 2 says you are sure you are not receiving from more than one transmitter, 3 says you could receive from more than one, but 4 says you took no measures to ensure you are not tuned to more than one, and 5 says you have stations in the 800's which implies you are receiving from more than one transmitter (i'm not sure where 795 comes into it).

I thought I read somewhere that you couldn't set the same programme to record on SD and HD using the same box, but may be mistaken.
Don't think so, I've done it anyway. Something in the EPG says one is an alternative for the other and offers you a choice when you ask to record either, but it doesn't stop you recording both if you choose.

Don't think so, I've done it anyway. Something in the EPG says one is an alternative for the other and offers you a choice when you ask to record either, but it doesn't stop you recording both if you choose.
Have you done it with a series link in both SD and HD, I thought that I had read that it would drop one of the recordings although I'm not sure which.

Climber, the first few questions are designed to weed out people who might be receiving from multiple regions

Sorry! The 795 was a case of senile dementia. :)
I also think that I picked up the question a little wrongly. I was thinking about transmitters. I have a relay less than a mile away, but its signal is very weak (both transmitters serve the same region). I assume now that you are after the possibility of receiving from transmitters serving different regions and if so my answers are irrelevant. Just confirm and I'll delete my results.

Multiple sources, whether from different regions or the same, might corrupt the EPG/now-next data.

If you have done and automatic tune it will have scanned all channels, and any duplicates will have created services in the 800 region. If you don't have any duplicates, it suggests you are not receiving from multiple transmitters (except in the incredibly unlikely situation that you happen to receive A B and C from one transmitter and D E and F from another).

Oo.. Oo... Hummy's warmed up ready for the flag....

Oh No! Now/next info (on the telly) changed during the end credits of Call the Midwife, but no sign of the Humax actually recording even now Sherlock has started.

ok, I have not watched more than 1 minute of either, but they both did record on SD and Hidef, only seconds before the program starting, so I'm pretty impressed.

Back